Nexus devices are always first to get taste of latest Android build. Galaxy Nexus is one of the member of Nexus family which is already updated Android 4.2. Being a Nexus device, Verizon variant of Galaxy Nexus also has got the update. But still custom ROMs based on latest Android versions is something more interesting than that of stock firmware. Because they provide you the better Android experience with their in-built functions & features. Cyanogenmod 10.1 is one of the best custom ROM that provides you the variety of customizations & settings. Besides that it is based on the recent Android version i.e Android 4.2 (build JOP40D).
Tutorial given below will guide you through the steps required for installing Cyanogenmod 10.1 (Android 4.2) in your Verizon Galaxy Nexus SCH-i515.
Disclaimer: The procedure given in this tutorial is considered as risky and may cause damage to your phone. It is recommended that you should not follow it unless you are familiar with these things. Follow this guide completely at your own risk. Neither we nor Cyanogenmod team will be held responsible for any damage caused to your device while attempting these steps.
The guide is compatible only and only with Verizon Galaxy Nexus (US Variant) SCH-i515. Dont try it on GSM Galaxy Nexus or on any other device else it may result in permanent damage to your device.
- Charge your device up to 75% battery level so that ROM installation won’t be interrupted.
- Enable / Tick ‘USB Debugging’ option in your phone.
- It is highly recommended to backup all your data from internal memory (includes contacts, messages (SMS/MMS), call logs, Internet APNs etc.). Data from internal memory will get lost after installation of this ROM (excluding External storage).
(Important) You must haveunlocked bootloader & Custom Recovery like Clockworkmod / TWRP installed in your phone for flashing Cyanogenmod 10.1 Custom ROM. To unlock bootloader, you can use this guide & for installing Custom Recovery, follow the guide given here.
Procedure to Update Verizon Galaxy Nexus SCH-i515 with Cyanogenmod 10.1 (Android 4.2.1):
- Download Google Apps (Gmail, Maps, GTalk, Play Store etc.) from the link given below.
- Google Apps for Jelly Bean
- After downloading ROM package & Google Apps, connect your phone to the PC. Enable mass storage mode to access internal memory data & transfer both the files on the root directory of it.
- Disconnect the phone from computer. Now boot into Clockworkmod recovery. To do so, switch off the phone completely (until it vibrates). Press & hold Volume Up + Volume down Button + Power Key together until recovery mode appears (you can release power button after Samsung logo appears but keep holding other two until recovery mode shows up).
- After getting into the recovery, make a nandroid backup of your current ROM so that it can be restored back in case of failure. To do so, Highlight backup and restore option in the recovery menu, select it & then choose backup to start the backup process.
- Select wipe data/factory reset & then wipe cache partition to wipe the data & caches respectively from the internal memory. (Caution! Before performing this step ensure that youve taken backup of all these things before as it will erase all the data from internal memory, which includes sms/mms, contacts, reminders, APNs, call logs, apps etc.).
- Now select install zip from sdcard & then on next screen select, choose zip from sdcard. It will show you all the files & folders located on internal memory of your device. Navigate to the ROM file, select it using power button (if youre not using touch CWM) & confirm the installation by pressing on Yes. This should start installing the ROM.
- Again select install zip from sdcard followed by choose zip from sdcard & this time browse for Google apps package file (gapps-jb-20121212-signed.zip). Press on Yes to install confirm Google Apps installation.
- After you finish flashing all the files, Select “reboot system now” to Restart the phone.
Tip: If you don’t like this ROM and want to restore back your previous ROM then you do this by using CMW’s restore feature. To restore the previous ROM, boot into the recovery mode, selectBackup and Restoreoption & on next screen, selectrestore.Now choose the backup you like to restore (or the restore the backup you’ve made before flashing this ROM).
That’s it!! You’ve successfully updated your Verizon Galaxy Nexus to Android 4.2.1 with Cyanogenmod 10.1 Custom ROM. Let us know if you’ve any problems, we’ll try our best to sort out them. And lastly don’t forget to check get.cm page (Official Download Page) for latest updates & bug fixes. Enjoy..