Verizon Galaxy S3 users can now rejoice Android 4.1 Jelly Bean with latest release of AOKP Custom ROM – Milestone 1. It brings you four additional customizable features along with Android 4.1.2. Just like Cyanogenmod’s nightly builds, AOKP has reached milestone state which indicates that soon they will be providing a stable build for all the supported phone /tablet models.
Irrespective of official update to roll out by Samsung / Verizon, you can update your Galaxy S3 to Jelly Bean via AOKP’s latest build. You can do so by following step by step method mentioned in the article below.
Disclaimer: Steps given in this article are considered as risky & can cause damage to your phone. You should not try to attempt these things if you aren’t aware of it. Please follow this guide completely at your own risk. If any damage happened to your device we won’t be held liable for it.
Please note that, this update is applicable only for Verizon Galaxy S3 having model number SCH-I535. DON’T try this on other variants of Galaxy S3 or on any other device, it can cause damage to your phone.
- Enable USB Debugging option in your phone.
- Charge your device up to 70% battery level so that installation procedure won’t be interrupted.
- It is highly recommended to backup all your data from phone memory which includes contacts, messages (SMS/MMS), call logs, Internet APNs etc.
(Important) Your device must have unlocked bootloader & custom recovery (like CWM or TWRP) installed in it.
Procedure to Install AOKP JB MIlestone 1 on Verizon Galaxy S3 SCH-I535 :
- Download AOKP Milestone 1 ROM from the link given below :
- AOKP Milestone 1 for Verizon Galaxy S3
- Download Google Apps (Gmail, Maps, GTalk, Play Store etc.) which need to be flashed manually since they are not present in the ROM by default.
- Google Apps for Jelly Bean
- After downloading ROM package & Google Apps, connect your phone to the PC. Enable mass storage mode to access SD card data & transfer both the files on it.
- Disconnect the phone from computer. Now boot into Clockworkmod recovery. To do so, switch off the phone completely. Press & hold Volume Up + Home Button + Power Key together until recovery mode appears (you can release power button after Samsung logo appears but keep holding other two until recovery mode shows up).
- After getting into CWM recovery, first & very essential step you need to do is take a nandroid backup of your current ROM so that it can be restored back (in case if anything goes wrong). To back up your current ROM, select Backupand Restore option from the recovery menu & on next screen, select backup. Now It will make a nandroid backup of whole system (excluding SD card). Wait for the backup process to get finished.
- Select wipe data/factory reset & wipe cache partition to wipe all the data & caches respectively from the phone memory.
- Now Select “install zip from sdcard” & then “choose zip from sdcard“. Select the ROM file from the location where you’ve transferred it earlier & press on Yes to flash the ROM.
- Wait for the ROM to get installed. After ROM gets successfully installed, your phone will land in the recovery mode.
- Again select “install zip from sdcard” followed by “choose zip from sdcard” & this time navigate Google apps package file (gapps-jb-20121011-signed.zip). Press on Yes to install Google Apps.
- After flashing both the files, Select reboot system now to Restart the phone.
That’s it ! Jelly Bean based custom ROM (AOKP Milestone 1) is now up & running on your Verizon Galaxy S3. If you have got any query, comment it below, we will try our best to sort out the same.
Tip: In case if you want to revert back to your previous ROM , enter into recovery mode (mentioned above). From the main menu, select Backupand Restore option & on next screen, select restore & choose the backup you would like to restore.