If you are thinking that your device is getting each & every Android update from Google then why should I unlock the bootloader of my Galaxy Nexus ? Well the answer is here. Though Google is rolling out new firmware updates for their nexus devices, with unlocked bootloader you can install custom ROMs, recoveries & hacks made for your device. Then the question arises that why should I install custom ROMs & hacks ? Well the answer is simple, Custom ROMs are made to increase performance, improve interface etc. than the stock ROM. Sounds interesting ? But before installing Custom ROMs, one need to have unlock bootloader of the device & hence we are here again to guide you on the same..
One thing you should always keep in mind, once you unlock the bootloader of your Galaxy Nexus, its warranty will get void (not forever since it can be retained by relocking the same).
Disclaimer : The Procedure described in this article are risky & can cause damage to your device. You should not try to attempt this if you are not aware of these things. Please follow this guide completely at your own risk. If any damage happened to your device while following this tutorial, we should not be held responsible for it.
Procedure to Unlock Bootloader of Samsung Galaxy Nexus I9250 :
- Firstly you need to download these two files which are mentioned below:
- Google USB Driver
Fastboot Files | 404.46 KB
- Install the Google USB Driver on your PC (It will automatically install all essential drivers for your device).
- Extract Fastboot.zip file in your PC. You will find following four files in your extracted folder.
- Now switch off your phone to boot into fastboot mode. To do so, hold Volume Down + Volume Up + Power Button simultaneously until fastboot mode appears.
- After getting into fastboot mode, you’ll see the Android robot & ‘FASTBOOT MODE’ written beneath it.
- After entering into the Fastboot mode, Connect your phone to the PC.
- Open the ‘Fastboot‘ folder (Which you’ve extracted earlier).
- Now Open command prompt & Point its directory to the fastboot folder (OR You can do the same as: open Fastboot folder, Press & hold shift key and then right click on the free space in the same folder.When right clicked (holding shift), you’ll see ‘Open Command window here‘ option.Click it & Command prompt will be open pointing to the Fastboot directory).
- Put this command in command prompt :fastboot devices (After entering this command, you’ll see the random numbers appeared in the command prompt.This is to ensure that your device is properly connected).
- Don’t Close the command prompt yet, We will need it in further steps.
- Now type the following command in command prompt :
fastboot oem unlock
- Now on your phone, you will receive an Unlock bootlader request. Use Volume Up button to highlight ‘Yes‘ and Power button to Confirm & Continue.
Congratulations ! You’ve successfully unlocked your device’s bootloader. You are now free to root, install custom recoveries & ROMs on the same. In case if you face any difficulty while unlocking bootloader, comment it below. We will try our best to sort out the same..
(You may refer to this video to unlock bootloader of Galaxy Nexus)