Cyanogenmod 10 has been ported to HTC Evo 4G (Sprint) by the XDA senior member jmztaylor. Evo 4G is quiet old device but it is capable of running latest Android Jelly Bean OS. Jelly Bean includes project butter feature with which you can experience smooth interface on your Sprint HTC Evo, smarter keyboard with Google’s voice recognition helper, improved notification menu & much more. It would be a lot of fun when using update like this. Follow this tutorial for installing CM10 update on your phone..
This is earlier (alpha) stage of development of unofficial CM10 ROM therefore it is not suitable for daily use. You may try to have early preview of JB only unless you are comfortable with the it.
Disclaimer: The methods & procedures described here are risky. If you are not aware of the things discussed here, you should not attempt it. In case if any damage happened to your device while following this procedure, neither we nor developer of this ROM should be held responsible for it.
Please note that the guide mentioned here is compatible only with HTC Evo 4G (Sprint). Please dont try it on any other device (including Evo 4G LTE) or it may result in hard bricked phone.
Here is the list of working/not working functions in this ROM (Quoted on official development page) :
Broken: (In order of importance)
Essential Pre-requisites before installing a Custom ROM :
- It is highly recommended to backup all the data from phone memory (including apps, messages, contacts etc.) since at the end, you’ve to wipe all the data from phone memory.
- Ensure that you’ve charged your device upto 60 % battery level.
By assuming that you’ve followed all the steps mentioned above, you can nowsafely proceed to installation procedure of Jelly Bean 4.1 based custom ROM.
Procedure To Update HTC Evo 4G with CM10 Custom ROM :
- Before applying this firmware update, ensure that you’ve unlocked bootloader with S-OFF & installed custom recovery on your Evo 4G.
- Download latest Jelly Bean package from the official development page (Link is mentioned below).
- Latest CM10 For Evo 4G
- Download Google Apps (Gmail, Maps, GTalk, Play Store etc.) which are not present in ROM by default.
Google Apps (Jelly Bean).
- As soon as you download above files. Connect your device to PC by using the cable which you’ve got at the time of purchase. Enable mass storage mode on it. Now transfer/copy CM10 package & Google Apps to your device’s SD card. Ensure that you are not keeping it in deep directory.
- Now disconnect the phone from computer. You then need to enter into recovery mode. To do so, switch off the device, press & hold Volume Down button + Power key. You’ll be landed in bootloader mode. Now highlight recovery option using volume up/down keys & select it using power button.
Note : On next step, you have to wipe all the data & caches from your device’s phone memory & in case if you do want this ROM to run on your device its always better to keep Nandroid backup of the same. To backup your current ROM, select Backupand Restore option from the recovery mode & on next screen, select backup. Now It will backup your whole system (excluding SD card).
- After entering into recovery mode, select wipe data/factory reset & wipe cache partition to wipe all the data & caches from the phone memory.
- Select “install zip from sdcard” & then “choose zip from sdcard“. Navigate the ROM file (which you’ve transferred earlier) Select it & press on ‘Yes‘ to continue. ROM installation process will start.
- Wait for the ROM to get installed. After ROM gets successfully installed, your phone will land in the recovery mode again.
- The same procedure you have to do for installation of Google Apps. (Just don’t do the above step i.e, wiping data after installation of Gapps). After you finished installation of Gapps, press back button to go to main menu of CWM.
- Select reboot system now from the recovery mode itself to Restart the phone.
- Usually first boot of the phone takes some time after flashing of new ROM so be patient.
Congratulations !! You’ve successfully installed CM10 on your HTC Evo 4G (Sprint). Let us know your opinions about this newly installed ROM. In case if you need a help, feel free to comment it below.(and for more updates, keep checking official development page)
Tip : In case if you don’t like this ROM, enter into recovery mode, select Backupand Restore option from the recovery mode & on next screen, select restore & choose your latest backup to restore.