AT&T Samsung Captivate SGH-i897, one of the legendary phone has got another Jelly Bean update via custom ROM called Salty Bean ROM. All the credits goes to XDA Senior Member dave71670 for bringing out this ROM.
Salty Bean is based on AOKP which is known for its highly customizable features & fast performance. Also it includes a new themed interface, reduced bloatwares and some advanced tweaks for performance, better memory & battery usage and faster boot times etc. along with a custom kernel.
Keep in mind that this is not an official firmware update. It is a custom ROM which isn’t fully developed yet and therefore due to minor bugs & issues, some features may not work properly. Below is a list of know issues quoted on official development page.
-Ext sd does not mount to pc(use mtp mounting in recovery/devil)
-Cpu voltage sliders binding in performance. (Do not use)
-Same bugs as AOKP JB
Read on further to know how you can install Salty Bean ROM on your AT&T Samsung Captivate SGH-i897..
Disclaimer : The steps given in this article are considered to be risky & can cause damage to your device. You should not try to attempt these things if you are unaware of it. Please follow this guide completely at your own risk. If any damage happened to your device while following this guide, neither we nor developer should be held responsible for the same.
This guide is applicable only for AT&T Samsung Captivate having model number SGH-i897. Trying on other variants of Samsung Galaxy S or on any other device, can cause damage to your phone.
Procedure to Update AT&T Samsung Captivate SGH-i897 with Salty Bean Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean Custom ROM:
- It is better to back up your all important data from the phone memory such as contacts, SMS/MMS, call log etc. since all these things will get erase during the installation.
(Important) For flashing this ROM, your phone must have Clockworkmod recovery installed on it.
- Google Apps (Gmail, Maps, GTalk, Play Store etc.) are not pre-installed in this ROM. You have to download & flash it manually. Download Salty Bean Addons/GApps from the link given below.
- Salty Bean Addons
- After downloading ROM package & Salty Bean addons, connect your phone to the PC. Enable mass storage mode to access SD card data. Transfer both the files on it.
- Disconnect the phone from computer. Now boot into the recovery mode. For doing the same, switch off the phone completely (until it vibrates). Press & hold Volume Up + Volume Down + Power Key together until recovery mode appears (you can release power button after Samsung logo appears but keep holding other two until recovery mode shows up).
- After getting into the recovery mode, take a nandroid backup of your current ROM so that it can be restored back in case if anything goes wrong. To backup your current ROM, select Backup and Restore option from the recovery menu & on next screen, select backup. Now It will make a nandroid backup of your whole system (excluding SD card).
- Select wipe data/factory reset & wipe cache partition to wipe all the data & caches from the phone memory respectively.
- Now Select “install zip from sdcard” & then “choose zip from sdcard“. Select the ROM file from the location where you’ve transferred it earlier & press on Yes to confirm the installation.
Tip: The phone might reboot into recovery while installing the ROM. If that happens, repeat above step & install the ROM again.
- After ROM gets successfully installed, your phone will land in the recovery mode.
- Again select “install zip from sdcard” followed by “choose zip from sdcard” & this time navigate toSalty_Bean_Addons_20120908.zip file. Press on Yes to install Salty bean addons/Google Apps.
- After you finish flashing both the files, Select reboot system now to Restart the phone.
Note: If you want to restore your previous ROM, you can do this by entering into the recovery mode. In recovery, select Backup and Restore option & on next screen, select restore. Now choose the backup you would like to restore.
That’s it ! Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean based Salty Bean custom ROM is now up & running on your AT&T Samsung Captivate SGH-i897. For more information & further updates, keep checking official development page. If you have any question, comment it below, we will try our best to sort out it.