Sony is very well known for their support and they are very good at providing official updates to their phones. Almost all of their 2012 Xperia models have got official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean update. But the only 2012 Sony Xperia handsets that have been promised a future upgrade by Sony are the Sony Xperia T, TX and V. This update based on Android 4.3 Jelly Bean is expected to come soon. Though Sony appears to be working on it, there is no confirm news that whether these phones will get official update based on Android 4.4 KitKat or not.
So for other devices where it seems that there will be no further official updates coming for them, they always have option of custom ROMs. And now for such a 2012 Xperia, Xperia P, Android 4.4 KitKat based ROM is available. Now Xperia P users can enjoy the treat of KitKat, thanks to senior XDA member percy_g2.
And along with the latest features of Android 4.4, Cyanogenmod comes with few more additional ones. And you are just few steps away from getting those on your phone. Just remember that being a custom ROM, it may have some issues. Here is the list of bugs that are reported by users.
What’s not Working :-
- Rear Camera Video Recording Related to OpenMax
- OpenMax codecs
But don’t worry, they will get fixed as latest builds are released.
Follow the steps given below to install Cyanogenmod 11 based on Android 4.4 KitKat on your Xperia P ST22i.
The process of flashing Cyanogenmod written below is not for those, who are doing it for the first time and who are unfamiliar with such things. So don’t go for it unless you are determined. If anything goes wrong it will be all your fault and neither we nor the developer should held responsible. Follow each and every step very carefully so that process goes smooth and no problem is there.
This process of flashing custom ROM is only applicable for Sony Xperia P ST22i. And implementing it on any other phone or even some variant of same phone will definitely result in undesired outcomes. So once again confirm the model number of your device.
- As the ROM flashing process takes a while, your phone’s battery must last while it gets over. So for precaution, you should charge your phone at least up to 70% so that flashing process is smooth.
- Disable any security related software installed on your PC.
- Make sure that you have unlocked the boot loader of your phone. It is impossible to flash the ROM if you haven’t yet unlocked the bootloader. Here is the link to unlock the bootloader of your phone
- Without any custom recovery like CWM or TWRP you cannot flash custom ROM. Make sure that you have a custom recovery installed before going further.
- While installing the custom ROM, you have to wipe all your data which include Contacts, Messages, APNs etc. So it is recommended that before starting the procedure, you make a safe backup of all your data. Following articles will guide you on that.
- To backup your Contacts & Messages, follow this article:
- How to Backup Android Contacts and Text Messages (SMS/MMS).
- To backup your Call logs, APNs & EFS folder, read this article:
- How to backup Call logs, APNs and EFS folder from your Android Device.
- For backing up your current ROM or firmware, follow this article:
- How to Backup whole ROM/Firmware via Clockworkmod (CWM) recovery.
Flashing ROM is not that simple process. To simplify it for you, we have split it into three steps. Also we have provided images to illustrate the procedure step wise.
- Download package file of custom ROM from the official development page. Downloading link is given below.
- Official development page
- Also you will require Google Apps file. Download latest Gapps for Android 4.4 KitKat from the link given below.
- Gaaps for Cyanogenmod 11
- You will also require to flash kernel file separately and for that you will require Fastboot files. Download them from the link given below.
- Fastboot files
Procedure to flash the kernel file on your phone:
- Extract the downloaded fastboot zip file in a suitable folder. You will see four files as shown in the image below.
- Using some extraction tool like WinRAR or 7 zip extract the kernel file from downloaded zip file. And put that extracted file in the fastboot folder along with them as show in the image below.
- Now put your device in fastboot mode. To do so, press and hold Volume up button and while doing so, connect your phone to PC using USB cable.
- Now open the folder in which fastboot files and kernel file is there. While holding shift button on your keyboard click right click button on your mouse. You will get a list of options, from them select Open command window here. Illustrative image is shown below.
- Now as shown in image below, a command window will appear on screen. In next steps, you have to put all your commands in this window only.
- Firstly, to ensure that your device is connected to computer properly. To do so in the command window which you have opened in previous step, put the command “fastboot devices” and press enter button on your keyboard.Then you will see random numbers appearing on screen as shown in picture below.
- After your device is connected properly, type the command “fastboot flash boot boot.img” in the command window to initiate the flashing procedure.
- After flashing is done, you have to reboot your phone. To do so enter the command “fastboot reboot” and press enter key then your device will restart.
Procedure to flash Cyanogenmod 11 and Gapps file:
- Now to begin with flashing procedure first connect your device in mass transfer mode and transfer downloaded ROM files and Gapps file to external SD card.
- Now disconnect your PC from computer. And you have to boot the phone in recovery. To do so, switch off your phone first and again restart it. While phone is restarting, press and tap Volume up button. Now you will boot into custom Recovery.
- We move forward, assuming that you have taken backup of your current ROM. If not, then you can take the backup anytime which we have suggested in prerequisites.
- Now to flash the custom ROM zip file, select ‘install zip from SD card’ & then ‘choose zip from SD card’ from the recovery mode. It will show all your folders and files on SD card. Now navigate to ROM file which you’ve copied earlier & simply select it.
- Confirm the installation by pressing ‘Yes’. This is how the installation process will begin. Flashing process will take a while so be patient.
- Now as soon as the ROM gets flashed, select ‘wipe data/factory reset’ followed by ‘wipe cache partition.’ This will wipe all the data & caches from the phone memory respectively.
- Same method is there for flashing Gapps file. But remember not to do the last step of wiping data after installation of Google Apps.
- Now we are at final step. Now select option ‘reboot system now’ in recovery to reboot your phone. Booting process will require more time than usual so be patient.
Hurreyy!!! You have successfully installed Cyanogenmod 11 on your Xperia P. Now your phone is running brand new Android 4.4 KitKat so enjoy all the latest features of it. And if you have any doubt on any of the steps which is given above, please ask it in the comments section below. We will try our best to solve it for you.