Samsung is truly king in electronics market. Every year their flagship devices come with stunning new features. It’s been only few months since Galaxy S4 is launched, and now rumors about Galaxy S5 have started coming out. One thing for sure it will come loaded with amazing features, but as new features are included the price also increases. And for those who cannot afford the flagship devices, Samsung established a trend of launching “mini” versions of their flagship models.
Along with Galaxy S3, they presented Galaxy S3 Mini. This smaller version of their flagship had many of the same features, however some of them were stripped down at the cost of low price. The device was hit and so was the concept of “mini” versions.
The device has good support from developers. Recently Google released latest Android 4.4 KitKat along with the launch of Nexus 5. And compared to earlier versions it is faster and smoother. Developers immediately started working on custom ROMs based on this latest update, and here is the output of their hard work.
Latest Cyanogenmod 11 is now available for Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini. So that S3 Mini users can enjoy the treat of Jelly Bean now. Here are some features of this ROM.
- 2D/3D HW Acceleration
- audio (both speakers/headphones/microphone)
- Glonass navigation
- Bluetooth 4.0 with LE support A2DP
- all native tethers (Wifi/BT/USB)
- Google Play
- CM11 functionallity
- CPU sleep mode
- no flicker
- YouTube HQ
- Wifi direct
- external storage
- native 64GB+ sdcard support (exFAT)
- auto EFS backup
- no 1GHz bug
- also flashable via Odin
ROM is almost bug free, but even if you come across one, wait for updates. They will be fixed soon.
Follow the simple steps given below to get Android 4.4 KitKat running on your own GS 3 Mini
The procedure of flashing this custom ROM given below may seem difficult to those who don,t have experience of flashing ROMs, and who are newbies. So follow it on your own risk. Neither we nor developer of this ROM is responsible for any damage caused due to following the process.
This process of flashing Cyanogenmod is only meant for Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini having model number I8190. Don’t even think of trying it on any other device or variant of the same phone.
Note: Flashing custom ROM voids the warranty. So think before going for it. You can retain it by flashing official firmware.
- Make sure that you have charged your phone to a certain level so that flashing process goes uninterrupted. 70% charging will be enough.
- You need to install custom recovery like Clockworkmod recovery on your phone. Without any custom recovery you cannot flash custom ROM. Follow this procedure to install the same. Or follow this article to install TWRP recovery.
- Enable USB debugging in your phone.
- To begin with the ROM flashing procedure, first you must download the two files. First is the ROM package file and another is Gapps file. The links to download these files are given below.
- Cyanogenmod 11 for Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini
- As Cyanogenmod 11 doesn’t have pre-installed Gapps,you have to separately download the Google Apps package and flash them after flashing the ROM. Click on the link below to download them to your computer.
- Gapps for CM 11
- Using USB cable, connect your phone to computer and enable disk drive mode. After that transfer the downloaded files to external SD card of your phone at a path convenient to you. After that disconnect your phone.
- Now you need boot your mobile into recovery mode to flash the custom ROM. To do so, press and hold Volume up + Home + Power button simultaneously until you boot into recovery mode. Use volume keys for navigation while power key for selecting options.
- If you haven’t taken nanroid backup of your ROM already, you can take a backup now. For that select backup & restore and then backup. This backup will be saved in external memory.
- Now in recovery, select wipe data/factory reset and then wipe cache partition to wipe all the data on phone and clear caches. This will delete all the data on the phone’s internal memory.
- Next select install zip from sdcard followed by choose zip from sdcard. A list of files will appear in front of you. Select zip which you have downloaded earlier for installation. Select yes in next step for confirmation. This will take few minutes for installation.
- Then again do wipe data and wipe cache partitions after flashing the ROM file to avoid boot loops.
- Then again repeat the above step of install zip from sdcard followed by choose zip from sdcard. But this time choose Gapps file for installation.
- We are almost done. Now at last select go back and then select reboot system now to boot into all new ROM you installed just now. Remember first boot takes more time than usual.
Great job!!!! You have successfully installed Cyanogenmod 11 on your Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini. Now your phone is running brand new Android 4.4.1 KitKat. Now enjoy all the latest features of it. And again, if you have any doubts, just ask your doubt in comments below. We will try our best to solve it for you.