Tired of waiting for Official Jelly Bean to come out ? Well, Android 4.1 is now made available for Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100G & that can be installed with the help of famous custom ROM called AOKP. Just 3 days back AOKP released its major update – Milestone 1 for all the supported devices along with Android 4.1.2. New update brings you four new features listed below:
- Adjustable NavBar width for Tablets.
- Allow “Vibrate on Touch” behavior for Slide unlock.
- Toggles can be hidden like in ICS – long press on the Settings button!
- Clickable (short & long configurable) Clock and Calendar in the Notification Slider.
Read on further to know how you can install latest AOKP Milestone 1 update on your Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100G.
Disclaimer: Steps given in this article are considered as risky & can cause damage to your phone. You should not try to attempt these things if you aren’t aware of it. Please follow this guide completely at your own risk. If any damage happened to your device we won’t be held liable for it.
Please note that, this update is applicable only for Samsung Galaxy S2 having model number I9100G. DON’T try this on other variants of Galaxy S2 or on any other device, it can cause damage to your phone.
- Enable USB Debugging option in your phone.
- Charge your device up to 70% battery level so that installation procedure won’t be interrupted.
- It is highly recommended to backup all your data from phone memory which includes contacts, messages (SMS/MMS), call logs, Internet APNs etc.
Procedure to Upgrade Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100G with AOKP Custom ROM (Android 4.1.2):
- Upgrade your device to stock ICS 4.0.3 XXLPQ Firmware using this guide.
(Important) Root & install custom Clockworkmod Recovery on your phone using guide given here.
- Download AOKP Milestone 1 ROM from the link given below :
- AOKP Milestone 1
- Download Google Apps (Gmail, Maps, GTalk, Play Store etc.) which need to be flashed manually since they are not present in the ROM by default.
- Google Apps for Jelly Bean
- After downloading ROM package & Google Apps, connect your phone to the PC. Enable mass storage mode to access SD card data & transfer both the files on it.
- Disconnect the phone from computer. Now boot into Clockworkmod recovery. To do so, switch off the phone completely. Press & hold Volume Up + Home Button + Power Key together until recovery mode appears (you can release power button after Samsung logo appears but keep holding other two until recovery mode shows up).
- After getting into CWM recovery, first & very essential step you need to do is take a nandroid backup of your current ROM so that it can be restored back (in case if anything goes wrong). To back up your current ROM, select Backupand Restore option from the recovery menu & on next screen, select backup. Now It will make a nandroid backup of whole system (excluding SD card). Wait for the backup process to get finished.
- Select wipe data/factory reset & wipe cache partition to wipe all the data & caches respectively from the phone memory.
- Now Select “install zip from sdcard” & then “choose zip from sdcard“. Select the ROM file from the location where you’ve transferred it earlier & press on Yes to flash the ROM.
- Wait for the ROM to get installed. After ROM gets successfully installed, your phone will land in the recovery mode.
- Again select “install zip from sdcard” followed by “choose zip from sdcard” & this time navigate Google apps package file (gapps-jb-20121011-signed.zip). Press on Yes to install Google Apps.
- After flashing both the files, Select reboot system now to Restart the phone.
Tip: In case if you want to revert back to your previous ROM , enter into recovery mode (mentioned above). From the main menu, select Backupand Restore option & on next screen, select restore & choose the backup you would like to restore.
Congratulations ! AOKP JB Milestone 1 update is now installed on your Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100G. If you have any question, comment it below, we will try our best to sort out the same.