HTC is very famous for their excellent hardware and their amazing software of user interface called as HTC Sense. Last year HTC released their all new One series which came with built in Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich and latest version of HTC Sense also. It was outstanding and rocked the Android world. One X was higher end device from One series and it was also their flagship device at that time featuring quad core performance, beats audio and amazing camera.
No doubt that developers are very much interested in device having all these features. Active development is going on for this device and as an outcome of that here is a great news for all HTC One X users. Now they can enjoy treat of upgraded version of Jelly Bean that is Android 4.2. Cyanogenmod 10.1 is now available for this device.
Cyanogenmod is most famous custom ROM amongst all custom ROMs. Being very close to AOSP it gives you true Android experience. It is lightning fast and very smooth plus you get a lot of customizations. Further in this article, step by step procedure is given on how to install Cyanogenmod 10.1 on HTC One X.
Disclaimer:Risk is involved in the procedure discussed below. Please dont follow this guide unless you are aware of these things. We should not be held responsible for any damage caused to your phone.
Attention!Steps involved in this article are meant only for HTC One X (International variant). Trying this on any other device may result in undesirable outcomes.
- Your phone must be charged at least up to 70% battery level.
- USB debugging mode must be enabled.
- Dont forget to take a backup of important data like SMS, MMS, APN, contacts etc. to the external memory as it gets vanished during installation.
- You must have unlocked bootloader of your device.
- Custom Recovery like CWM (Clockwork Mod Recovery) or TWRP must be installed on the phone.
Procedure to Install Cyanogenmod 10.1 Jelly Bean custom ROM on HTC One X:
- Download latest Cyanogenmod build from the official ROM development page (link is given below):
- Cyanogenmod 10.1 for HTC OneX
- Connect your phone to computer using USB cable and copy zip file of ROM to your device’s SD Card.
- Download the fastboot files which we will need to flash the kernel image.
- Fastboot Files
- Extract above zip package of fastboot files. You will find four files inside your extracted folder.
- Open ROM package which you’ve just downloaded in your computer. Search for boot.img inside it (which is kernel file). Extract that kernel file using WinRAR & copy the same in fastboot folder so that you should have total five files inside it by now.
- On the phone (while switched off), enter into the fastboot mode. To do so,
- Press & holdVolume Down + Power Buttontogether.
- Your device will be booted in bootloader mode. Now navigate Fastboot mode using volume up/down buttons & select it using power button.
- After entering into the Fastboot mode, Connect your phone to the PC.
- Open the‘Fastboot‘ folder in which you have extracted fastboot files.
- Now Open command prompt & Point its directory to the fastboot folder (ORYou can do the same as: open Fastboot folder, Press & hold shift key and then right click on the free space in the same folder.When right clicked (holding shift), you’ll see‘Open Command window here‘ option. Click it & Command prompt will get opened pointing to the Fastboot directory).
- Put this command in command prompt :fastboot devices(After entering this command, you’ll see the random numbers are appeared in the command prompt window.This is to ensure that your device is properly connected. If it doesn’t appear then you need to install HTC Sync software to install essential drivers for One X).
- Type the following command in command prompt to flash the kernel file:
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- Disconnect the phone from PC & Restart it in bootloader by typing “fastboot reboot bootloader” (without quotes) in command prompt.
- You’ll be landed in bootloader mode. Now highlight recovery option using volume up/down keys & select it using power button.
- Don’t forget to take nanroid backup of ROM which you are currently using. In case if anything goes wrong you can go back to your previous ROM just by restoring this backup . To backup your current ROM, selectBackupand Restoreoption from the recovery mode & on next screen, selectbackup. Now It will make a nandroid backup of your whole system (excluding SD card). Wait for the backup process to get finished.
- After successfully backup, selectwipe data/factory reset&wipe cache partitionto wipe all the data & caches from the phone memory respectively.
- Select “install zip from sdcard” & then “choose zip from sdcard“. Navigate the ROM file (which you’ve transferred earlier) Select it & press on ‘Yes‘ to continue. ROM installation process will start.
- Wait for the ROM to get installed. After ROM gets successfully installed, your phone will land in the recovery mode.
- After flashing the ROM, Selectreboot system nowto Restart the phone andboot into Cyanogenmod 10.1 based on Android 4.2 Jelly Bean.
- First start may take a bit long but don’t worry
Tip:If you want to uninstall this ROM and return back to the stock one, you can easily do it just by booting into the recovery mode. Selectbackup & restoreoption followed byrestore& chose your latest backup to restore.
Congratulations!!! You have successfully installed Jelly Bean 4.2 in the form of Cyanogenmod 10.1 custom ROM on your HTC One X. Visit development page for latest updates. Do report us how it is working for you through comments.