Back in 2011 Samsung released their first phablet device, Samsung Galaxy Note having 5.3″ huge screen. No doubt that it turned out to be massive hit just like their other Smartphones. It has got excellent features like 1.4 GHz dual core processor, 1 GB RAM, 8 MP camera with full HD recording, S-pen stylus etc.
It came with Android 2.3 Gingerbread at the time of launch but being a high end device, Samsung has kept the devices updated with latest firmwares by releasing updates time to time. Recently the device received official Android 4.1.2 update. Google has updated Android to latest version of Jelly Bean that is 4.2 but Samsung has not released this update for any of their devices.
XDA Recognized Contributor krarvind has come up with SlimBean custom ROM based on Android 4.2 for Galaxy Note. As the name itself suggests it is a very lightweight ROM. This ROM is very close to AOSP so you get rich Android experience. Given below are the features of latest build of SlimBean ROM based on Android 4.2
- Slim File Manager
- Navigation Bar customization
- Lockscreen widgets toggle
- Lockscreen camera toggle
- Lockscreen customizable shortcuts
- Add any widget to lockscreen [some are not fully functional]
- Lockscreen orientation
- Battery stat on Lockscreen
- Variable size pattern unlock
- Quick Settings (QS) optimization [duplication not possible for wifi, gps etc]
- Memory use optimization in QS
- Favorite contacts QS tile [duplication possible]
- Mobile Data QS tile
- Screen Timeout QS Tile
- Reboot QS Tile
- Torch QS Tile
Plus you get all latest features of Jelly Bean 4.2. You can also install Addons on SlimBean ROM, they are available on their official website. Following article explains how to install SlimBean ROM on Samsung Galaxy Note.
Disclaimer: Risk is involved in the article written ahead and can also cause damage to your device. It is recommended that you should not follow it if you are newbie in this Android world. Read article completely and implement all the steps at your own risk. If any damage is happened to your device after inculcating these steps, we will not be responsible for that.
This SlimBean custom ROM is strictly built for Samsung Galaxy Note N7000. Dont try to flash it on any other device or variant otherwise permanent might cause to it.
- Dont forget to charge your Note at least up to 70% so that installation will proceed uninterruptedly.
- Since all the data on mobile gets wiped during the process, it is better to take a backup of important data like SMS, MMS, APN, contacts etc. to the external memory.
- Make sure that you have already installed custom recovery like Clockworkmod recovery or TWRP recovery on mobile. Without this recovery you cannot flash ROM on the mobile.
Procedure to flash SlimBean 4.2.1 Jelly Bean Custom ROM on Samsung Galaxy Note N7000:
- First download SlimBean 4.2.1 for Note along with Gapps package for Jelly Bean. Gapps contain Google apps like Gmail, Maps, Play store etc. which are not present it custom ROM.
Download latest build of SlimBean 4.2.1 from official page.
Download Gapps and other Addons for SlimBean.
- Connect your Note to computer through USB cable. Ensure that you have enabled USB debugging on. Copy both files to the external memory. Dont extract them.
- Disconnect mobile from PC. Switch off it and boot into fastboot mode.
- For that press & hold Volume up + Home down + Power button simultaneously until device boots into recovery mode.
- Take a nandroid backup of current system. You might need it if something goes wrong. For that select backup & restore and then backup. This backup will be saved in external memory.(This step is not mandatory.)
- Now wipe data/factory reset and then wipe cache partition to wipe all the data and caches respectively on the device.
- Next step is flashing of ROM. To do so select install zip from sdcard and then choose zip from sdcard. Choose SlimBean 4.2.1 file for installation.
- This will take few minutes for installation.
- Repeat the step of install zip from sdcard and chose zip from sdcard. But this time chose Gapps Package. And so on you can go on installing SlimBean Addons by the same method as explained above.
- After successful flashing of both the files, select +++++go back+++++ and then reboot system now. First start may take a while.
Marvelous!!!! SlimBean ROM based on Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean is now running on your Samsung Galaxy Note. Dont forget to share your views and report us how it is working for you through comments. Feel free to ask any doubts if you have. We will come up with solution as soon as possible.
Tip: If you dont like this ROM or you are not comfortable with this ROM, you can easily return back to the previous ROM just by entering into the recovery mode. Then select backup & restore option followed by restore & chose your latest backup to restore.