Customer support is one of the important thing for smartphone selling companies. And Samsung is very good at this. In this field support means providing latest updates. They try provide the updates to many of their devices. But sometimes the updates come a bit late. Because of this late in rolling out updates recently Samsung cancelled the Android 4.2.2 update for many of their devices including Galaxy S3, Note 2 etc. and decided to give them direct Android 4.3 update.
Galaxy S4, Note 2 have already received the update. And soon Samsung will roll out the update for Galaxy S3. But before that, XDA member designgears has come out with a leaked update.
Here are the features and changes that you will notice after installing this leaked official firmware:
- Galaxy Gear support
- New Reading Mode in Display settings and Notification toggles
- Driving Mode now becomes Hands-free Mode
- Improvement in Camera performance and imaging
- New tabbed UI in Settings
- TouchWiz launcher now has less lag and feels much faster
- Samsung Wallet comes pre-installed
- Improved Keyboard
- OpenGL 3.0 Support
- ANT+ Support
- TRIM Support
- Better RAM management
You can update your Galaxy S3 to latest Official Android 4.3 firmware manually by following a simple procedure given below in this article.
Procedure mentioned in the following article is considered to be risky and may cause damage to your device. We strongly recommend that you read the complete article first before executing them on your phone and be careful while doing them. We are not responsible for any damage caused to your device.
This procedure is strictly applicable for AT&T Galaxy S3 having model number SGH-i747. Don’t try to flash it on any other mobile or variant otherwise permanent damage might be caused.
Please confirm your device’s model number before you proceed further. You can check it by following this path on your phone: Home Screen –> Menu –> Settings –> About device.
- Charge your phone up to at least 75% so that the procedure of installation of firmware will be uninterrupted.
- Enable USB Debugging mode.
- For improving your battery life, follow this guide:
- How to Improve Battery Life of an Android Device (Tips).
- As all the data on the mobile gets wiped during installation of this firmware, you should take a backup of all your personal important data like SMS, MMS, APN, contacts etc. to the external memory. Just follow guides given below to do a complete backup.
- How to Backup Call logs, APNs and EFS folder from your Android Device.
- How to Backup Android Contacts and Text Messages (SMS / MMS).
- You must have clockworkmod recovery installed on your phone since firmware file is flashable through recovery.
- You must have mobile drivers installed on your computer. If you don’t have them download them from here to install them.
- XDA member loserskater has packed official firmware in a zip file. Here is the link given below. Download the file from the link given below.
- Click Here to Download
- Also you have to download bootloader file. Here is the link to download the file.
- Click here to Download
- Once you finish downloading above files, connect your phone to Computer or laptop using USB cable.
- Now in your phone select USB storage on your phoen. And copy the two downloaded files on SD card of your phone. Now you are ready to go.
- Once this is done switch off your device completely. Now you need to enter into the recovery mode which can be entered by holding Home Button (middle button) + Volume Up + Power Button simultaneously until the recovery mode appears. (In Recovery mode use Volume Up and Down key for Navigation and Home Button for Selection).
- Once you enter in the recovery mode, first thing you should do is that make a backup of your current ROM or firmware. So that if anything goes wrong in between, you always have option to revert back to your previous ROM or firmware. Our guide below will help you out with the nanroid backup procedure.
- How to Backup whole ROM/Firmware via Clockworkmod (CWM) recovery.
- After taking the nandroid backup navigate to the ‘install zip from SD card’ located on recovery mode & then ‘choose zip from SD card’. Once you click on it, all your folders and files present on SD card will be seen. Now navigate to firmware file which you have copied earlier & simply select it. Confirm the installation by pressing ‘Yes’. The installation process will begin now.
- Installation process will complete in just a few minutes. Now as soon as the firmware gets flashed, select ‘wipe data/factory reset’ followed by ‘wipe cache partition’ on the recovery mode itself. This will wipe all the data & caches from the phone memory respectively.
- Then again follow the same procedure for flashing the bootloader file.
- Once everything mentioned above is done, restart your device by pressing ‘reboot system now’ from the Recovery mode. You will see a usual boot animation of Samsung. Note that the first boot always takes a minute but after that it can restart smoothly.
Great Job!! You have successfully updated Samsung Galaxy S3 to Official Android 4.3 Firmware. Now you can enjoy all the latest features of this 4.3 update. Report your valuable views about update and this article through comments.
Tip: If you don’t like this firmware or you are not comfortable with this, you can easily return back to the previous ROM or firmware just by entering into the recovery mode. Then select backup & restore option followed by restore & chose your latest backup to restore.