Being a dual core powered phone & variant of International Galaxy S2 I9100, Samsung Epic 4G Touch has not been added in the list of devices which are getting Android 4.1 Jelly Bean update. But you don’t need to worry anymore since XDA Recognized Developersbrissen has released AOSP based custom ROM which is compiled & ported from the original source code of JB & which will let you taste Jelly bean on your Epic 4G Touch. This ROM brings a pure Jelly bean experience with its decent features.
As of now, the ROM is under development & may contain several bugs. Therefore, it may not be suitable for the daily purpose (depends on the comfortableness of the user). Of course those will be fixed as development goes on..
There are some known issues quoted on official development page & are mentioned below :
– LOS (this is kernel related and I am still trying to track it down)
– Random screen wakes
– Camcorder effects cause FC
Lets find out how you can update Samsung Epic 4G Touch with latest Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean).
Disclaimer: The Procedure described in this article are risky & can cause damage to your device. You should not try to attempt this if you are not aware of these things. Please follow this guide completely at your own risk. If any damage happened to your device while following this tutorial, neither we nor developer should be held responsible for the same.
Please note that, this update is applicable only for Samsung Epic 4G Touch bearing model number SPH-D710. DON’T try it on Galaxy S2 or any other device, it may cause damage to your phone..
Pre-Requisites before installing Jelly Bean Custom ROM update :
- Charge your device upto 60% battery level so that installation procedure won’t be interrupted.
- You will have to wipe all the data (excluding SD card) before installing this custom ROM update. Therefore it is highly recommended to Backup all your data from phone memory which includes contacts, messages (SMS/MMS), call logs, Internet APNs etc.
- Enable USB Debugging option in your phone which can be found out here : “Settings->Applications->Development->USB Debugging”
Procedure to Update Samsung Epic 4G Touch SPH-D710 with Jelly Bean 4.1 :
- Before proceeding to the actual installation procedure, ensure that your device is running Cyanogenmod 9 ROM & has custom recovery installed in it. Please don’t proceed further if your phone doesn’t meet above 2 requirements.
- Download latest version of AOSP ROM from the official development page (link is mentioned below) :
- AOSP ROM for Samsung Epic 4G Touch
- (Optional) Download Google Apps (Gmail, Maps, GTalk, Play Store etc.) which need to be flashed manually since they are not present in the ROM by default.
Google Apps (Jelly Bean).
- After downloading ROM package & Google Apps, connect your device to PC. Enable mass storage mode on it. Now copy both the files to your device’s SD card.
- Disconnect it from computer. Boot in recovery mode on your phone. To do so, switch off the phone completely. Press & hold Volume Up + Home Down + Power Key together until recovery mode appears (you may release power button after Samsung logo but keep holding other two).
- Take a nandroid backup of your current ROM so that it can be restored back (in case if anything goes wrong). To backup your current ROM, select Backupand Restore option from the recovery mode & on next screen, select backup. Now It will make a nandroid backup of your whole system (excluding SD card). Wait for the backup process to get finished.
- Select wipe data/factory reset & wipe cache partition to wipe all the data & caches from the phone memory respectively.
- Now Select “install zip from sdcard” & then “choose zip from sdcard“. Select the ROM file from the location where you’ve transferred it earlier & select Yes to flash the ROM.
- Wait for the ROM to get installed. After ROM gets successfully installed, your phone will land in the recovery mode again.
(Optional) The same procedure you have to do for installation of Google Apps (Don’t wipe the data again). After you finished installation of Gapps, press back button to go to the main menu of CWM.
- Select reboot system now to Restart the phone.
That’s it !! Your Samsung Epic 4G Touch is now running Jelly bean 4.1 firmware. Keep visiting the official development page for the latest updates & if you have any issue regarding this procedure, comment it below, we will try our best to sort out the same.
Tip: In case if you want to revert back to your previous ROM , enter into recovery mode (mentioned above), from the main menu, select Backupand Restore option & on next screen, select restore & choose your latest backup to restore.