ZTE Blade was launched by China’s ZTE corporation for Android platform in 2010. This device is also marked as Orange San Fransisco on Orange networks, Dell XCD35 or Idea Blade in India. In China it is known as ZTE-U V880. It has features like 600MHz processor, 256 MB or 512 MB RAM (depending upon variant). Originally the device was launched with Android 2.1 Eclair.
This device became very popular worldwide. It has such a huge support of developers. Technology advances so quickly that compared to new phones currently available in the market this device may seem to have a bit low specs but almost all the ROMs are available to this phone. Now Cyanogenmod 10.1 is available for this device which is based on Google’s latest Android 4.2.
Now ZTE Blade users can enjoy all the latest features of latest Jelly Bean 4.2 such as actionable notifications, daydream, smooth interface etc. As the ROM is in development stage you may come across some non-working features but as the updated builds are released, they will be fixed. List of working features is given below.
- Mobile network & data
- Audio (playback/input/routing/headphones/etc)
- Camera (photos, camcorder & panorama)
- Hardware acceleration and OpenGL rendering
- Hardware video decoding & encoding
- USB & Wifi-tethering
Talking of not working features, FM Radio is not working. In following article a step by step procedure is given on how to install CM 10.1 on your ZTE Blade.
Disclaimer: Risk is involved in the article written ahead and it can also cause damage to your mobile. It is recommended that you should not follow it if you are newbie in this Android world. Read article completely and implement all the steps at your own risk. If any damage is happened to your mobile after inculcating these steps, we will not be responsible for that.
This procedure to install Cyanogenmod 10.1 is strictly applicable for ZTE Blade only. Dont try to flash it on any other mobile or variant otherwise permanent might cause to it.
- Dont forget to charge our mobile at least up to70% so that installation will proceed uninterruptedly.
- Since all the data on mobile gets wiped during the process, it is better to take a backup of important data like SMS, MMS, APN, contacts etc. to the external memory.
- Make sure that you have already installed custom recovery like Clockworkmod recovery or TWRP recovery on mobile. Without this recovery you cannot flash ROM on the mobile.
Procedure to flash Cyanogenmod 10.1 based on 4.2.1 Jelly Bean on ZTE Blade:
- First download zip package of Cyanogenmod 10.1 along with Gapps package for Jelly Bean. Gapps contain Google apps like Gmail, Maps, Play store etc. which are not present it custom ROM.
- Connect your mobile to computer through USB cable. Ensure that you have enabled USB debugging on. Copy both files to the external memory. Dont extract them.
- Disconnect mobile from PC and Turn it off by long pressing power button.
- For that press & hold Volume down + Power button simultaneously. Now you will land into recovery mode of your phone.
- Take a nandroid backup of current system. You might need it if something goes wrong. For that select backup & restore and then backup. This backup will be saved in external memory.(This step is not mandatory.)
- Now wipe data/factory reset and then wipe cache partition to wipe all the data and caches respectively on the phone.
- Next step is flashing of ROM. To do so select install zip from sdcard and then choose zip from sdcard. Chose Cyanogenmod 10.1 file for installation.
- This will take few minutes for installation.
- Repeat the step of install zip from sdcard and chose zip from sdcard. But this time chose Gapps Package.
- After successful flashing of both the files, select +++++Go back+++++ and then reboot system now. First start may take some more time than your usual restart.
Excellent!! You have successfully installed Cyanogenmod 10.1 on your ZTE Blade. Now you can enjoy all the latest features of Jelly Bean 4.2. Dont forget to share your views about the ROM through comments. Feel free to ask your doubts about the process. We will come up with solution as soon as possible.
Tip: If you dont like this ROM or you are not comfortable with this ROM, you can easily return back to the previous ROM just by entering into the recovery mode. Then select backup & restore option followed by restore & chose your latest backup to restore.