HTC corporation, formerly known as High Tech Computer Corporation is a Taiwanese manufacturers of smartphones and tablets. And they are trendsetters in smartphone market. They are heritage of many ‘firsts’ including first touch screen phone, first 3G/4G phone. HTC devices have very unique feel and quality.
Currently they are doing great in competition of high end devices with their HTC One and HTC Butterfly in race. Both these devices are examples of excellence. Also their low end devices are also great. Their HTC Explorer is a very popular device.The HTC Explorer, code-named Pico, is a smartphone developed by the HTC Corporation announced in September 2011 and released a month later. It is a low end phone and comes with Android 2.3 Gingerbread on board.
But one of the specialty of this device is great support of developers. This device has got best support of developers in this class. Starting from Android 2.3 now the device has got unofficial port of Android 4.3. Worlds best custom ROM called Cyanogenmod brings you the latest Jelly Bean 4.3 update. So pico users can enjoy all the latest features of Jelly Bean 4.3.
But remember that the ROM is in development stage so it may have some bugs present. But as time goes they will be fixed. Stay tuned for updates. Here are some features that are fully working in this ROM.
- USB mass storage
Here in the following article, we have explained a step wise procedure of flashing this custom ROM Cyanogenmod 10.2 on your device. Follow it exactly to get a refreshing Jelly Bean experience.
Risk is involved in the article written ahead and it can also cause damage to your mobile. It is recommended that you should not follow it if you are newbie in this Android world. Read article completely and implement all the steps at your own risk. If any damage is happened to your mobile after inculcating these steps, we will not be responsible for that.
This procedure to install Cyanogenmod 10 is strictly applicable for HTC Explorer only bearing model number A310E. Dont try to flash it on any other mobile or variant otherwise permanent damage might be caused.
Please confirm your device’s model number before you proceed further. You can check it by following this path on your phone: Home Screen –> Menu –> Settings –> About device.
- Don’t forget to charge our mobile at least up to 70% so that installation will proceed uninterruptedly.
- Since all the data on mobile gets wiped during the process, it is better to take a backup of important data like SMS, MMS, APN, contacts etc. to the external memory. Following links will guide you with backing up your device completely.
- How to Backup Call logs, APNs and EFS folder from your Android Device.
- How to Backup Android Contacts and Text Messages (SMS / MMS).
- How to Backup whole ROM / Firomware via Clockworkmod (CWM) Recovery
- Enable USB Debugging option in your phone.
- (Necessary!!) Make sure that you have already installed custom recovery like Clockworkmod recovery or TWRP recovery on mobile. Without this recovery you cannot flash ROM on the mobile.
- Here is the procedure to install TWRP recovery on HTC Explorer.
- Download zip file of ROM from the source page. Also download kernel image from the same.
- Since Google Apps are not pre-installed in the ROM, you have to separately download and flash them.
- Download Google Apps for CM 10.2
- Connect your mobile to computer through USB cable. Ensure that you have enabled USB debugging on. Copy both files to the external memory. Don’t extract them.
- Disconnect mobile from PC and Turn it off by long pressing power button.
- Download the fastboot files which we will need to flash the kernel image.
- Fastboot Files
- Extract above zip package of fastboot files. You will find four files inside your extracted folder.
- Open Kernel package which you’ve just downloaded in your computer. Search for boot.img inside it (which is kernel file). Extract that kernel file using WinRAR & copy the same in fastboot folder so that you should have total five files inside it by now.
- On the phone (while switched off), enter into the fastboot mode. To do so,
- Press & hold Volume Down + Power Button together.
- Your device will be booted in bootloader mode. Now navigate Fastboot mode using volume up/down buttons & select it using power button.
- After entering into the Fastboot mode, Connect your phone to the PC.
- Open the ‘Fastboot‘ folder in which you have extracted fastboot files.
- Now Open command prompt & Point its directory to the fastboot folder (OR You can do the same as: open Fastboot folder, Press & hold shift key and then right click on the free space in the same folder.When right clicked (holding shift), you’ll see ‘Open Command window here‘ option. Click it & Command prompt will get opened pointing to the Fastboot directory).
- Put this command in command prompt: fastboot devices (After entering this command, you’ll see the random numbers are appeared in the command prompt window.This is to ensure that your device is properly connected. If it doesn’t appear then you need to install HTC Sync software to install essential drivers for Explorer).
- Type the following command in command prompt to flash the kernel file:
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- Restart it in bootloader mode by typing “fastboot reboot bootloader” (without quotes) in command prompt. Once phone restarts then you can disconnect the phone from PC.
- In bootloader mode, highlight recovery by using Volume Keys & Enter into the recovery by using Power Key. You’ll be landed into custom Recovery.
- (Recommended!) Take a nandroid backup of current system. You might need it if something goes wrong. For that select backup & restore and then backup. This backup will be saved in external memory.
- Now wipe data/factory reset and then wipe cache partition to wipe all the data and caches respectively from the phone.
- Next step is flashing of ROM. To do so select install zip from sdcard and then choose zip from sdcard. Choose Cyanogenmod 10 file for installation.
- This will take few minutes for installation.
- Repeat the step of install zip from sdcard and choose zip from sdcard. But this time chose GApps Package.
- After successful flashing of both the files, select +++++go back+++++ and then reboot system now. First start may take some more time than your usual restart.
- Just copy ROM file and Gapps file to SD card and flash them through recovery. No need to do wipe data and wipe cache partitions.
Tip: If you don’t like this ROM or you are not comfortable with this ROM, you can easily return back to the previous ROM just by entering into the recovery mode. Then select backup & restore option followed by restore & chosoe your latest backup to restore.
Hurray!! You have successfully installed Android 4.3 on your HTC Explorer via Cyanogenmod 10.1. Now enjoy the latest Android 4.3 features. If you have any doubts regarding the installation procedure ask them in comments below. We are here to help you on them. And stay tuned for further updates.