The development team of Cyanogenmod ROM recently introduced Android 4.4.2 KitKat based CM11 ROM for Verizon Galaxy Nexus SCH-I515. Verizon Galaxy Nexus SCH-I515 comes with a good hardware spec and features, hence is capable to run CM11 smoothly. This Cyanogenmod is a nightly build ROM. The good thing about nightly build is, you will receive update weekly with fixed bugs and issues. Along with that even new features introduced regularly. Interested users may continue reading this guide to know how to install Android 4.4.2 KitKat based CM11 ROM on Verizon Galaxy Nexus SCH-I515.
Cyanogenmod comes with various unique customizations. Some of the cool Android 4.4.2 KitKat features that you will enjoy with this ROM are Screen recording, tap to pay, Phone dialer with local business detection, cloud printing from Gallery Google Home Launcher, system processes trimmed, full screen immersive mode, seamless change in resolution during media playback, apps made more efficient, redesigned quick office and much more. You must note that all KitKat feature have not yet ported to this CM11 ROM.
As this is nightly build, so a few bugs or issues are expected in it. But don’t worry all of them will get fixed as the development goes.
Disclaimer: We at AndroidLegend.com don’t hold any responsibility in case if you brick your phone by performing the steps mentioned below. So perform everything at your own risk and without any mistake.
This article is compatible only and only with Verizon Galaxy Nexus model number SCH-I515. Flashing this on GSM Galaxy Nexus or any other device can damage your phone permanently. If you are unsure of your device’s model number then check it from here: Menu –> Settings –> About device.
- Ensure that your mobiles battery is charged at least up to 60% so as to minimize the risk of interruption during the installation process. For improving your battery life, you may follow our guide:
- How to Improve Battery Life of an Android Device (Tips).
- Backup all your important data such as Contacts, SMS / MMS, Apps, APNs, Call Logs etc. This is recommended as everything gets wiped in the last step of this procedure. Refer some of our articles for the same.
- How to Backup Android Contacts and Text Messages (SMS/MMS).
- How to backup Call logs, APNs and EFS folder from your Android Device.
- How to backup Notes and Memos for an Android device.
- You must have unlocked bootloader & installed custom recovery like CWM/TWRP before proceeding further. Refer this article for unlocking bootloader & this article for installing Custom recovery.
- Download CM11 Android 4.4.2 KitKat from the link given below:
- Click here to download
- Download latest Google Apps (Android 4.4.2) for Verizon Galaxy Nexus from the link given below:
- Click here to download
- After downloading both the above files, connect your device to the Computer. Enable mass storage mode & internal / external storage. Transfer both these files on root directory of your phone.
- Disconnect the phone from PC and switch it off. Boot your device into recovery mode now. For doing so, press & hold Volume Up + Volume down + Power button simultaneously until the recovery mode appears.
- The first thing after entering into recovery mode is to take a complete nandroid backup of your current ROM so that the same can be restored back in case of installation failure. For that select the backup and restore option from the main menu of recovery mode & then on the next screen choose backup option to start the backup process. You may refer our article for taking a proper nandroid backup:
- How to Backup whole ROM/Firmware via Clockworkmod (CWM) recovery.
- Now you need to clear the data & caches respectively from the phone memory. For doing so, highlight wipe data/factory reset option & on the next screen wipe cache partition option. Note that this step will erase all the data from your device; therefore ensure that you’ve taken backup of all these things before. Please refer pre-requisites section of this article for doing the same.
- Now highlight install zip from sdcard option & then on next screen highlight choose zip from sdcard option. Doing so, you will see all the files & folders located on internal / external storage of your device (depending upon the option you’ve chosen earlier). Navigate to the CM 11 ROM file that you’ve copied earlier, select it & confirm the installation process by pressing on ‘Yes’. This will start the installation process immediately.
- The process will hardly take few minutes to complete. After successful installation, again select wipe data/factory reset & wipe cache partition option to clear phone memory. Note that this step is much essential in order to avoid boot loops.
- Now again select install zip from sdcard followed by choose zip from sdcard option & flash the Google apps package file. Press on ‘Yes’ to confirm the installation. Remember not to wipe data after flashing these GApps.
- Just restart your phone now by selecting ‘reboot system now’ to restart your phone.
That’s it! The KitKat flavored Android 4.4.2 ROM has been successfully flashed on your Verizon Galaxy Nexus SCH-I515. You may verify it from Home->Settings-> About device. This ROM will give you the complete KitKat touch to your device. If you’ve any queries or problem regarding this guide, do ask us through the comments section given below. We’ll help you.
Tip: If you are not pleased with this ROM and hence want to restore back your previous ROM then it can be done by using backup & restore feature from the CWM recovery. For doing so, boot into the recovery mode, highlight ‘Backup and Restore’ option & on next screen, select restore option. This will show you the all the ROM backups you’ve made until now. Select the one you want to restore.