Every time Samsung launches new smartphone, it has some different special features. Recently, Samsung launched their new flagship device Galaxy S4 with so many new specifications and features. Like Samsung introduced Octa-core processor in this device and there is much more. And one more thing that Samsung brings with new device is updated version of Android OS. With the launch of Galaxy S4, Samsung brought Android 4.2.2. Similarly, when Galaxy Note 2 was launched, it came with Android 4.1 Jelly Bean on board (no doubt that it was a revolutionary upgrade from Samsung).
But since, Galaxy S4 is just launched, Samsung won’t be releasing Android 4.2.2 update at least up to 1 month or 2. But don’t wait for Samsung & AT&T to provide Android 4.2.2. Cyanogenmod 10.1 is already there to serve this purpose. CM10.1 is a custom ROM that offers you the aftermarket firmware straight from Google. CM10.1 is based on AOSP (Android Open Source Project) and hence you can get pure Android experience on your phone (without any manufacture and carrier bloatwares). More over it is much faster than the stock firmware and has many customizations options that you would like to have.
So, in the following article, we’ll be checking on how to update your AT&T Galaxy Note 2 i317 to Android 4.2.2 via Cyanogenmod 10.1 Custom ROM.
Disclaimer : Steps given in this article are considered as risky & can cause damage to your phone. You should not try to attempt these things if you aren’t aware of it. Please follow this guide completely at your own risk. If any damage caused to your device while following this tutorial, we should not be held responsible for it.
This tutorial is intended only for AT&T Galaxy Note 2 having model number SGH-i317. Dont try to implement it on any other device else it may turn your device in semi bricked state (or even hard brick may cause).
- Charge your device up to 75% battery level so that you can flash ROM without any interruption.
- Your phone data will get lost after installation of this ROM (excluding External storage like SD card). Therefore, it is highly recommended to backup all your data from internal storage (includes contacts, messages (SMS/MMS), call logs, Internet APNs etc.).
- Enable / Tick ‘USB Debugging’ option in your phone.
- It is necessary to have Custom Recovery like Clockworkmod / TWRP installed in your phone for flashing CM10.1 Custom ROM.
Note: You can’t proceed to ROM installation unless you’ve CWM recovery installed in your Galaxy Note 2 i317.
Procedure to Upgrade AT&T Galaxy Note 2 SGH-i317 to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean (via Cyanogenmod 10.1):
- Firstly, download Cyanogenmod 10.1 package from Cyanogenmod’s Official Download Page (link is given below).
- AT&T Galaxy Note 2 i317 Cyanogenmod 10.1 Package
Tip: Download the ROM given in 1st link (Most recent update)
- (Optional) Also download GApps that contains Google apps like Gmail, GTalk, Play store, Google+ etc. Since Cyanogenmod doesn’t include Google apps, you need to flash it separately.
- GApps for Android 4.2.2 (Cyanogenmod 10.1)
- After downloading CM10.1 ROM package & Google Apps, connect your phablet to the PC. Enable mass storage mode on it to access internal storage & transfer both files on its root directory (or anywhere you want. We have mentioned ‘root directory‘ because it is convenient to access).
- Disconnect the phone from PC. Now boot into Clockworkmod recovery. To do so, switch off the phone completely. Now press & hold Volume Up + Volume Down + Power Key together until recovery mode shows up.
Note: Stock Recovery won’t work for flashing custom ROMs. Once again, read the last point given in pre-requisites.
- After getting into the recovery, make a nandroid backup of your current ROM so that the same can be restored back in case of failure. To do so, Highlight backup and restore option from the main menu of recovery, select it & then choose backup option to start the backup process.
- Select wipe data/factory reset & subsequently wipe cache partition to wipe the data & caches respectively from the phone memory. (Caution! performing this step will erase all the data from phone (ROM memory), which includes SMS / MMS, contacts, reminders, APNs, call logs, apps etc. therefore ensure that youve taken backup of all these things before).
- Now select install zip from sdcard & then on next screen select, choose zip from sdcard. It will show you all the files & folders located on internal storage of your device. Navigate to the ROM file (which you’ve copied earlier from Computer), select it using power button (unless youre using touch CWM) & confirm the installation by pressing on Yes. This should start installing the ROM.
- Again select install zip from sdcard followed by choose zip from sdcard & this time browse for Google apps package file (gapps-jb-20130301-signed.zip). Press on Yes to install confirm Google Apps installation.
- After you finish flashing both files, Select “reboot system now” to Restart the phone.
Whoa You’ve done it! Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean is now up and running on your AT&T Galaxy Note 2 i317 via Cyanogenmod 10.1. If you’ve any queries or need help regarding the procedure mentioned above, feel free to ask us in comments below & we’ll help you to solve your issue as soon as possible. Enjoy..
Tip: If you don’t want CM10.1 ROM anymore then you always have an option to restore your previous ROM. This can be done by using CMW’s backup & restore feature. To restore the previous ROM, boot into the recovery mode, select Backup and Restore option & on next screen, select restore. Now choose the backup you like to restore (or restore the backup you’ve made before flashing this ROM).