Android 4.1 Jelly Bean has been ported to HTC Droid Incredible. All the credits goes toXDA Senior MemberAlbinoman. Jelly Bean has many features like project butter, offline voice typing, smarter keyboard etc. when compared with previous builds of Android. You can view full list of features & changelog of JB here.
There are few things you should keep in mind. This is earlier (alpha) stage of development of JB ROM therefore it is not suitable for daily use. You may try to have preview of JB only unless you are comfortable with the it.
Disclaimer : The methods & procedures described here are risky. If you are not aware of the things discussed here, you should not attempt it. In case if any damage happened to your device while following this procedure, neither we nor developer of this ROM should be held responsible for it.
Please note that the guide mentioned here is compatible only with HTC Droid Incredible. Please dont try it on any other device or it may result in hard bricked phone.
Here is the list of working/not working functions in this ROM (Quoted on official development page) :
- Root (fixed)
- Google Now (voice search as well)
- Stock Browser (use chrome)
- Any videos
Essential Pre-requisites before installing a Custom ROM :
- It is highly recommended to backup all the data from phone memory (including apps, messages, contacts etc.) since at the end, you’ve to wipe all the data from phone memory.
- Ensure that you’ve charged your device upto 60 % battery level.
By assuming that you’ve followed all the steps mentioned above, you can nowsafely proceed to installation procedure of Jelly Bean 4.1 ROM.
Procedure To Update HTC Droid Incredible with Jelly Bean 4.1 :
For simplicity we have divided this article in 2 simple steps.
Step 1 : Installation of Clockworkmod Recovery
- To install Jelly Bean update on your device, you need to have custom recovery (clockworkmod recovery) installed on it. Follow the guide mentioned below to install clockworkmod recovery on your phone.
Clockworkmod For Droid Incredible (Guide)
Step 2 : Installation of Jelly Bean 4.1
- Download latest Jelly Bean package from the official development page (Link is mentioned below).
Latest Jelly Bean 4.1 For Droid Incredible.
- Download Google Apps (Gmail, Maps, GTalk, Play Store etc.) which are not installed in ROM by default.
Google Apps (Jelly Bean).
- As soon as you download above files. Connect your device to PC by using the cable which you’ve got at the time of purchase. Enable mass storage mode on it. Now transfer/copy JB package & Google Apps to your device’s SD card. Ensure that you are not keeping it in deep directory.
- Now disconnect the phone from computer. You then need to enter into recovery mode. To do so, switch off the device, press & hold Volume Down button + Power key. You’ll be landed in bootloader mode. Now highlight recovery option using volume up/down keys & select it using power button.
Note : On next step, you have to wipe all the data & caches from your device’s phone memory & in case if you do want this ROM to run on your device its always better to keep Nandroid backup of the same. To backup your current ROM, select Backupand Restore option from the recovery mode & on next screen, select backup. Now It will backup your whole system (excluding SD card).
- After entering into recovery mode, select wipe data/factory reset & wipe cache partition to wipe all the data & caches from the phone memory.
- Select “install zip from sdcard” & then “choose zip from sdcard“. Navigate the ROM file (which you’ve transferred earlier) Select it & press on ‘Yes‘ to continue. ROM installation process will start.
- Wait for the ROM to get installed. After ROM gets successfully installed, your phone will land in the recovery mode again.
- The same procedure you have to do for installation of Google Apps. (Just don’t do the above step i.e, wiping data after installation of Gapps). When you finished installation of Gapps, it will land in recovery mode.
- Select reboot system now from the recovery mode itself to Restart the phone.
- Usually first boot of the phone takes some time after flashing of new ROM so be patient.
Congrats !! You’ve successfully installed Jelly Bean on your HTC Droid Incredible. Let us know your opinions about this newly installed ROM. In case if you need a help, feel free to comment it below..
Tip : In case if you don’t like this ROM, enter into recovery mode, select Backupand Restore option from the recovery mode & on next screen, select restore & choose your latest backup to restore.