Leading mobile companies come up with various marketing strategies. Companies like HTC, Sony, Samsung give all the latest updates to their flagships only. They do not pay attention towards their mid ranged phones. So even having decent specs these devices do not get official updates.
But being on Android operating system there is one huge advantage over other systems like Windows or Symbian, that it is an open source system. So there is a large community of developers who are ready to give you the updates unofficially. So based on pure stock android they have developed various ROMs like Cyanogenmod, AOKP etc. which give you the latest updates. And these custom ROMs are even better than stock ones in many aspects.
Previously we reported about CM 10.1 update to HTC One V CDMA(PrimoC). And now here is a good news for those having GSM varient of the same device. No doubt that it is smoother and faster, it brings you all the advanced Jelly Bean features like Google Now, Actionable notifications, all new widgets and toggles etc.
Article given below will guide you with detailed procedure about installing Cyanogenmod 10.1 ROM.
Disclaimer: The Procedure described in this article are risky & can cause damage to your device. You should not try to attempt this if you are not aware of these things. Please follow this guide completely at your own risk. If any damage happened to your device while following this tutorial, we should not be held responsible for it.
Please remember that, the guide mentioned here is only applicable forHTC One V(GSM Variant). Do nottry it on any other device or variant(Like HTC PrimoC) it may result in undesired results.
- Your phone must be charged at least up to 70% battery level to have uninterrupted installation process.
- USB debugging mode must be enabled.
- In this process you will have to wipe all the data (from phone memory), so dont forget to take backup of all the things including SMS/MMS, contacts, Apps, personal settings, APNs etc.
- You must have unlocked bootloader of your device. If you’ve not unlocked it yet, follow this procedure to do so.
- Custom Recovery like CWM (Clockwork Mod Recovery) or TWRP must be installed on the phone. Make sure you have one. Here is guide to install CWM recovery and here is guide to install TWRP recovery.
Procedure to Install Cyanogenmod 10.1 on HTC One V (GSM):
- Download zip file of ROM from the source page. Also download kernel image from the same.
- Since Google Apps are not pre-installed in the ROM, you have to separately download and flash them.
- Download Google Apps
- As separate downloading link for kernel image file is not given on development page, extract the same (boot.img) from root directory of ROM package.
- Now connect your phone to Computer and select mass storage mode to transfer downloaded files to SD card.
- Before installing the ROM, you have to flash kernel image through fastboot mode. To do the same, switch off your phone. Press and hold Power+Volume Down buttons to boot into bootloader mode first.
- Then highlight fastboot using volume up/down keys and press power button to get into it.
- Connect your phone to computer using USB cable.
- After connecting the phone to PC, phone drivers will get installed automatically. Now you are ready to flash kernel.
- If your phone is not detected, install HTC Sync Manager, as drivers are included along with the Sync manager. Or you can install drivers separately.
- Now download fastboot files from here and extract them in a folder.
- Rename kernel file name to boot.img (from ****.img).
- Copy the kernel image (boot.img file you have extracted from zip file of ROM) to folder in which you have kept your fastboot files.
- In the same folder, right click while holding shift button and select Open command window here.
- A command window will appear on your screen. In command window type fastboot flash boot boot.img and press enter.
- On your screen you will get message OKAY/Finished. You have successfully flashed kernel. Now you can disconnect your phone from computer.
- In fastboot mode select option recovery to boot into custom recovery. Unless you do have touch type recovery, touch wont work therefore use Volume up/ Volume down buttons to scroll and power button to select.
- To create Nandroid backup of your current ROM, select backup/restore and on next screen select backup.
- In recovery select wipe data/factory reset and then wipe cache partition to clear all your previous data from phone memory.
- Now select install zip from sdcard followed by choose zip from sdcard. Then navigate to ROM package and select it. Confirm installation by pressing on Yes.
- You have to repeat the same procedure of flashing zip file for Gapps file.
- Once ROM is installed select reboot system now to boot into Cyanogenmod 10.1
Upgrading from Earlier version of CM 10.1:
- Just copy ROM file and Gapps file to SD card and flash the through recovery. No need to do wipe data and wipe cache.
You have upgraded HTC One V GSM to Android 4.2.2 via Cyanogenmod 10.1. Do report us how it is working for you.If you have got any doubts, feel free to ask them, we’ll try to sort out them as soon as possible.