Japanese company Sony is very famous for their excellence in various products. In music their Walkman media players were popular. Later on they brought that media experience in mobile phones also. Their digital cameras are very famous in market which use Exmor sensors. They are also best-selling brand in TV market with their Bravia engine technology.
And they have combined all these technology in one smartphone and presented all new Sony Xperia Z so you can experience best of Sony in one smartphone. Xperia Z has “Omni-Balance” design, according to Sony, which is focused on creating balance and symmetry in all directions.
No doubt that such a great phone doesn’t get attention from developers. Though official updates take a while, latest custom ROMs are always available for this phone. Now latest version of Cyanogenmod i.e. CM 11 which is based on Android 4.4 is available for Xperia Z, thanks to FreeXperia Project.
So now you don’t have to wait for official firmware to get all new KitKat experience. All you have to do is just follow the simple instructions below to install latest CM 11. But keep in mind one thing that being a nightly update, the ROM may have some bugs in it. But nothing to worry, they will get fixed as updates come.
While writing the procedure given below, we have considered that you have sufficient knowledge about Android development and flashing ROMs. So don’t follow the steps if you come across any unknown thing. While following the procedure it will be your responsibility if anything goes wrong. Neither we nor the developer will be responsible for any damage that has occurred by following this process.
This update of CM 11 is compatible only and only with Sony Xperia Z model number C6602/C6603. So don’t try to flash it on other device or any other variant of the same device as it may cause undesired results. For confirmation, you can check your device’s model number in
Settings ––> About Phone.
- Due to discharged battery if your phone gets off while procedure, it may result in undesired outcomes. First thing you should do before starting the procedure is charge the battery at least up to 75%.
- Battery is very important component in a phone. So for it’s improved life we recommend that follow the tips given in our article (Link is given below).
- How to Improve Battery Life of an Android Device (Tips).
- Also we highly recommend that you should take a backup of all your personal data, as all the data like Contacts, Messages, APNs etc. gets wiped while flashing procedure. Just follow the articles given below to make a complete backup of your important data.
- How to Backup Android Contacts and Text Messages (SMS/MMS).
- How to back up Call logs, APNs and EFS folder from your Android Device.
- (Compulsory!!) Before beginning the ROM flashing procedure, first you must have unlocked the bootloader of your phone. If you haven’t done it yet, follow this guide.
- (Compulsory!!) You can’t even think of flashing ROMs without having custom Recovery like CWM or TWRP. So first you must install custom Recovery on your phone. To do so, just follow this guide.
- Don’t forget to enable USB debugging on your phone.
- Download the installation file of Cyanogenemod 11 from the official development page. The download link given link below:
- Cyanogenmod 11 for Xperia Z
- Since the Gapps are not pre-installed, you have to separately download and install them. Download link is given below.
- Gapps for Cyanogenmod 11
- Also you will need fastboot files to flash the kernel. Download them from link given below.
- Fastboot Files
Procedure to flash kernel is as explained below:
- First extract the fastboot files and keep them in a folder at a suitable location as shown in image below.
- Now extract the file named boot.img from Cyanogenmod 11 package file. This is the kernel file which you are going to flash. Move this kernel file in the fastboot folder as shown in image below.
- Now to flash the kernel, you need to boot your phone in fastboot mode. To do so, press & hold volume up button while connecting your phone to PC. After doing that your phone will be booted in fastboot mode.
- Now open the folder containing Fastboot files and kernel file. Press and hold Shift button of your keyboard and press right-click button in empty space. From the list, choose Open command window here option.
- Now a command window will pop up in which you can enter commands given in further steps.
- First, type the command “fastboot devices” command prompt to make sure if device is connected properly. After pressing enter button, random numbers will appear in the command window as shown below image.
- Once you make sure that your device is connected to computer properly, type the following command to begin the kernel flashing procedure.
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- After flashing is done, you have to reboot your phone. To do so enter the following command.
- After that, your phone will reboot.
Procedure to flash ROM and Gapps file:
- Now connect your device to the PC, enable mass storage mode and transfer ROM and Gapps file to your device external storage
- After that, disconnect the phone from PC and now enter into the recovery mode. To do so, switch off your phone first and again restart it. While phone is restarting (during boot logo & LED turns blue), press and tap Volume up button. Now you will boot into custom Recovery.
- If anything goes wrong during the procedure, it is better to have a nanroid backup which you can restore afterwards . Follow the guide given below to make one.
- How to Backup whole ROM/Firmware via Clockworkmod (CWM) recovery.
- After you take the backup, select ‘install zip from SD card’ & then ‘choose zip from SD card’ from the recovery mode . It will show all your folders and files on SD card. Now navigate to ROM file which you’ve copied earlier & simply select it.
- Confirm the installation by pressing ‘Yes’. This is how the installation process will begin.
- The process will complete in just a few minutes. Now as soon as the ROM gets flashed, select ‘wipe data/factory reset’ followed by ‘wipe cache partition.’ This will wipe all the data & caches from the phone memory respectively.
- Follow the same procedure for flashing Gapps file. But remember not to do the last step of wiping data after installation of Google Apps.
- Then go back and select the ‘reboot system now’ to reboot your phone. First start may take a while so don’t panic.
Note: If you want to restore back your previous Rom you can do that by simply going back to the Recovery mode and select ‘Backup and Restore’ option and then on next screen select ‘Restore’.
Great Job, you have successfully installed Android 4.4 KitKat based Cyanogenmod 11 on your Xperia Z. Now enjoy all the latest features of Android 4.4 KitKat. And if you come across any difficulty about the ROM flashing procedure, ask it below in comments. We will try our best to give you the solution.