Galaxy Note is the Samsung’s first device in the phablet series. Initially it was launched with Gingerbread OS, subsequently upgraded ICS and then to Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. As per the Samsung’s recent statement, they are going to roll out Android 4.2.2 upgrade for many devices including Galaxy Note. But wait, I haven’t completed my statement yet. Now the remaining statement is-they are dropping out software update support for many devices after this upgrade & the list includes Galaxy Note too. It is quoted for international variant only but you might be aware of the thing that Samsung first pushes upgrades & updates to international variant of Galaxy Note N7000. And then further, they are made available for US variants like AT&T, T-Mobile etc. This is a really bad news for all Galaxy Note owners living across the world.
Well, this is what Samsung always does with it’s old devices. So, don’t get upset, instead enter into the world of Custom ROMs where you can get all the latest updates of Android OS (in it’s pure form, called as AOSP) along with variety of customization.
Cyanogenmod is one of the famous ROM that offers latest Android OS straight from Google itself. So, for future Android versions, don’t rely on Samsung anymore. You’ve just got the another way out.
CM10.1 is a latest version of Cyanogenmod which is based on Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean OS. Along with pure Android, it also offers it’s own customization panel called as “system” (located in Settings). Follow the step by step instructions which we’ve mentioned below & start updating your AT&T Galaxy Note i717 to Android 4.2.2 right now (via Cyanognmod 10.1 of course).
Disclaimer: The tutorial given below is considered as risky and may cause damage to phone if it is not followed properly. You should not try to attempt these things if you are unaware of it. Follow all the steps completely at your own risk. We or Cyanogen team are not responsible for any damage cause to your device after implementing these steps.
This tutorial is meant only for AT&T Galaxy Note having model number SGH-i717. Dont try to implement it on Galaxy Note N7000 or on any other device else it may turn in hardware failure of your device.
- Charge your device up to 75% battery level so that you can flash ROM without any interruption.
- Your phone data will get lost after installation of this ROM (excluding External storage like SD card). Therefore, it is highly recommended to backup all your data from internal storage (includes contacts, messages (SMS/MMS), call logs, Internet APNs etc.).
- Enable / Tick ‘USB Debugging’ option in your phone.
- It is necessary to have Custom Recovery like Clockworkmod / TWRP installed in your phone for flashing CM10.1 Custom ROM. If you haven’t installed it yet, you can follow this guide for doing the same.
Note: You can’t proceed to ROM installation unless you’ve CWM / TWRP / or any other recovery installed in your Galaxy Note i717.
Procedure to Upgrade AT&T Galaxy Note SGH-i717 to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean (via Cyanogenmod 10.1):
- At first, download Cyanogenmod 10.1 package from Cyanogenmod’s Official Download Page (link is given below).
- AT&T Galaxy Note SGH-i717 Cyanogenmod 10.1 Package
Tip: Download latest CM package from the Official CM download page (the 1st one) OR download stable build. Prefer stable build over latest nightly (only if available).
- (Optional) Also download GApps that contains Google apps like Gmail, GTalk, Play store, Google+ etc. Since Cyanogenmod doesn’t include Google apps, you need to flash it separately.
- GApps for Android 4.2.2 (Cyanogenmod 10.1)
- After downloading CM10.1 ROM package & Google Apps, connect your phone to the PC. Enable mass storage mode on it to access internal storage & transfer both files on its root directory (or anywhere you want. We have mentioned ‘root directory’ because it is convenient to access).
- Disconnect the phone from PC. Now boot into Clockworkmod recovery. For doing that, switch off the phone completely. Now press & hold Volume Up + Volume Down Button + Power Key together until recovery mode shows up.
- After getting into the recovery, make a nandroid backup of your current ROM so that the same can be restored back in case of failure. To do so, Highlight backup and restore option from the main menu of recovery, select it & then choose backup option to start the backup process.
- Select wipe data/factory reset & subsequently wipe cache partition to wipe the data & caches respectively from the phone memory. (Caution! performing this step will erase all the data from phone (ROM memory), which includes SMS / MMS, contacts, reminders, APNs, call logs, apps etc. therefore ensure that youve taken backup of all these things before).
- Now select install zip from sdcard & then on next screen select, choose zip from sdcard. It will show you all the files & folders located on internal storage of your device. Navigate to the ROM file (which you’ve copied earlier from Computer), select it using power button (unless youre using touch CWM) & confirm the installation by pressing on Yes. This should start installing the ROM.
- Again select install zip from sdcard followed by choose zip from sdcard & this time browse for Google apps package file (gapps-jb-20121212-signed.zip). Press on Yes to install confirm Google Apps installation.
- After you finish flashing both files, Select “reboot system now” to Restart the phone.
Voila! You’ve successfully updated your AT&T Galaxy Note i717 to Android 4.2.2 via CM10.1 Custom ROM. If you’ve any queries or need help regarding the procedure mentioned above, feel free to ask it in comments below & we’ll help you to solve your issue as soon as possible. Enjoy..
Tip: If you don’t like this ROM (I know you’ll like it but still…), you always have an option to restore your previous ROM. This can be done by using CMW’s restore feature. To restore the previous ROM, boot into the recovery mode, select Backup and Restore option & on next screen, select restore. Now choose the backup you like to restore (or restore the backup you’ve made before flashing this ROM).