Google launched Nexus S back in 2010 in collaboration with HTC. The device came with on board Gingerbread. But no doubt that being a Nexus device it is updated to latest Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean by Google themselves.
Now if you are bored of stock official firmwares and you want to experience something new. Here lies the advantage of Android operating system over the other ones. There are several custom ROMs and other hacks available for your device. But here is the thing, there is a tool called custom recovery which allows you to flash custom ROMs and other hacks on your device. So before flashing ROMs you have to go for custom recovery.
Clockworkmod Recovery has been the most popular custom Recovery. Its stem originates from time when you have to use hardware buttons to navigate in custom Recovery. Recently an all new recovery called TWRP Recovery is released by TeamWin. It has turns out a massive hit with its unique features like impressive touch-based GUI, fast backups, inbuilt file manager, themes support, and more which are not found in conventional CWM Recovery. And no doubt that all the features like flashing files and backup and restore ROMs are there. Nexus S users now can enjoy all this features.
Following article deals with how to install TWRP Recovery on Google Nexus S.
Disclaimer:The steps mentioned in given tutorial are considered as risky and may cause damage to your device. It is recommended that you should not follow these steps if you are not aware of all these things. Read the article at your own risk. We or developers are not responsible for any damage caused to your mobile after attempting these steps.
This tutorial is applicable only toGoogle Nexus Shaving model numberGT-I9020. Implementing this tutorial for some other mobile or variant might give you some unexpected results.
- Charge your mobile at least up to70%so that there will not be any interruption due to low battery.
- EnableUSB Debuggingoption in your phone.
- As all the data on the mobile gets wiped during installation of ROM, you should take a backup of all your personal important data like SMS, MMS, APN, contacts etc. to the external memory.
- You must haveunlocked bootloader of your device. Here is guide for unlocking bootloader of Nexus S.
Procedure to Install TWRP Recovery on Google Nexus S I9020:
First you have to download fastboot package and latest TWRP Recovery image for your phone. Download links are given below.
- Fastboot files.
- TWRPRecovery image.
- Extract Fastboot.zip file in your PC. You will find following four files in your extracted folder.
- Now You need to enter into the bootloader mode. For entering intobootloader mode, turn off your phone first.
- HoldVolume Up +Power Buttonsimultaneously. Then phone will reboot and word “Start” will appear on screen.
- Select Fastboot using Power Button. (UseVolume Up/Downto goup/down& Power Button to select highlighted option).
- After entering into the Fastboot mode, Connect your phone to the PC.
- Open theFastboot folder (Which youve extracted earlier).
- Now Open command prompt & Point its directory to the fastboot folder (ORYou can do the same as: open Fastboot folder, Press & hold shift key and then right click on the free space in the same folder.When right clicked (holding shift), youll seeOpen Command window here option.Click it & Command prompt will be open pointing to the Fastboot directory).
- Put this command in command prompt :fastboot devices(After entering this command, youll see the random numbers appeared in the command prompt.This is to ensure that your device is properly connected).
- Now copy the image file of recovery (which you have downloaded) to the Fastboot folder where you have extracted Fastboot files.
- Now type command “
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img” in the command prompt window to flash the recovery. In place of recovery.img put the name of image file which you have downloaded and then proceed. Once flashing process is complete you will get message saying finished or done.
- In fastboot mode on your phone navigate the optionRecovery Modeusing volume keys and select it using power button to enter into recovery which you just now installed. In recovery select option Reboot to restart the phone.
Booting Into Custom Recovery:
- First switch off your phone.
- Then press and hold Volume up + Power button simultaneously until you land into bootloader mode. (Use volume buttons for navigation in bootloader mode.). In bootloader mode highlight option Recovery and press power botton to select it.
- Now you will land into custom Recovery which you have just now installed.
Excellent work!! TWRP recovery is now successfully installed on your phone.Now you can flash custom ROMs and other hacks. Report us know how it is working for you via comments.