Almost each and every Android smartphone / tablet has got Android 4.2 Jelly Bean love with the help of Custom ROM like Cyanogenmod. Whenever Google released new Android OS, Cyanogenmod updated their sources too. For previous version of Android i.e, Android 4.1 Jelly Bean, Cyanogenmod 10 was serving the purpose. Now Android 4.2 is arrived & to serve the purpose again, Cyanogenmod team has quickly released their next build based on Android 4.2 & which has been named as Cyanogenmod 10.1 (in short CM10.1). As of now, CM 10.1 is available for few devices only. And most of them are high end devices. Now how come Iconia tab A700 from Acer would remain behind in the race of devices that are getting Android 4.2 via goodness of CM 10.1.
You got it right! Cyanogenmod 10.1 is now available for Acer Iconia Tab A700 officially. Currently the build is in nightly phase. This means that soon it will get converted into a stable release. But this doesn’t assure you proper working of ROM in nightly builds due to some bugs & issues. Of course those will get fixed in further updates as developers are trying their best to make a stable build.
At least you should try Android 4.2. Not for permanent usage but just for fun. Follow the simplest guide given below to installAndroid 4.2 on your Acer Iconia Tab A700 within few minutes.
Disclaimer: The following article is considered as risky and can cause damage to your device. Do not follow this article if you are not aware of all these things. Read the article completely and follow all the steps at your own risk. If any damage caused to your device due to this process, we or CM team can’t be taken guilty or responsible.
The given tutorial is applicable only on Acer Iconia A700 Tab. Dont implement it to any other tab / phone else you may get unwanted result or permanent damage might cause to your tab / phone.
- Ensure that you have charged your tab at least up to 70% so that installation process wont get interrupted due to lack of battery power.
- It is highly recommended to take a backup of all important data like SMS/MMS, APN, contacts etc. since it can be restored back if anything goes wrong during the installation.
- Your device must have unlocked bootloader.
- In order to flash this ROM, you need to have custom recovery installed on your Acer Iconia Tab A700. Download Acer Recovery Installer from Play Store & install it on your device.
Procedure to Update Acer Iconia Tab A700 to Android 4.2.1 with Official CM10.1:
- Download Google Apps (Gmail, Maps, GTalk, Play Store etc.) from the link given below.
Google Apps. | Filename: gapps-jb-20121212-signed.zip (89.98 MB)
- After downloading ROM package & GApps, connect your tab to PC. Enable mass storage mode on it. Now copy both files to your tab’s internal memory.
- Disconnect it from computer. Boot in recovery mode on your tab. To do so, switch off the device completely. Press & hold Volume Up + Power Key together until recovery mode appears.
- As soon as you enter into recovery, make a nandroid backup of your current ROM so that it can be restored back in case of failure. To do so, Highlight backup and restore option in the recovery menu, select it & then choose backup to start the backup process.
- Select wipe data/factory reset & wipe cache partition to wipe all the data & caches from internal memory.
- Now Select “install zip from sdcard” followed by “choose zip from sdcard“. Select the ROM file from the location where you’ve transferred it earlier & select Yes to flash the ROM.
- Wait for the ROM to get installed.
- Once ROM installation is finished follow the same procedure for flashing Google Apps (gapps-jb-20121212-signed.zip).
- From the main menu of CWM recovery, select reboot system now to Restart the Tablet.
Congratulations ! You’ve successfully updated your Acer Iconia Tab A700 to latest Android 4.2 Jelly bean via Cyanogenmod 10.1 Custom ROM. Do let us know, how it is working for you. And in case if you got any problem while updating your tab, feel free to comment below, we’ll try our best to sort out the same.