Along with their most popular Android operating system Google has also started manufacturing smartphones based on Android. We all witnessed that how much popular the Nexus devices are from the example of Nexus 4 as it’s going out of stock so quickly. Main reasons for popularity of Nexus devices are pure AOSP operating system, quick updates from Google themselves and amazing features in reasonable price.
The Samsung Galaxy Nexus is developed by partnership between Google and Korean giants Samsung back in 2011. It was a flagship Nexus device with on board Ice Cream Sandwich at that time. Being a Nexus device, it received Jelly Bean (Android 4.2) update eventually. But if you want to push your limits then custom ROMs are always there for you.
Being a device of developers’ interest, Samsung Galaxy Nexus has got a large variety of custom ROMs available. And most famous and most used custom ROM amongst them is Cyanogenmod. Along with the latest features of Android 4.2.1, Cyanogenmod 10.1 offers you such a features which you will never get with a stock firmware. Just remember that being a nightly build, some bugs may be present but they will get resolved as further updates are released. Article given below explains how to install Cyanogenmod 10.1 on Samsung Galaxy Nexus.
Disclaimer: The steps mentioned in given tutorial are considered as risky and may cause damage to your device. It is recommended that you should not follow these steps if you are not aware of all these things. Read the article at your own risk. We or developers are not responsible for any damage caused to your mobile after attempting these steps.
This tutorial is applicable only to Samsung Galaxy Nexus having model number I9250. Implementing this tutorial for some other mobile or variant might give you some unexpected results.
- Charge your mobile at least up to 70% so that there will not be any interruption due to low battery.
- Enable USB Debugging option in your phone.
- As all the data on the mobile gets wiped during installation of ROM, you should take a backup of all your personal important data like SMS, MMS, APN, contacts etc. to the external memory.
You must haveunlocked bootloader & Custom Recovery like Clockworkmod / TWRP installed in your phone for flashing CM 10.1. To unlock bootloader, you can use this guide & for installing Clocckworkmod Recovery 6, follow the guide given here.
Procedure to install Cyanogenmod 10.1 on Samsung Galaxy Nexus:
- As the Google Apps are not included in this ROM, you have to separately download them and flash them.
- Download Google Apps (Gmail, Maps, GTalk, Play Store etc.) from the link given below.
- Google Apps for Jelly Bean.
- After downloading ROM package & Google Apps, connect your phone to the PC. Enable mass storage mode to access internal memory data & transfer both the files on the root directory of it
- Disconnect your mobile from PC. Switch it off and boot into recovery mode.
- For booting into recovery mode, press and hold Volume up + Volume down + Power button simultaneously until you land into recovery mode. (Use volume buttons for navigation in recovery mode.)
- It is recommended that you should take a nandroid backup of current system. For that select backup & restore and then backup. This nandroid backup will be saved in external memory.
- Select wipe data/factory reset followed by wipe cache partition to wipe all the data & caches respectively from the phone memory.
- Select install zip from sdcard followed by chose zip from sdcard. Then select package file of the ROM form the list. Select yes for confirmation.
- Then you have to wait for few minutes till the installation of the ROM is finished.
- As stated earlier Google apps are not present in this ROM, you need to flash it separately. For that repeat above step of install zip from sdcard and then chose zip from sdcard and then chose Gapps file.
- After successful flashing of both the files, select go back and reboot system now. Don’t panic if first start takes a bit more time.
Tip: If you dont like this ROM or you are not comfortable with this ROM, you can easily return back to the previous ROM just by entering into the recovery mode. Then select backup & restore option followed by restore & chose your latest backup to restore.
Congratulations!!! You have successfully installed CM 10.1 on your Galaxy Nexus. Now you can enjoy all the latest features of Jelly Bean along with customizations of Cyanogenmod. Do report us how this ROM is working for you and feel free to ask any queries through comments. We will come up with solution as soon as possible.