As we all know that HTC is going to roll out Android 4.1 Jelly Bean for One S. But the date is not yet announced by HTC. If you are eagerly waiting for the official update to come out then you have to wait some longer as it might take some time for HTC to release the same. But instead of waiting for official Jelly Bean update, there are custom ROMs by which you can enjoy the taste of latest Android 4.1 before it get releases for your phone.
XDA Recognized Contributor klin1344 has ported AOKP ROM for HTC One S. AOKP (Android Open Kang Project) is a custom ROM based on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean which offers lots of customizable functionality along with the features of Jelly Bean. That’s why, it is getting more popular amongst the other custom ROMs available for the same. As per the developer almost everything is working fine.
Read on how to update HTC One S to Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean via AOKP Custom ROM.
Disclaimer : The Procedure described in this article are risky & can cause damage to your device. You should not try to attempt this if you are not aware of these things. Please follow this guide completely at your own risk. If any damage happened to your device while following this tutorial, we should not be held responsible for it.
Please note that, the steps mentioned in this article should be performed on HTC One S. DON’T try it on any other device, it can damage your phone while doing so.
Procedure to Update HTC One S with AOKP Custom ROM (Android 4.1 Jelly Bean) :
- Before proceeding further, ensure that you have unlocked the bootloader of your device. If you not done this already, follow the guide mentioned in the link given below:
- How to unlock bootloader of HTC One S
- In order to flash AOKP ROM update on your phone, custom recovery like Clockworkmod or TWRP (Recommended) must be installed.
- Download latest AOKP build from the official ROM development page (link is given below):
AOKP Custom ROM for HTC One S.
- (Optional) Download Google Add-on Apps (Gmail, Maps, GTalk, Play Store etc.) which are not present in ROM by default.
Google Apps (Jelly Bean).
- Copy ROM file & GApps to your device’s SD Card.
- Download the fastboot files which we will need to flash the kernel image.
- Fastboot Files
- Extract above zip package,. You will find four files inside your extracted folder.
- Open ROM package which you’ve just downloaded in your computer. Search for boot.img inside it (which is kernel file). Extract that kernel file using WinRAR & copy the same in fastboot folder so that you should have total five files inside it by now.
- On the phone (while switched off), enter into the fastboot mode. To do so,
- Press & hold Volume Down + Power Button together.
- Your device will be booted in bootloader mode. Now navigate Fastboot mode using volume up/down buttons & select it using power button.
- After entering into the Fastboot mode, Connect your phone to the PC.
- Open the ‘Fastboot‘ folder.
- Now Open command prompt & Point its directory to the fastboot folder (OR You can do the same as: open Fastboot folder, Press & hold shift key and then right click on the free space in the same folder.When right clicked (holding shift), you’ll see ‘Open Command window here‘ option. Click it & Command prompt will get opened pointing to the Fastboot directory).
- Put this command in command prompt :fastboot devices (After entering this command, you’ll see the random numbers are appeared in the command prompt window.This is to ensure that your device is properly connected. If it doesn’t appear then you need to install HTC Sync software to install essential drivers for One S).
- Type the following command in command prompt to flash the kernel file:
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- Restart the phone by typing “adb reboot bootloader” (without quotes) in command prompt.
- Now disconnect the phone from computer & boot into the recovery mode. To do so, switch off the device, press & hold Volume Down button + Power key. You’ll be landed in bootloader mode. Now highlight recovery option using volume up/down keys & select it using power button.
- Take a nandroid backup of your current ROM so that it can be restored back (in case if anything goes wrong). To backup your current ROM, select Backupand Restore option from the recovery mode & on next screen, select backup. Now It will make a nandroid backup of your whole system (excluding SD card). Wait for the backup process to get finished.
- After successfully backup, select wipe data/factory reset & wipe cache partition to wipe all the data & caches from the phone memory respectively.
- Select “install zip from sdcard” & then “choose zip from sdcard“. Navigate the ROM file (which you’ve transferred earlier) Select it & press on ‘Yes‘ to continue. ROM installation process will start.
- Wait for the ROM to get installed. After ROM gets successfully installed, your phone will land in the recovery mode.
- Again select “install zip from sdcard” followed by “choose zip from sdcard” & this time navigate Google apps package file (gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip). Press on Yes to install Google Apps.
- After flashing both the files, Select reboot system now to Restart the phone.
There you go !! You’ve successfully updated your HTC One S to Android 4.1 Jelly Bean based custom ROM. Do let us know how it is working for you and if you have any doubt regarding the procedure mentioned above, feel free to comment below, we’ll be happy by helping you out.
Tip: In case if you want to restore back your previous ROM , enter into recovery mode, select Backupand Restore option & on next screen, select restore & choose your latest backup to restore.