The concept of Tablet is getting very popular these days. There are various different advantages of a tab over normal phone. Tablet has a larger battery so it is very convenient for those who have long usage hours. Plus larger screen of tablets provides them with unique advantages over phone. Many people use tablets to read books. It is very convenient to read on your tab instead of hard bound books plus you can also carry thousands of e-books on the go with you in your Tab.
As all of us know Android is most popular operating system in the world. Now Tablets based on Android platform have well established themselves in market. Being giants of electronic industry, Samsung currently have largest variety in tablets available in market. Realizing the trend of market they brought various Tabs in market based on Android platform pretty early.
Their second generation of tabs was very popular. These tabs were aimed at budget market and both the models were launched with on board Ice Cream Sandwich. The Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 was announced on 13 February 2012. It was shown along with the Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 at the 2012 Mobile World Conference.
The Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 was originally released with Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. An upgrade to Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean was later made available. With the update its user interface was updated to TouchWiz UX software. As well as apps from Google, including Google Play, Gmail and YouTube, plus it has some apps from Samsung such as ChatON, S Suggest and All Share Play.
The Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 is available various variants. It comes with various internal storage capacities varying from 8 to 32 GB. It has a 7-inch PLS LCD screen with a resolution of 1024×600 pixels, and both front- and rear-facing cameras.
And now there is a great news for Tab 2 7.0 users. Samsung has officially released Android 4.2.2 update for this Tab. So users of Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 can now enjoy all the latest features of Jelly Bean 4.2.2. The only thing is that this update is not currently available in all countries. But users can update their devices manually. Following article explains a very simple procedure of updating galaxy Tab 2 7.0 to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean manually.
The steps mentioned in given tutorial are considered as risky and may cause damage to your device. It is recommended that you should not follow these steps if you are not aware of all these things. Read the article at your own risk. We or developers are not responsible for any damage caused to your mobile after attempting these steps.
This firmware of Android 4.2.2 has to be flashed only on Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 having model number P-3110 and P-3100. Implementing this guide on any other model / device than the mentioned one might result in unwanted outcomes.
Please confirm your device’s model number before you proceed further. You can check it by following this path on your phone: Home Screen –> Menu –> Settings –> About device.
- Charge your Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 at least upto 70% so as to have the uninterrupted process of flashing the firmware.
- It is highly recommended to take a backup of all important data like SMS/MMS, APN, contacts etc. since it can be restored back if anything goes wrong during the installation. Follow the links given below to backup your device completely.
- How to Backup Call logs, APNs and EFS folder from your Android Device.
- How to Backup Android Contacts and Text Messages (SMS / MMS).
- How to Backup whole ROM / Firomware via Clockworkmod (CWM) Recovery
- Enable USB Debugging option in your phone.
- And a last but not the least thing that device specific drivers (Samsung Drivers) are necessary and must be installed in your computer to establish contact between PC and your device. You can install them by installing Samsung Kies. Download Kies from here. OR Download appropriate device driver directly from the link mentioned below:
- Samsung Drivers for Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
- There are certain files that you should download before you actually begin with the flashing process. They are listed below.
- Download Odin Multi Downloader v3.07 (Firmware flashing Program).
- Odin Multi Downloader v3.07
- Download Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Firmware Package from the link provided below. Download the file according to your device:
- Android 4.2.2 Firmware for Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 GT-P3110 (Wifi)
- Android 4.2.2 Firmware for Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 GT-P3100 (3G & Wifi)
- Extract firmware package (.zip file) to a convenient location on your Computer. After extraction, you’ll find a file with .tar.md5 extension
- Now, turn off the phone completely (till it vibrates). Boot into download mode. In order to perform this action, press & hold Volume Up + Power key simultaneously. You’ll see the Green Android robot & downloading… text written below it. It means your phone has booted into download mode.
- Open Odin Multi Downloader tool (which you’ve just downloaded) on PC & connect your phone to the computer (using USB cable).
- If your phone is connected successfully, you’ll see that the ID:COM section (located at top left) is turned blue with a random COM port number appeared below it. Also, you’ll get “Added” text appeared in message box (If your ID:COM box doesn’t turn out to be blue, don’t worry. Just install Samsung drivers using the link mentioned in Pre-requisites).
- In Odin, tick PDA tab & choose .tar.md5 which you have downloaded earlier file. Keep all the remaining options as they are & make sure that you have NOT ticked Re-Partition box. Because even if you do it accidentally, you are going to brick your phone (it can be soft brick or even a hard brick).
- Finally, push the Start button and wait till Odin loads / flash the firmware on your device. When flashing process gets done, Odin will display the ‘Pass’ message above ID:COM (with the Green colored background) & device will restart automatically (if Auto Reboot option is ticked).
- (Important!!) However if your phone gets stuck or you get a fail message then close the Odin window, disconnect phone from computer, remove battery and re-insert it. Now, follow the same procedure again.
- Unplug the device from Computer (only if you get pass message in Odin).
- Now you will need to factory reset the phone in order to avoid bootloops & ensure proper functioning of the phone (this is required even if you successfully get into Android 4.2.2 Home screen).
- To factory reset the phone, you’ll have to boot into recovery mode. Steps for the same are given below:
- Switch off the phone (you can do so by removing battery or pressing & holding power key).
- Press & hold Volume up + Power key together & then press Power key. Release Power button as soon as Samsung logo appears on the screen. But keep holding other two till you get into recovery mode.
- Your device is now booted in recovery mode.
- Since touch won’t work in here, you will have to use Volume up/down & power key for navigation & selection respectively.
- Now highlight Wipe data/factory reset by using Volume buttons & select it using power key. The same you have to do with Wipe Cache partition option (optional).
- After performing these actions in recovery, finally hit reboot system now option to restart the phone.
- Your phone might take some extra time to boot than usual. No need to bother about it because this is for the first time only.
- As soon as phone gets started, go through the initial setup, enter your Google Account credentials and finally hit Finish button to complete the setup.
Aha!! You have successfully updated your Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 to Official Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean firmware. Now enjoy all the latest features and don’t forget to share your opinions and views about this update. Also you can ask your difficulties through comments. We will try to solve them.