As Google is releasing updates to Android, custom ROMs like Cyanogenmod & AOKP are becoming famous day by day. It may be because of tweaks they offer. But I think people are becoming fan of these custom ROMs because they provide the latest & updated Android version.
In last month Google pushed out Android 4.2.2 update but since original manufacturer of phone are not that fast to provide you the official firmware with this version, Custom ROMs come into the picture. In case of manufacture like Samsung, it takes some time for them to modify AOSP, by adding their own specific features. Moreover Samsung hand overs the modified version to carriers (like T-Mobile) & they further customize it. This whole process takes about a month or two.
Whereas in case of Custom ROMs, you shouldn’t have to wait. As they are built & compiled from original Android source code (also called AOSP), it takes very less time for the developers to come up with a custom ROM based on latest Android version for a specific device.
AOKP (Android Open Kang Project) is the team of developers that has brought Android 4.2.2 for several devices (AOKP Build 4). The list also includes T-Mobile Galaxy S2 T989. You can view the features of AOKP on their Official Website.
Lets move further to know how you can update your T-Mobile Galaxy S2 SGH-T989 to Android 4.2.2 via AOKP Build 4 Custom ROM.
Disclaimer : The steps given in this article are considered to be risky & can cause damage to your device. You should not try to attempt these things if you are unaware of it. Please follow this guide completely at your own risk. If any damage happened to your device while following this guide, neither we nor AOKP team should be held responsible for the same.
The guide is only compatible with T-Mobile Galaxy S2 which bears model number SGH-T989. Dont try to implement it on any other device else it can turn in hardware failure of your device.
- Charge your device up to 75% battery level so that you can install the ROM without any interruption.
- Enable / Tick ‘USB Debugging’ option in your phone.
- It is highly recommended to backup all your data from internal memory (includes contacts, messages (SMS/MMS), call logs, Internet APNs etc.). Your phone data will get lost after installation of this ROM (excluding External storage).
- It is necessary to have Custom Recovery like Clockworkmod / TWRP installed in your phone for flashing AOKP Custom ROM.
Procedure to Upgrade T-Mobile Galaxy S2 T989 to AOKP JB-MR1 Build 4 [Android 4.2.2]:
- Download AOKP JB MR1 Build 4 ROM package from the Here.
- Download Google Apps (Gmail, Maps, GTalk, Play Store etc.) from the link given below.
- Google Apps for Jelly Bean
- After downloading ROM package & Google Apps, connect your phone to the PC. Enable mass storage mode to access internal memory & transfer both the files on the root directory of it.
- Disconnect the phone from computer. Now boot into Clockworkmod recovery. For doing that, switch off the phone completely & wait till it vibrates. Now press & hold Volume Up + Volume Down + Power Key together until recovery mode shows up.
- After getting into the recovery, make a nandroid backup of your current ROM so that the same can be restored back in case of installation failure. To do so, Highlight backup and restore option from the main menu of recovery menu, select it & then choose backup to start the backup process.
- Select wipe data/factory reset & subsequently wipe cache partition to wipe the data & caches respectively from the internal memory. (Caution! performing this step will erase all the data from internal memory, which includes SMS / MMS, contacts, reminders, APNs, call logs, apps etc. therefore ensure that youve taken backup of all these things before).
- Now select install zip from sdcard & then on next screen select, choose zip from sdcard. It will show you all the files & folders located on internal memory of your device. Navigate to the ROM file (which you’ve copied earlier from Computer), select it using power button (unless youre using touch CWM) & confirm the installation by pressing on Yes. This should start installing the ROM.
- Again select install zip from sdcard followed by choose zip from sdcard & this time browse for Google apps package file (gapps-jb-20121212-signed.zip). Press on Yes to install confirm Google Apps installation.
- After you finish flashing both files, Select “reboot system now” to Restart the phone.
Tip: Whenever you feel uncomfortable with this ROM, you always have one option to restore your previous ROM. This can be done by using CMW’s restore feature. To restore the previous ROM, boot into the recovery mode, selectBackup and Restoreoption & on next screen, selectrestore.Now choose the backup you like to restore (or the restore the backup you’ve made before flashing this ROM).
Congratulations! You’ve successfully upgraded your T-Mobile Galaxy S2 to Android 4.2.2 via AOKP (JB-MR1 Build 4) Custom ROM. If you’ve any queries or need help, leave a comment below & we’ll help you to solve your issue. Enjoy..