HTC One V comes with Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich on board. Amongst One series trio, HTC have announced official Jelly Bean update for big brothers of One V, though no good news for One V users but thanks to custom ROM developers for keeping the device up to date with latest Android versions. Recently, XDA Senior Member rukin5197 has come up with Jelly Bean based custom ROM AOKP.
AOKP (Android Open Kang Project) ROMS are known for their highly customizable features. This is a Jelly Bean ROM with all exciting features of Jelly Bean like Buttery smooth interface (called project butter), actionable notifications, Google Now, smarter keyboard etc.
As of now, ROM may have minor bugs as it is still in development stage. Of course theyll get resolved in upcoming updates.
Move on further to know how you can install AOKP Jelly Bean ROM on your HTC One V.
Disclaimer: Risk is involved in the procedure discussed below. Please dont follow this guide unless you are aware of these things. We should not be held responsible for any damage caused to your phone.
Attention! Steps involved in this article are meant only for HTC One V (GSM variant). Trying this on any other device may result in undesirable outcomes.
- Your phone must be charged at least up to 70% battery level.
- USB debugging mode must be enabled.
- You must have unlocked bootloader of your device. If youve not unlocked it yet, follow this procedure to do so.
- Custom Recovery like CWM (Clockwork Mod Recovery) or TWRP must be installed on the phone. You can follow this guide to install CWM Recovery.
Procedure to Install AOKP Jelly Bean custom ROM on HTC One V:
- In this process you will have to wipe all the data (from phone memory), so make sure you have taken backup of all the things including SMS/MMS, contacts, Apps, personal settings, APNs etc.
- Download zip file of ROM from the source page. Also download kernel image from the same.
- Since Google Apps are not pre-installed in the ROM, you have to separately download and flash them.
- Download Google Apps
- Now connect your phone to Computer and select mass storage mode to transfer downloaded files to SD card.
- Before installing the ROM, you have to flash kernel image through fastboot mode. To do the same, switch off your phone. Press and hold Power + Volume Down buttons to boot into bootloader mode first.
- Then highlight fastboot and press power button to get into it.
- Connect your phone to computer using USB cable.
- After connecting the phone to PC, phone drivers will get installed automatically. Now you are ready to flash kernel.
- If your phone is not detected, install HTC Sync Manager.
- Now download fastboot files from here and extract them in a folder.
- Copy the kernel image (.img file) to folder in which you have kept your fastboot files.
- In the same folder, right click while holding shift button and select Open command window here.
- A command window will appear on your screen. In command window type fastboot flash boot boot-TK-USB-CM10-OC-VDD-201209172313.img and press enter.
- On your screen you will get message OKAY/Finished. You have successfully flashed kernel. Now you can disconnect your phone from computer.
- In fastboot mode select option recovery to boot into custom recovery. Unless you do have touch type recovery, touch wont work therefore use Volume up/ Volume down buttons to scroll and power button to select.
- To create Nanroid backup of your current ROM, select backup/restore and on next screen select backup.
- In recovery select wipe data/factory reset and then wipe cache partition to clear all your previous data from phone memory.
- Now select install zip from sdcard followed by choose zip from sdcard. Then navigate to ROM package and select it. Confirm installation by pressing on yes.
- Once you have finished with ROM installation follow the same procedure for installing Google Apps.
- After Google Apps are installed select reboot system now to boot into AOKP Jelly Bean custom ROM.
Congratulations!! You have successfully installed Jelly Bean in the form of AOKP custom ROM on your HTC One V. Visit development page for latest updates. Do report us how it is working for you through comments.