Finally the wait is over! Most awaited update of Android 4.1 Jelly Bean is now officially available for Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 smartphone in the form of XXLS8 firmware. Though the update is pushed lately, you shouldn’t get disappointed as Samsung has released Android 4.1.2 instead of Android 4.1.1 version. You should feel proud being a Galaxy S2 user.
Currently, XXLS8 firmware update is released for Spain region but users from Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Hungary, Italy, United Kingdom can also apply the same on their phones. You can upgrade your device’s firmware using OTA & Kies.
This is all about S2 users residing in above mentioned regions. But what if you don’t belong to these countries? Well, no need to worry about that. We’ve good news for you too. We’ve come up with a guide using which you can upgrade your S2 to Android 4.1.2 XXLS8 firmware irrespective of the country you reside in. In this article, We’ll using Odin that is usually used to flash Official firmwares.
Here are some features of Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean update:
- Buttery Smooth Performance & Great Stability (Thanks to Project Butter)
- Full User Interface Revamp (Same UI as of the Galaxy S III and Galaxy Note II)
- TouchWiz Nature UX
- Samsungs S Cloud services
- Improved Camera features
- New Lockscreen With Many Customization Options
- New Features like Direct Call, Smart Stay and Pop-up Play
- New Widgets (From Galaxy S III)
- 2 Home screen modes
- New Notification bar With More Notification Toggles
- Google Now
Disclaimer: Steps mentioned in this article are considered as risky and can cause damage to your phone. It is highly recommended that you should not implant it unless you are aware of these things. Follow the guide completely at your own risk. We won’t be held responsible for any damage happened to your device after implementing these steps.
Please note that, this guide is purposefully made for Samsung Galaxy S2 having GT-I9100 as a model number. Trying this on US variants of Galaxy S2 or on any other device may result in bricked phone (It can be soft brick or hard brick).
- Charge your device up to 70% battery level.
- It is highly recommended to backup all your data from internal memory (includes contacts, messages (SMS/MMS), call logs, Internet APNs etc.). Your phone data will get lost after installation of this firmware (excluding External storage).
Procedure to Update Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 with Android 4.1.2 XXLS8 Jelly Bean Firmware:
- Download XXLS8 Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean firmware package from here.
- Download Odin Multi Downloader 3.07 (Required for flashing the firmware) from the link given below.
- Odin 3.07
- Extract firmware package (.zip file) to any convenient location on your computer.
- Switch off the phone completely. Enter into download mode. For doing the same, press & hold Volume down + Home button (Middle one). While holding both buttons, simply press Power key till you see the construction Android robot & a yellow triangle.
- Open Odin Multi Downloader tool on your Computer which you’ve just downloaded & connect the phone using USB cable.
- If your phone is connected successfully, youll see that the ID:COM section (located at top left) is turned yellow with a random COM port number appeared below it. (If your ID:COM box doesnt turn out to be yellow, don’t worry. You will need to install proper drivers for your device. For installation of drivers, use the CD you got at the time of purchase & install Kies software from it. You can download kies from here).
- In Odin, select PDA tab & choose “I9100XWLS8_I9100XXLS8_I9100FOPLS3_HOME.tar.md5″ file. Keep all the remaining options as they are & make sure that Re-Partition box is not checked.
- Press Start button to initiate the flashing process of Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean firmware on your Galaxy S2. When flashing process finishes successfully, youll get Pass message with the Green background & device will restart automatically.
- Unplug the device from Computer.
- Now you will need to factory reset the phone in order to avoid boot loops & malfunctioning of the phone.
- To factory reset, youll have to boot in the recovery mode. The same can be achieved by following some simple steps.
- Switch off the phone (you can do this by removing battery or pressing power button).
- Press & hold Volume up + Home button together & then press Power key. You can release Power button as soon as Samsung logo appears.
- Your device is now booted into recovery mode.
- Since touch wont work in recovery, use Volume up/down & power key only for navigation & selection respectively.
- Now highlight Wipe data/factory reset by using Volume buttons & select it using power key. The same you have to do with Wipe Cache.
- After getting done with all these things, select reboot system now option to restart the phone.
- You may see that the phone is booting slowly than usual but dont worry it’s normal & this is for the first time only.
That’s it! Finally you’ve successfully flashed Android 4.1.2 XXLS8 Jelly Bean Firmware on your Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100. Do let us know how freshly installed Jelly Bean is doing for you. If you have any problems regarding the procedure, tell us in comments, we’ll do our best to solve it. Enjoy..!