Sony Xperia Z has become one of the most powerful and impressive Android handset out there. The water proof feature that it has has attracted many of the youngsters.
Many Xperia Z users were unhappy on the fact that an official Android 4.3 update was revealed for Nexus but there was still a doubt going on regarding the release of latest update for Xperia Z. I think the developers have point out this and so they have started working on its update.
So the chances of getting the official update have become clearer and the users just need to be a little patient for its release. But till then you can experience the Android 4.3 via Custom ROMs. In this way the Custom ROMs have always proved worthy for trying out the latest update unofficially on your device before the release of official update.
Same like the article that we posted a few days back on updating Xperia Z to CM 10.2 Custom ROM, in this article we’ve got another custom ROM based on the latest Android 4.3 version.
This ROM is developed by the Avatar team members and is based on the Nightly version of CM 10.2. So the features ported from the Cyanogenmod system will be ported to your device.
Avatar ROM is quite stable, bugs free and smooth in use. You must clear one thing in your mind that this is not an official update by Sony. Avatar is a free after market distribution of Android 4.3. The recent Change-logs for this ROM are given below:
- Status Bar: Fixed memory leaks
- Theme chooser: Google Play store like theme chooser were you can download cool MIUI converted and CM themes.
- Bazooka Launcher: This launcher is enhanced version of Trebuchet. Dock bar added for enhanced theming. Preview mode to edit workspace. New customization. Added new gestures like Swipe up, Swipe down and much more.
- Messaging app: Added new themeable emotions. Message thread changed
- Boot Animation: Themeable boot animation added.
- Font theming: Added themes to change font including Buff, Simpsons, European Gorgeous etc.
- Settings: Changed statistics to point to Avatar statistics server.Added OTA updater for checking the Avatar updates right from your device.
- Framework: Integrated with ACRA Error Reporter for system wide crashes.
- Lockscreen: Added new complex unlock gestures.
Now we will head on to the actual procedure on how to install Avatar ROM based on the Cyanogenmod 10.2 on Sony Xperia Z.
Try this at your own risk. Neither we nor the developers are responsible for any of the damage caused to your device after following this procedure. Don’t even think if you’re not familiar with this stuff. Although it is very rare that your device will get damaged but still we strongly recommend you to follow all the instructions properly as they are mentioned below.
This update of Avatar 4.0 Custom ROM is compatible only and only with Sony Xperia Z model number C6602/C6603. So don’t flash it if you’re having another device except the one mentioned as your device may get bricked or may result into unwanted outcomes. You must check your device’s model number in Settings –> About Phone.
- Make sure that your device is charged at least up to 80% so that it won’t get turn off during the flashing process.
- For improving your battery life, follow this guide:
- How to Improve Battery Life of an Android Device (Tips).
- Also we highly recommend you to backup all your Phone data and settings including contacts, SMS/MMS and call logs etc. to external memory card since it gets wiped in the last step of procedure.
- For backing up Contacts & Messages, use this article:
- How to Backup Android Contacts and Text Messages (SMS/MMS).
- For backing up Call logs, APNs & EFS folder, use this article:
- How to backup Call logs, APNs and EFS folder from your Android Device.
- Before proceeding to the actual installation procedure, ensure that you have unlocked the bootloader of your device. If you haven’t done it yet, follow this guide.
- Custom Recovery like Clockworkmod must be installed in order to flash Avatar Custom ROM. Follow this guide to install CWM on your device using RecoverX tool.
- The two steps mentioned above are very much essential before updating with Avatar on Sony Xperia Z.
- Download the Avatar Custom ROM from the given link below:
- Click Here to Download
- Download the Google Apps from the given link below:
- Click here to Download
- After downloading, connect your device to the PC, enable mass storage mode and transfer these files to your device internal storage.
- Further you need to flash kernel image which is required to boot Avatar ROM. For that follow the instructions mentioned below.
- Download the Fastboot files from the link given below:
- Fastboot Files
- Extract this downloaded zip file. You will find four files inside the fastboot folder. Now extract the boot.img file from ROM package (located in root directory). It’s nothing but a kernel file.
- Move this kernel file in the fastboot folder. So the folder will have total five files inside it. Now you need to boot your phone in fastboot mode. For doing so, press & hold volume up button while connecting your phone to PC. Then open the Fastboot folder, where the 5 files are located.
- Press and hold Shift button of your keyboard. By holding it, right click on empty space. From the list, choose Open command window here option. So a command window will be opened. Now you can use this command prompt to enter ADB & fastboot commands.
- First, type the following command in command prompt to ensure if device is connected properly.
- After that you will see some random numbers on your screen, which means your device is properly connected.
- Further on, enter the command to flash the kernel:
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- Next enter the following command to reboot your device automatically.
- So after following the above process, disconnect the phone from PC and now enter into the recovery mode. For that switch off your device, switch it on again, while phone is restarting (during boot logo & LED turns blue), press and tap Volume up button. In this way you can enter into recovery mode.
- It is necessary to make a nandroid backup of your current ROM so that it can be restored back in any case of failure. To do so, follow our guide:
- How to Backup whole ROM/Firmware via Clockworkmod (CWM) recovery.
- Now select ‘install zip from SD card’ & then ‘choose zip from SD card’ from the recovery mode itself. It will show all your folders and files on SD card. Now navigate to ROM file which you’ve copied earlier & simply select it. Confirm the installation by pressing ‘Yes’. This is how the installation process will begin.
- The process will complete in just a few minutes. Now as soon as the ROM gets flashed, select ‘wipe data/factory reset’ followed by ‘wipe cache partition.’ This will wipe all the data & caches from the phone memory respectively.
- Follow the same above procedure for flashing Google Apps. But remember not to perform the last step of wiping data after installation of Google Apps. Go back and select the ‘reboot system now’ from the Recovery mode itself. The new ROM will take more time than usual to restart.
Note: If you want to restore back your previous Rom you can do that by simply going back to the Recovery mode and select ‘Backup and Restore’ option and then on next screen select ‘Restore’.
Whoa! Avatar 4.0 Custom ROM has been successfully installed on your Sony Xperia Z. Now experience your device running with more efficiency and ultimate performance. If you face any kind of difficulty or any trouble with the article then don’t worry. We, the members of androidlegend.com are always ready to help you in any difficulty. All you need to do is drop your problem through comments given below.