Sony Xperia Arc, the most famous Android smartphone has received the latest Android 4.4.2 KitKat update. It was Android 4.0.4 Ice cream Sandwich after which this device stopped getting further official updates. This is where the third party android developers came into focus. They with their hard work launched a fresh new KitKat look Carbon ROM especially for Sony Xperia Arc users. This ROM will completely change the experience with your device. Some of its change logs are listed below. Check them out.
- Switched to Slim’s Camera App.
- Fix Lockscreen rotation.
- Added Custom Lockscreen background color.
- Added cLock settings back to Lockscreen settings.
- Added Menu and home button unlock.
- Added camera button functionality for applicable devices.
- Fixed issue for users using Xposed and having the navbar be enabled on boot even though navbar is disabled.
- Added Spanish (espanol-ES) translations to Carbon Fibers.
- Fixes to Italian Translations in Carbon Fibers.
- Added Slim’s Power Menu.
- UV all frequencies to improve battery life.
- Decreased RAM by 1 Mb for stability.
Keep in mind that this is Nightly build Custom ROM and not an official firmware. So there are chances of few bugs and issues which are expected to get fixed in further upcoming updates. Till then you can enjoy the Android 4.4.2 KitKat feel on your Xperia Arc using the guide given below.
Disclaimer: The Android 4.4.2 update for Sony Xperia Arc via Carbon ROM is considered to be of much risk and even a slight change can highly damage your device. So follow everything properly and at your own risk. Neither we nor the developers are responsible if your mobile is crashed. Although the chances of getting you device damaged are least but still we strongly recommend you to follow all the instructions perfectly without a single mistake.
Download links & steps mentioned in this article will work only on Sony Xperia Arc LT15i. Don’t try to perform them any other device else it may result in undesirable outcomes. To know your device’s model number, do this on your phone- Settings –> About Device –> Model Number.
- Make sure that your mobile is charged at least up to 70% so as to minimize the risk of switching off during the flashing process.
- Also we highly recommend you to backup all your Phone data and settings including contacts, SMS/MMS and call logs etc. to external memory card or PC since everything gets wiped in the last step of this procedure.
- How to Backup Android Contacts and Text Messages (SMS/MMS).
- How to backup Call logs and APNs from your Android Device.
- How to backup Notes and Memos.
- (Important) Before proceeding to the actual flashing process, ensure that you have unlocked the bootloader of your device. Note that you’ll lose all data after unlocking the bootloader.
- (Important) Custom Recovery like Clockworkmod is required to flash Carbon ROM. If you haven’t installed it yet then refer this article.
Download all required files for flashing Carbon ROM on PC.
After downloading all above files, connect your phone to PC and copy Carbon ROM & Google Apps files on its storage memory.
Procedure to Install Carbon ROM on Sony Xperia Arc:
Following article is divided into two different parts. First part includes kernel installation & other includes the Carbon ROM installation.
- To flash the kernel, you’ll have to use Fastboot mode of your phone. To get into fastboot mode, do this- switch off the device. Now by holding Menu button, connect the phone to PC. As soon as PC recognizes the connection, phone’s LED will turn blue & it should boot into fastboot mode.
- On PC, make a folder & name it as ‘Fastboot’. Using 7 zip or WinRAR software, extract fastboot files zip package to this folder.
- Open Carbon ROM package. From its root folder, extract ‘boot.img’ file to any convenient location.
- Move ‘boot.img’ file to Fastboot folder so that the folder should now contain total 6 files inside it.
- Open Fastboot folder & Run ‘runme.lnk’ file. This should open a command prompt window. Enter the following commands in that window.
fastboot -i 0xfce flash boot boot.img
fastboot -i 0xfce reboot
- After entering second command, your phone will get rebooted. It may not reboot properly and may get stuck on Sony logo. But don’t worry! This is normal.
- Disconnect the phone from PC.
- Switch off the phone again (by holding power button / removing battery). Boot into recovery mode. For doing so, switch on the phone & repeatedly tap Volume up button. Your device should now boot into recovery mode.
- First thing you should do in the recovery mode is- make a nandroid backup of your current ROM / Firmware. To do so, select ‘backup and restore’ –> ‘backup’. To know more about nandroid backup, refer this article.
- Select ‘wipe data/factory reset’ and on next screen, confirm the wipe. This will erase all the data from phone memory.
- For ROM installation, select ‘install zip from sdcard’ –> ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Navigate to the location where you’ve copied the ROM file earlier & select it. Confirm the installation by pressing on ‘Yes – Install CARBON-KK-NIGHTLY-2014xxxx-xxxx-anzu.zip’.
- After ROM installation is done, perform the same process for installing Google Apps.
- Finally select ‘reboot system now’ to restart the phone. First restart may take up to 5 minutes. So don’t go crazy. Have some patience 😉
Voila! You’ve successfully flashed Android 4.4.2 KitKat based Carbon ROM on your Sony Xperia Arc. Do let us know how Carbon ROM is doing for you. If you’ve any doubts or questions regarding the procedure above then don’t hesitate to tell them in the comment section below. Happy flashing!