In many countries carrier companies release network locked versions of flagship devices of many leading phone companies in reasonable price. No doubt that this is their marketing strategy. Generally these network locked phones have slightly different specifications than international variants.
Seeing the great features and success of Note on 19 February 2012 LTE variant was released in US having model number SGH-i717. It is also referred as Galaxy Note LTE. In addition to LTE connectivity, Samsung made several modifications to the phone. Externally, the physical “home” button and the two touch-sensitive buttons on the front of the phone were replaced by four touch-sensitive buttons.
Now after a long wait this device has got official Jelly Bean update which is full of new features. Features are listed below.
Some of the Enhancements in the new Jelly Bean Update:
– Buttery Smooth Performance & Great Stability (Project Butter)
– Multi Windows Multitasking, same as in Note II
– Page Buddy
– Notification Panel can now be customized
– New Additions in Notification Panel
– Smart Rotation (Screen Display adjusts to your angle of sightings)
– Continues Input in Samsung Keyboard (Like Swipe or Android 4.2 Keyboard)
– Direct Call, Smart Stay and Pop-up Play
– All New Widgets From the Galaxy S III
– Two Homescreen modes
– New Notifications bar
– Google Now
Below in this article you will read about how to manually update AT&T Galaxy Note to Official Jelly Bean firmware.
Disclaimer:The article which you are going to read below is considered as risky and can cause damage to your device. Read the article completely and follow all the steps at your own risk. Do not go for it if you are not aware of all these things. For any damage cause to your device due to this method, we or developer cannot be taken guilty or responsible.
This guide is applicable only for AT&T Galaxy Note having model number SGH-i717. Trying it on other variants of Note or on any other device, can cause damage to your Phone.
Before proceeding for main procedure these are some steps which you have to follow.
- In order to have smooth uninterrupted process you have to charge the battery of your device at least up to 70%.
- In this process if anything goes wrong then there is possibility that you may loose your personal data like SMS/MMS, Contacts, APN settings etc. So better you take backup of all these from backup software.
- You are required to use USB debugging mode on your Phone, to do so device specific drivers must be installed on your computer. Drivers can be installed along with Samsung Kies software. Here is the link to download and install it manually.
Procedure to Upgrade AT&T Galaxy Note with Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean UCMD3 Firmware:
- Links to download flashing program (Odin Multi Downloader v3.07) & Jelly Bean 4.1.2 Package are given below:
- Odin Multi Downloader v3.07
- Android 4.1.2 UCMD3 for AT&T Galaxy Note (Mirror #1) (Mirror #2)
- Once you have downloaded both the files on your PC, extract Jelly Bean 4.1.2 Package. After extraction is finished you’ll find a file having extension .tar or .tar.md5. You will need this file in further process. You are going to flash this file on your phone via Odin.
- Now turn off your Device. In Samsung phones, to manually flash the official firmwares they have provided a downloading mode. So you have to enter downloading mode first. To do so Press and Hold Power Key + Home Key+ Volume Down Button simultaneously until device is in downloading mode.
- Once you are in the downloading mode, you’ll see “Downloading..” text in yellow. Connect your device to PC via USB cable keeping your device in downloading mode.
- Open Odin Multi Downloader software which you’ve just downloaded along with JB firmware. If your device is properly connected then you’ll see that the ID:COM section has been turned blue. If not check that you have installed device specific drivers properly or install Kies.
- In Odin software, select PDA tab & choose the firmware file which you have extracted from downloaded zip file.
- Essential!! Don’t make any other changes in Odin software except for selecting the required file as given in above step. Keep all other options as they are. And do not check Re-partition box even by mistake.
- You are done, Now simply press Start button to begin the flashing process. It will not take more than 6-7 Minutes to finish with the flashing procedure.
- Once installing procedure in Odin is finished, ID:COM section will turn Green & will show Pass in the box above ID:COM section.
- Essential!! If Odin gets stuck at any step after you hit the start button and seems to be not responding or if you get FAIL message in Odin after completion of process this is what you have to do. Disconnect your device from computer and close the Odin. Remove the battery of your phablet and re-insert it. Then again go to downloading mode and repeat the procedure.
- Detach your Note from PC.
- Procedure isn’t complete yet.Turn your device off again. Now you need to enter into Recovery mode. The same can be entered by Holding Volume Up + Volume Down+ Power Button simultaneously. Use Volume Up/Down keys to navigate options in recovery & Power button to select them.
- To avoid your device from going into boot loop, in the Recovery mode, select wipe data/factory reset & wipe cache partition.
- After wiping data, select reboot system now to Restart the phone. Usually first boot take some time after flashing firmware so be patient. As soon as device gets rebooted successfully, you’ll land in All new Home Screen.
You have done it!! You have successfully updated your AT&T Galaxy Note to official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean firmware. Report us how it is working for you. If you have got any difficulties, ask it in the comments below. We will definitely try to solve it.