No doubt that Samsung Galaxy S3 is flagship device of the year for Samsung and it is biggest selling smartphone worldwide. And having such a amazing hardware and grand success in market Samsung has given Galaxy S3 very high priority for giving software updates. That’s why Samsung keeps on updating this device to latest Android versions.
Now Samsung has released official firmware for Galaxy S3 (international variant) based on updated version of Jelly Bean that is Android 4.1.2. Samsung has included variety of new features in this update based on Jelly Bean 4.1.2 and most of them have brought from Note 2. Here is the list of added features in this firmware
Some of the Enhancements in the new update:
- Android 4.1.2 JZO54K
- Multi-View (Multi-Windows Multitasking, same as in Note II)
- Page Buddy
- New Gallery App (Same as in Note II)
- Notification Panel (Notification Panel can now be customized)
- Brightness Slider in Notification Panel Can Now Be Disabled
- Smart Rotation (Screen Display adjusts to your angle of sightings)
- Continues Input in Samsung Keyboard (Like Swipe or Android 4.2 Keyboard)
- Paper Artist App
- Group Cast App
You might not be able to update your device to Android 4.1.2 through Kies right away as the update is rolling out in phases and might not be available for your country. You can wait till it comes for your country or you can go for manual flashing of update using Odin Multi Downloader. Further in this article a step by step procedure is given on how to update Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 to XXELL5 Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean official firmware.
Disclaimer: The steps mentioned in the given article are considered as risky and may cause damage to your mobile. It is recommended that you should not follow the given article if you are unaware of all these things. Carefully follow steps at your own risk. We or developers cannot be held responsible for any damage cause to your mobile.
The given article is strictly intended for Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300. Implementation of this article to any other model or variant might give you undesired results. Even permanent damage can cause to your mobile.
- Battery of your phone must be at least 70% charged in order to haveuninterrupted installation proceess.
- It is recommended to take a backup of all important data like SMS/MMS, APN, contacts etc. since it can be restored back if anything goes wrong during the installation.
- In order to use USB debugging mode on your phone, device specific drivers must be installed on your computer. You can install the same by installing Samsung Kies. To download it manually,click here.
Procedure to Upgrade Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 to Android 4.1.2 Jelly BeanXXELL5 Firmware:
- Download flashing program (Odin Multi Downloader v3.04) & Jelly Bean 4.1.2 Package from the links mentioned below :
- Odin Multi Downloader v3.04
Download Android 4.1.2 I9300 XXELL5 for Galaxy S3
- Extract Jelly Bean 4.1.2 Package (I9300XXELL5_I9300VFGELL1_VD2.zip) in your computer. Youll find a file having extension .tar.md5 in your extracted folder.
- Now switch off your phone. In order to flash the firmware, you need to enter into the downloadingmode. Downloadingmode can be entered by HoldingPower Key + Volume Down Button + Home Buttonsimultaneously.
- After entering into the downloadingmode, youll see “Downloading..” text in yellow. Keeping your phone in downloadingmode, connect it to the PC.
- Open Odin Multi Downloader which youve just downloaded. If your device is properly connected then youll see that the ID:COM section has been turned yellow. (If it is not then you need to install proper drivers of your phoneORsimply installSamsung Kiesfrom the CD which youve got at the time of purchase).
- In Odin, select PDA & choose I9300XXELL5_I9300VFGELL1_I9300BUELK1_HOME.tar.md5 file which you have extracted earlier.
Important!! In Odin do not make any other changes except for selecting the required file as given in above step. Keep all other options as they are. Make sure you have not checked Re-partition box by mistake.
- Now simply press Start button to initiate flashing process. It will hardly take 6-7 Minutes to get over.
- As soon as Odin finished the process, ID:COM section will turn Green & will show Pass in the box above ID:COM section.
Important!! If Odin gets stuck at any step after you hit the start button and seems to be not responding or if you get FAIL message in Odin after completion of process this is what you have to do. Disconnect your phone from computer and close the Odin. Remove the battery of your phone and re-insert it. Then again go to downloading mode and repeat the procedure.
- Disconnect your Note from PC.
- Switch it off again since whole procedure isn’t over yet. Now you need to enter into Recovery mode. The same can be entered by HoldingVolume Up + Home Key + Power Buttonsimultaneously.
- In the Recovery mode, select wipe data/factory reset & wipe cache partition. You have to use Volume Up/Down keys to highlight those options & Home button to select them.
- After wiping data, select reboot system now to Restart the Phone. Usually first boot take some time after flashing firmware so be patient. As soon as device gets rebooted successfully , youll land in TouchWiz Home Screen.
Excellent!! You have successfully updated your Galaxy S3 to official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean XXELL5 firmware.Do let us know through comments how it is working for you. If you have got any doubt at any step, feel free to ask. We will try our best to solve it.