Everyone knows that Samsung is a bit slow on providing updates but most of their updates are very stable and bug free. But when it comes to flagship devices, company has to be very fast about updates. Now as promised in a recent event, Samsung has kept their promise by providing Android 4.3 update to Galaxy S4.
Speaking of this latest update there are not much visual changes, but there are several other improvements. You can feel them easily, devices simply feels pretty fast. Also benchmark scores have significantly increased. With Android 4.2.2 we used to get AnTuTu benchmark score around 25 to 26k and now with 4.3 update now it goes to 29-30k.
Here are some improvements listed out below:
Improvements in Android 4.3 Update:
- OpenGL 3.0 Support
- TRIM Support (Makes the device much faster)
- ANT+ Support
- Samsung KNOX Implementation (KNOX bootloader and dedicated application)
- Galaxy Gear Support
- Improved RAM management
- Improved Display color reproduction (Display looks much sharper than before)
- Improved TouchWiz Launcher (Much less launcher redraws and less lag)
- New Samsung Keyboard
- New Samsung Browser (Full screen by default, new tab interface and more)
- New Reading Mode (Optimizes display for reading, used by only a few specific applications)
- New Camera firmware
- Minor UI tweaks (Contacts app, Flashlight Widget, dialog boxes etc)
Now you are just few steps away from having this features in your phone. Just follow the simple steps given in the article to update your Galaxy S4 to Official Android 4.3 firmware.
Procedure written in the article below is not that difficult but it is a bit tricky. So please follow each an every step carefully. Flashing this firmware won’t increase binary counter also it won’t void warranty. And it is very unlikely that your device will get damaged. We, AndroidLegend.com, are not responsible for any damage or misbehavior of your mobile after inculcating these instructions.
This official firmware flashing procedure is only meant for International variant of Samsung Galaxy S4 having model no I-9500. Remember that implementing it on any other device may lead to undesired consequences.
Please confirm your device’s model number before you proceed further. You can check it by following this path on your phone: Home Screen –> Menu –> Settings –> About device.
- Charge your phone at least up to 75% so as to have the uninterrupted installation procedure.
- As all the data on the mobile gets wiped during installation of ROM, you should take a backup of all your personal important data like SMS, MMS, APN, contacts etc. to the external memory. Just follow guides given below to do a complete backup.
- How to Backup Android Contacts and Text Messages (SMS/MMS).
- How to backup Call logs, APNs and EFS folder from your Android Device.
- Device specific drivers should be installed on your PC. If you don’t have it can download from here.
- Disable any security related software installed on your PC.
- First download Android 4.3 Jelly Bean XXUEMJ8 firmware for Samsung Galaxy S4. Extract the downloaded file on your PC so that you will get a .tar.md5 file.
- Click here to download.
- For flashing this firmware you will need a tool called Odin. This a tool made by Samsung which is used for flashing firmware on Samsung mobiles. Download and install Odin v3.09 on your computer.
- Click here to download.
- Now, switch off the phone completely. Enter into download mode. For doing the same, press & hold Volume down + Power button until the screen turns on. After that simply press Power key once again. Finally you’ll see the construction Android robot & a yellow triangle, which means your device has entered in download mode.
- Connect mobile to computer through USB cable.
- By that time launch Odin v3.09 on your computer which you have installed earlier. After proper connection of mobile to computer, you will see that one of the ID: COM box turns turned blue. At the same time Added!! message will appear in Odin’s message box. If you don’t get such a message make sure that you have installed mobile drivers.
- In Odin, tick PDA tab & choose .tar.md5 which you have downloaded earlier file.
- (Important) Don’t click anywhere else in the Odin. Make sure that re-partition is not ticked.
- After doing everything properly, press Start button to flash the firmware in mobile. Wait for few minutes. It will take 5-10 minutes for flashing the firmware on mobile. In this course don’t remove USB cable from the phone. And finally your phone will get rebooted automatically showing pass message in message box.
- Disconnect your phone from PC by removing USB cable.
- Procedure isn’t over yet.Turn your device off again. Now you need to enter into Recovery mode.
- You can do it by pressing & holding Volume up + Home button together & then pressing Power key. You can release Power button as soon as Samsung logo appears.
- Use Volume Up/Down keys to navigate options in recovery &Power button to select them.
- To avoid your device from going into boot loop, in the Recovery mode, select wipe data/factory reset&wipe cache partition.
- After wiping data, select reboot system now to restart the phone. Usually first boot take some time after flashing firmware so be patient. As soon as device gets rebooted successfully, you’ll land in All new firmware.
Great Job! You have successfully updated your GS4 to official Android 4.3 Jelly Bean. Don’t forget to share your views about this new update. And If you have any difficulty ask it through comments.