Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) based custom ROM has been released for Sony’s flagship device Xperia S LT26i. Thanks to XDA Recognized Developer FXP (FreeXperia Team Member) who has put all his efforts to bring latest Android version to Xperia S. Cyanogenmod 10 brings all the goodness of Jelly bean which includes performance improvement, smooth interface (Project butter), smart keyboard, offline voice typing, swipe notifications & lot more. Since the ROM is ported recently, it is still under development therefore, the customization options which may be found out in official Cyanogenmod 10 after release aren’t present in this unofficial port.
The ROM is released in RC stage hence it may contain some bugs. Of course, those will be fixed as development goes on. But before ensure that you are comfortable to go ahead with this custom ROM. Follow the guide mentioned here to taste Jelly bean (Cyanogenmod 10) on Xperia S.
Disclaimer : The Procedure described in this article are risky & can cause damage to your device. You should not try to attempt this if you are not aware of these things. Please follow this guide completely at your own risk. If any damage happened to your device while following this tutorial, neither we nor developer should be held responsible for the same.
Please note that, this update of Cyanogenmod 10 is applicable only for Xperia S bearing model number LT26i. DON’T try it on any other device, it may cause damage to your phone..
- Charge your phone at least up to 70% so that flashing process wont get interrupted.
- It is highly recommended to backup all your data from internal memory (includes contacts, messages (SMS/MMS), call logs, Internet APNs etc.). Your phone data will get lost after installation of this ROM (excluding External storage).
- Before proceeding to the actual installation procedure, ensure that you have unlocked the bootloader of your device. If you’ve not done it already, follow this guide.
- Custom Recovery like Clockworkmod must be installed in order flash this ROM. If you’ve not installed it yet, follow this guide.
- Please note that the above two steps are very much essential to install Cyanogenmod 10 on Xperia S.
Procedure to Install Cyanogenmod 10 on Sony Xperia S:
- Download latest Cyanogenmod 10 package from the official development page (link is mentioned below) :
CM10 for Xperia S. Filename: FXPxxx-cm-10-xxxxxxxx-UNOFFICIAL-nozomi.zip
- (Optional) Download Google Add-on Apps (Gmail, Maps, GTalk, Play Store etc.) which are not present in ROM by default.
Google Apps (Jelly Bean).
- After downloading CM10, connect your device to PC. Enable mass storage mode on it. Now transfer CM10 package & Google Apps to your device’s internal SD card.
- Now disconnect the phone from computer. Boot in recovery mode on your phone. To do so, switch off the phone, switch it on again, when phone is restarting (during boot logo & LED turns blue), press Volume up button. Your phone will land in recovery mode.
- Take a nandroid backup of your current ROM so that it can be restored back (in case if anything goes wrong). To backup your current ROM, select Backupand Restore option from the recovery mode & on next screen, select backup. Now It will make a nandroid backup of your whole system (excluding SD card). Wait for the backup process to get finished.
- Now Select “install zip from sdcard” & then “choose zip from sdcard“. Navigate the ROM file (which you’ve transferred earlier) Select it & press on ‘Yes‘ to continue. ROM installation process will start.
- Wait for the ROM to get installed. After ROM gets successfully installed, your phone will land in the recovery mode again.
(Optional) The same procedure you have to do for installation of Google Apps. (Just don’t do the above step i.e, wiping data after installation of Gapps). After you finished installation of Gapps, press back button to go to main menu of CWM.
- Select wipe data/factory reset & wipe cache partition to wipe all the data & caches from the phone memory respectively.
- Select reboot system now from the recovery mode to Restart the phone. Switch off it again (since the procedure is not completed yet). Just keep the phone aside.
- Now download the ADB & fastboot files which we will need to flash the kernel image.
- ADB & Fastboot Files
- Extract the rar file to a convenient location/folder (Fastboot Folder).
- Open Cyanogenmod 10 ROM package using WinRAR or 7-zip, extract boot.img file (which is nothing but a kernel) to any convenient location. (It is located in the root directory of the ROM).
- Now move the kernel file (boot.img) where ADB & fastboot files are located.
- On the phone (while switched off), enter into the fastboot mode. To do so, Connect your phone to the computer. While connecting press Volume up button to trigger fastboot mode.
- Open the folder which contains ADB & Fastboot files.
- Runcommandprompt.bat file to open command prompt pointing to the ADB & Fastboot folder.
- Type the following command in command prompt to flash the kernel file:
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- Restart the phone by typing “fastboot reboot” (without quotes) in command prompt.
Congratulations !! Your Xperia S is now running Jelly Bean (Android 4.1) in the form of Cyanogenmod 10 Let us know your opinions about this newly installed ROM. In case if you need a help, feel free to comment it below, we will try our best to sort out the same.
And don’t forget to keep checking official development page for the updates.
Tip: In case if you want to restore back to your previous ROM , enter into recovery mode, select Backupand Restore option from the recovery mode & on next screen, select restore & choose your latest backup to restore.