Recently we found out the leaked official XXDLH4 jelly bean (Android 4.1) firmware for International variant of Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 which is a clear indication that Samsung is going to roll out JB updates for the same somewhere at the end of this month. But what about other variants ? Will they all get Jelly Bean update along with international variant ? Well, having look at the past, we can conclude that other variants will not be getting JB soon. Now here comes the role of custom ROM which is like a blessing for Android Smartphones.
Since Cyanogenmod 10 is already out for Verizon Galaxy S3, yet another custom ROM is here to double your happiness & it is none other than AOKP ROM. Thanks XDA Recognized Themerkwes1020 who has been working hard to bring out it for Verizon Galaxy S3 owners.
AOKP, which is again Jelly Bean based custom ROM is famous for its customizable capabilities & advanced features i.e, you can experience pure Jelly Bean plus extra customizations, on your Verizon Galaxy S3. For the time being, ROM is under development, therefore full customization options may not be available which you might be observing in stable AOKP builds & also it may contain several bugs which can make your phone unstable for the daily use. But still if you’re comfortable with it, then go ahead & checkout how you can install the AOKP custom ROM update in your phone.
(Keep in mind, this is not an official firmware update which Samsung provides but it is a custom ROM based on latest Android 4.1 Jelly Bean).
Disclaimer : The steps given in this article are considered to be risky & can cause damage to your device. You should not try to attempt these things if you are completely unaware of it. Please follow this guide completely at your own risk. If any damage happened to your device while following this tutorial, neither we nor developer should be held responsible for it.
Please note that, this guide is intended only for Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 bearing model number SCH-i535. DON’T try this on other variants of Galaxy S3 (including international Galaxy S3 i9300) or on any other device, it may cause damage to your phone.
Pre-Requisites before installing Jelly Bean based Custom ROM update :
- Charge your device upto 60% battery level so that installation procedure won’t be interrupted.
- You will have to wipe all the data (excluding SD card) before installing this custom ROM update. Therefore it is highly recommended to Backup all your data from phone memory which includes contacts, messages (SMS/MMS), call logs, Internet APNs etc.
- (Important) In order to install AOKP custom ROM, it is mandatory to have unlocked bootloader and custom recovery (Clockworkmod) installed on your Verizon Galaxy S3.
Procedure to Update Verizon Galaxy S3 with AOKP Custom ROM :
- Download latest version AOKP ROM from the official development page (link is mentioned below) :
- AOKP custom ROM for Verizon Galaxy S3
- Download Google Apps (Gmail, Maps, GTalk, Play Store etc.) which need to be flashed manually since they are not present in the ROM by default.
- Google Apps for Jelly Bean
- After downloading ROM package & Google Apps, connect your phone to the PC. Enable mass storage mode to access SD card data & transfer both the files on it.
- Disconnect the phone from computer. Now boot into Clockworkmod recovery. To do so, switch off the phone completely. Press & hold Volume Up + Home Button + Power Key together until recovery mode appears (you can release power button after Samsung logo appears but keep holding other two until recovery mode shows up).
- After getting into CWM recovery, first & very essential step you need to do is take a nandroid backup of your current ROM so that it can be restored back (in case if anything goes wrong). To backup your current ROM, select Backupand Restore option from the recovery menu & on next screen, select backup. Now It will make a nandroid backup of your whole system (excluding SD card). Wait for the backup process to get finished.
- Select wipe data/factory reset & wipe cache partition to wipe all the data & caches from the phone memory respectively.
- Now Select “install zip from sdcard” & then “choose zip from sdcard“. Select the ROM file from the location where you’ve transferred it earlier & press on Yes to flash the ROM.
- Wait for the ROM to get installed. After ROM gets successfully installed, your phone will land in the recovery mode again.
- Again select “install zip from sdcard” followed by “choose zip from sdcard” & this time navigate Google apps package file (gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip). Press on Yes to install Google Apps.
- After flashing both the files, Select reboot system now to Restart the phone.
Congratulations ! Latest Android 4.1 Jelly Bean is now live on your Verizon Galaxy S3 SCH-i535 via AOKP custom ROM. For more information & latest updates, keep checking official development page. If you have any query regarding the procedure, comment it below, we will try our best to sort out the same as early as possible.
Tip: In case if you want to revert back to your previous ROM , enter into recovery mode (mentioned above). From the main menu, select Backupand Restore option & on next screen, select restore & choose the backup you would like to restore.