Motorola is not that famous in Android Smartphone Market but when it comes to updates, they are much faster than the other manufacturers. Motorola has already provided Android 4.1 Jelly Bean for their Droid RAZR Smartphone (both CDMA / GSM variant). Though Android 4.1 is available for Droid RAZR, Motorola hasn’t commented on Android 4.2.2 update yet. They may or may not going to provide it.
But don’t worry you can still upgrade your phone through CustomROM. Recently, the famous Custom ROM maker AOKP has released Build 6 which is based on Android 4.2.2. AOKP ROM offers many new features over pure AOSP or stock ROM. You can view the list of new features added in build 6 on AOKP’s official site.
So, in further article we’ll check out the procedure required for updating Motorola Droid RAZR to Android 4.2.2 via AOKP Build 6.
Disclaimer: The procedure given in this tutorial is considered as risky and may cause damage to your phone. It is recommended that you should not follow it unless you are familiar with these things. Follow this guide completely at your own risk. Neither we nor ROM developer will be held responsible for any damage caused to your device while attempting these steps.
The guide is strictly intended for Motorola Droid RAZR having model number XT910 (GSM) & XT912 (CDMA / VZW). Dont try it on any other device. This may result in permanent damage to your device.
- Charge your device up to 75% battery level so that ROM installation won’t be interrupted.
- Enable / Tick ‘USB Debugging’ option in your phone.
- It is highly recommended to backup all your data from internal memory (includes contacts, messages (SMS/MMS), call logs, Internet APNs etc.). Your phone data will get lost after installation of this ROM (excluding External storage).
Procedure to Upgrade Motorola Droid RAZR to Android 4.2.2 via AOKP Build 6 Custom ROM:
- You’re going to install a custom ROM & for that you need to have Safestrap Recovery 3.05 or higher installed in your phone. If you haven’t installed one yet, you can do so by following this article. (Note that it’s necessary to have custom recovery installed. Without this, you can’t proceed to the next steps).
- Download AOKP ROM package from the links mentioned below. (If you’re GSM /CDMA user, choose your ROM file accordingly)
- AOKP Build 6 for Motorola Droid RAZR XT912 (VZW / CDMA)
- AOKP Build 6 for Motorola Droid RAZR XT910 (GSM)
- Download Google Apps (Gmail, Maps, GTalk, Play Store etc.) from the link given below.
- Google Apps for Jelly Bean
- After downloading ROM package & Google Apps, connect your phone to the PC. Enable mass storage mode (or any equivalent mode) to access the internal memory. Transfer both the files on the root directory of it.
- Now boot your phone into the recovery mode. For that, power off the phone completely. Power it on again. You’ll see the splash screen. While the splash screen is showing, hit Menu button to boot into Safestrap recovery.
- After getting into the recovery, make a nandroid backup of your current ROM so that it can be restored back in case of failure. To do so, Highlight backup option in the recovery menu, select it to start the backup process.
- For AOKP ROM installation, you need to create a ROM slot. To do so, hit Boot Options followed by ROM-Slot-1² option. Change the minimum data partition size to 1 GB. Wait for the process to get complete.
Note: You can also select different partition size (2 GB / 3 GB). It depends on the size you want to allocate for the ROM and apps & games you’re going to install in it.
- After completion of Partitioning operation, you can use the created ROM slot for flashing this ROM.
- Now press Home button to go back in the main menu of Safestrap recovery.
- Tap on ‘Install’ option and navigate to the AOKP ROM package (aokp_spyder_jb-mr1_build-6.zip / aokp_umtsspyder_jb-mr1_build-6.zip), select it & finally confirm the installation. Wait for the process to get complete.
- Now select Wipe’ to wipe the data from the internal memory. (Caution! performing this step will erase all the data from internal memory, which includes sms/mms, contacts, reminders, APNs, call logs, apps etc. therefore ensure that youve taken backup of all these things before).
- By implementing the same step required for installation of CM10.1 custom ROM, you can flash the Google Apps (gapps-jb-20130301-signed.zip).
- After you finish flashing both the files, Select “reboot system now” to Restart the phone.
- Youll have to wait for 10 seconds to complete the boot (You can select Continue to boot the new ROM without waiting for the automatic process).
Tip: In case if you don’t like this ROM, you can restore back your previous ROM using Safestrap’s restore feature. To restore the previous ROM, boot into the Safestrap recovery, select Restoreoption.Now choose the backup you like to restore (or the restore the backup you’ve made before flashing this ROM).
That’s it!! You’ve successfully updated your Motorola Droid RAZR (GSM / CDMA) to Android 4.2.2 with AOKP Build 6 Custom ROM. Let us know if you’ve any problems, we’ll try our best to sort out them. Enjoy..