Recently, Samsung launched their new flagship device Galaxy S4. They’ve made it available in two variants. One is international variant with Exynos 5 octa chip & other is Snapdragon variant. As Exynos chip doesn’t support LTE connectivity, Samsung used Snapdragon 600 chips for LTE variant of Galaxy S4.
Developers were desperately waiting for Galaxy S4 to get released, so that they can mod its OS. But sadly one of the famous custom ROM maker Cyanogenmod won’t be going to release CM for international variant of Galaxy S4 i.e, S4 with model number GT-I9500. This is because- While making a custom ROM, one needs to rely on sources. As Samsung doesn’t provide kernel related sources of Galaxy lineup (mostly kernel sources), it becomes difficult for developers to tweak the original OS and that’s why CM has dropped out Galaxy S4 I9500.
But there is a good news for LTE variant of Galaxy S4. Since LTE variant uses Snapdragon chip, it is easier for CM to make custom ROM for this device and eventually they’ve compiled it for the same. Cyanogenmod 10.1 is now available for AT&T Galaxy S4 I337. Soon it will available for other Snapdragon variants too. So stay tune for them.
For time being, let’s checkout the procedure required to update AT&T Galaxy S4 I337 to Android 4.2.2 via CM 10.1 Custom ROM.
Disclaimer : Steps given in this article are considered as risky & can cause damage to your phone. You should not try to attempt these things if you aren’t aware of it. Please follow this guide completely at your own risk. If any damage caused to your device while following this tutorial, we should not be held responsible for it.
This tutorial is intended only for AT&T Galaxy S4 having model number SGH-i337. Dont try to implement it on any other device else it may turn your device in semi bricked state (or even hard brick may cause).
- Charge your device up to 75% battery level so that you can flash ROM without any interruption.
- Your phone data will get lost after installation of this ROM (excluding External storage like SD card). Therefore, it is highly recommended to backup all your data from internal storage (includes contacts, messages (SMS/MMS), call logs, Internet APNs etc.).
- Enable / Tick ‘USB Debugging’ option in your phone.
- It is necessary to have Custom Recovery like Clockworkmod / TWRP installed in your phone for flashing CM10.1 Custom ROM.
Note: You can’t proceed to ROM installation unless you’ve CWM recovery installed in your Galaxy S4 i337.
Procedure to Upgrade AT&T Galaxy S4 SGH-i337 to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean (via Cyanogenmod 10.1):
- Firstly, download Cyanogenmod 10.1 package from Cyanogenmod’s Official Download Page (link is given below).
- AT&T Galaxy S4 i337 Cyanogenmod 10.1 Package
Tip: Download the ROM given in 1st link (Most recent update)
- (Optional) Also download GApps that contains Google apps like Gmail, GTalk, Play store, Google+ etc. Since Cyanogenmod doesn’t include Google apps, you need to flash it separately.
- GApps for Android 4.2.2 (Cyanogenmod 10.1)
- After downloading CM10.1 ROM package & Google Apps, connect your phone to the PC. Enable mass storage mode on it to access internal storage & transfer both files on its root directory (or anywhere you want. We have mentioned ‘root directory‘ because it is convenient to access).
- Disconnect the phone from PC. Now boot into Clockworkmod recovery. To do so, switch off the phone completely. Now press & hold Volume Up + Volume Down + Power Key together until recovery mode shows up.
Note: Stock Recovery won’t work for flashing custom ROMs. Once again, read the last point given in pre-requisites.
- After getting into the recovery, make a nandroid backup of your current ROM so that the same can be restored back in case of failure. To do so, Highlight backup and restore option from the main menu of recovery, select it & then choose backup option to start the backup process.
- Select wipe data/factory reset & subsequently wipe cache partition to wipe the data & caches respectively from the phone memory. (Caution! performing this step will erase all the data from phone (ROM memory), which includes SMS / MMS, contacts, reminders, APNs, call logs, apps etc. therefore ensure that youve taken backup of all these things before).
- Now select install zip from sdcard & then on next screen select, choose zip from sdcard. It will show you all the files & folders located on internal storage of your device. Navigate to the ROM file (which you’ve copied earlier from Computer), select it using power button (unless youre using touch CWM) & confirm the installation by pressing on Yes. This should start installing the ROM.
- Again select install zip from sdcard followed by choose zip from sdcard & this time browse for Google apps package file (gapps-jb-20130301-signed.zip). Press on Yes to install confirm Google Apps installation.
- After you finish flashing both files, Select “reboot system now” to Restart the phone.
Voila You’ve done it! Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean is now up and running on your AT&T Galaxy S4 i337 via Cyanogenmod 10.1. If you’ve any queries or need help regarding the procedure mentioned above, feel free to ask us in comments below & we’ll help you to solve your issue as soon as possible. Enjoy..
Tip: If you don’t want CM10.1 ROM anymore then you always have an option to restore your previous ROM. This can be done by using CMW’s backup & restore feature. To restore the previous ROM, boot into the recovery mode, select Backup and Restore option & on next screen, select restore. Now choose the backup you like to restore (or restore the backup you’ve made before flashing this ROM).