If You Are Waiting For ICS ROM Which Uses Less Phone Memory Than The Other Custom ROMs & Also Which Will Use Less Phone Resources, Well Today We Are Here Again To Fulfill Your Requirements. This ROM is Made So Light Weighted & Real Slim. Many System Apps Have Been Removed In This Slim ICS ROM In Order To Increase Overall System Performance. Slim ICS ROMs Uses Significantly Less Resources Than Any Stock Or Custom ROM. More Phone Memory is Available To Users. Since It is Based On CM9, UI & Some Other Things Are Way Similar To It. Now All You Have To Do is Flash This Slim ICS ROM By Following The Procedure Mentioned Below.
Let Us Go Through The Shortlist Of Things We Will Be Checking In This Article..
- Features & Changelog Slim ICS ROM.
- Essential Steps Before Installing ROM.
- Procedure to Update Galaxy S I9000 with Slim ICS ROM.
Disclaimer: We Have Made This Article Covering Each And Every Part At Our Level Best.In Case If Any Damage Happens to Your Device (It Should not Be),We will Not Held Any Responsibility for It.
Key Features & Changelog Slim ICS ROM:
- Based On AOSP Sources.
- Easy To Customize Features (Advanced Slim Settings).
- Base ROM – 44MB
- Device Essentials – ~20MB
- Slim Gapps – 14 MB
- 5 languages ( en, fr, de, it and es).
- Lightning Launcher
- Lockscreen Options ( Calendar, Weather etc, check via ASS)
- Screenshot via Customizable Navigation Bar
- Center Clock & Other Customizable Features Added.
- Data Toggle Fixed.
- Decrease Custom Lockscreen Icon Size.
- Remove Reboot Requirement on IME Feature.
- Changed Boot Animation.
Caution: This update is Made Only For Galaxy S I9000 & Not For It’s Other Variants.
Essential Steps Before Installing ROM:
- You Must Enable USB Debugging By Checking the Box in your device by Following the Path Below:
Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging
- It will highly Recommended to Backup all Your data Stored in your phone So as to Restore it back just in case If You Lose or Corrupt the Data During this Process.
- Your Device Must be Charged up to 70% or Above Battery Level to Ensure that Your Device should not be Turned Off During this Process.
- It will be Recommended to Temporary Disable Security Tools as well as Antivirus Installed on your Computer as This might Interrupt the Process.
- Your Device Must Be Running Latest Gingerbread 2.3.6 (Value Pack) ROM.(We Recommend To Use Latest Gingerbread 2.3.6 XWJW5 Firmware).
By Assuming that you have followed all the instructions mentioned in Essential Steps Before Installing ROM, you are now ready to proceed further where we will check on how to apply this Update in your phone.
Note (For Advanced Users) : Those Who Have Already Rooted & Installed Custom Recovery On Their Galaxy S Should Follow The Instructions From Step 2.
Procedure to Update Galaxy S I9000 with Slim ICS ROM :
Before Proceeding, Your Device Must be Rooted & should Have Custom Recovery Image in it. As without having rooted And Custom recovery installed,you cannot apply this update of Slim ICS ROM.
For Simplicity We Have Divided this Process in 2 simple Steps.
Step 1: Rooting & Custom Recovery Installation
- Firstly You Need to Download Following Two Files :
Odin Multi Downloader.
Rooting & Custom Recovery Package For 2.3.6 XXJW5. (Your Device Must Running Gingerbread 2.3.6 XWJW5 Firmware To Make This Work. If It is Not Running It Already, Follow The Article On How To Update Samsung Galaxy S I9000 With 2.3.6 XWJW5).
Note : Since CF-Root Kernel For XWJW5 is Not Available, We Have Provided CF-Root Kernel of XWJW4 Firmware Which can Be Flashed For XWJW5.
- Open odin3_v1.85.exe in Your Computer.Check the PDA Tab in Odin Multi Downloader.Place “CF-Root-XX_OXA_JW4-v4.4-CWM3RFS.tar” File in PDA Tab.Now Switch Off Your Device.And Enter Into the Downloading Mode. Downloading Mode Can be Entered By Holding Volume Down+Power Button+Home Button.
- Now Connect Your Device which you Have Already Put in The Downloading Mode.Odin will Turn Yellow.Then Press Start Button.Wait Until Odin Shows Blue Pass.(This will take Hardly 5 Minutes).
- As Soon as Device Passed,Restart Your Phone & You will Observe that Two Applications named as CWM Manager & Superuser are Installed.It Means Your Device is Now Rooted & Has Custom Recovery Installed.
Now in Further Article We will See How to Install Slim ICS ROM Using Custom Clockwork Mod Recovery.
Step 2: Download the Files Mentioned Below in your computer As We will require it in Due Course of Article.
- Cyanogenmod 9
Galaxy S Base. (For Slim ICS).
Galaxy S Essentials. (For Slim ICS).
- As soon As you download the above file, you then need to proceed to connect your Device to the PC using the USB Cable. After Connecting your Device to PC select USB Mass Storage on your Phone & then Transfer All The FilesWhich You’ve Just Downloaded to The SD Card.
- After Transferring the File to Your Phone, disconnect the phone from the computer and then Switch Off the phone so that you can then Enter into the Recovery mode. The recovery mode can be entered by Holding Center button+Power Button Simultaneously Until Recovery Mode Appears.
- In the recovery mode, you need to select the option of install zip from SD card and then choose zip from SD Card after which you will see the list of files which are there in the phone. then First Locate “ cm-9-xxxxxxxx-NIGHTLY-galaxysmtd.zip” .Install It And Then Subsequently Install Base_Samsung_4.0.zip, 4.0_I9000_Essentials.zip,Slim_Gapps.zip.
- As Soon As You Finished With Installing All The Four Files Mentioned Above, Now Select Wipe data/factory reset and also you need to select Wipe Cache partition.
- It will take around 10-12 minutes for the whole process of update to get completed. Once the update process is done, the device will be landing up in the recovery mode. Now, select ++++ Go Back ++++ > reboot system now so that the device will restart successfully.
Note: If Device Enters in The Boot Loop As Soon As It Gets Flashed For The First Time, Remove The Battery Reinsert It & Flash The ROM Again.Wait For The Lockscreen To Appear.
Cheers !!! You’ve Successfully Installed Slim ICS 4.0.4 ROM on Your Galaxy S I9000. Now Just In Case If You Need Any Help Regarding The Procedure Mentioned Above, Do Not Hesitate To Tell Us In Comment Section Below, We Are Always Ready To Help You..
Credits : krarvind (From XDA Forums).