Like Galaxy S Series, Samsung launched its first phablet series in October 2011 with the launch of their 1st phablet Galaxy Note N7000 (Phablet is nothing but a combination of both tablet and phone). With a grand success of Note, Samsung decided to launch a tablet based on Note Series. One of which they launched back in February 2012 (called as Galaxy Note 10.1) and now, in 2013 they’ve come up with 8 inch screen Note series tab. It is the second tab in the Samsung Galaxy Note tablet range, which emphasizes the use of a stylus, officially named S-Pen (S standing for Samsung), as an input device for tasks such as sketching and note-taking.
Galaxy Note 8.0 comes with Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean on board. But now, Samsung has rolled out another Android 4.1.2 firmware update which is having a build number XXBMD1 and has lot of performance improvements and bug fixes from the previous build.
With the steps given in this article, you can manually update your Galaxy Note 8.0 tab to Android 4.1.2 XXBMD1 firmware using a tool called Odin. This firmware update can be applied on any Galaxy Note 8.0 N5100 irrespective of the region / country to which the user belongs. So, if you haven’t got a OTA notification yet, you can use this procedure and update your tab manually to Android 4.1.2 XXBMD1 firmware.
Disclaimer: The steps mentioned ahead are considered as risky and can cause damage to your tab if not followed properly. It is requested that you shouldn’t follow this guide unless you know what are you doing with your Tab. Read and follow all the steps at your own risk only. We at AndroidLegend.com won’t be responsible for any damage caused to your Tablet.
This update of Android 4.1.2 XXBMD1 firmware is released by Samsung for Galaxy Note 8.0 GT-N5100 Tablet. Flashing it on other tab / phone or on any other device can make it semi bricked (or dead too)..
- Charge your device up to 75% battery level to avoid interruptions while flashing the firmware.
- It is highly recommended to backup all your data from internal storage memory (includes contacts, messages (SMS/MMS), call logs, Internet APNs etc.). Your phone data will vanish after installation of this firmware (excluding External storage like SD card).
- Samsung device drivers must be installed on your computer in order to make the phone recognized by it (PC). You can install the same by installing Samsung Kies. To download it manually, click here. OR Download appropriate (according to Windows, you’re running) device drivers directly from below mentioned links:
- Windows 32 bit x86 drivers
- Windows 64 bit x64 drivers
- Turn off Windows firewall or any other Security software installed in the computer.
Procedure to Upgrade Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 N5100 to XXBMD1 Jelly Bean Firmware (Android 4.1.2):
- Download Odin Multi Downloader v3.07 (Samsung’s Official firmware flashing tool) & Jelly Bean 4.1.2 Package from the links mentioned below :
- Odin Multi Downloader v3.07
- Download Android 4.1.2 XXBMD1 for Galaxy Note 8.0 N5100
- Extract firmware package (.zip file) to any convenient location on your PC. You’ll find a file with .tar.md5 extension.
- Now, turn off the tab completely. Enter into download mode. For doing the same, press & hold Volume down + Home button (Middle one). While holding both buttons, simply press Power key till you see the warning message appeared on your tab screen. Press Volume up to continue. Finally you’ll see the construction Android robot & a yellow triangle, that means your device has entered in download mode.
- Open Odin Multi Downloader tool on your Computer which you’ve just downloaded & connect the tab using USB cable.
- If your tab is connected successfully, youll see that the ID:COM section (located at top left) is turned blue with a random COM port number appeared below it (If your ID:COM box doesnt turn out to be blue, don’t worry. Just install Samsung drivers using the link mentioned in Pre-requisites).
- In Odin, select PDA tab & choose “N5100XXBMD1_N5100OXABMC8_N5100XXBMC8_HOME.tar.md5″ file. Keep all the remaining options as they are & make sure that Re-Partition box is not ticked.
- Finally hit Start button to initiate the flashing process of Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean firmware on your Galaxy Note 8.0 N5100. Wait till Odin finishes its task. When flashing process gets done, Odin will display the ‘Pass’ message above ID:COM (with the Green background color) & device will restart automatically.
- Unplug the device from Computer.
- Now you will need to factory reset the phone in order to avoid boot loops & malfunctioning of the tab (like FCs and all).
- To factory reset, youll have to boot in the recovery mode. The same can be achieved by following some simple steps.
- Switch off the tab (you can do this either by removing battery or pressing power button).
- Press & hold Volume up + Home button together & then press Power key. You can release Power button as soon as Samsung logo appears.
- Your device is now booted into recovery mode.
- Since touch wont work in recovery, use Volume up/down & power key only for navigation & selection respectively.
- Now highlight Wipe data/factory reset by using Volume buttons & select it using power key. The same you have to do with Wipe Cache.
- After getting done with all these things, select reboot system now option to restart the tab.
- You may see that the tab is taking a too long time to boot than usual but dont worry it’s normal & this is for the first time only.
That’s it! You’ve successfully flashed Android 4.1.2 XXBMD1 Jelly Bean Firmware on your Galaxy Note 8.0 N5100. Report us how it is working for you. Feel free to ask any doubt in comment section below, we will try our best to answer you as quick as possible.
To thank us, like our Facebook page & Follow us on Google+. You will be notified about future updates for your Galaxy Note 8.0 GT-N5100. Enjoy..