Those Samsung Galaxy S3 owners who were desperately waiting for the official cyanogenmod to come out for their device, we have brought a great news for you i.e Cyanogenmod has added all variants of Galaxy S3 in Cyanogenmod 9 list. There are no stable build released yet but you can expect them to rolled out within 1 week or two.
Though unofficial CM10 is already out there on web which is based on latest Android version i.e Jelly Bean 4.1, it has some bugs & not recommended for daily use since ROM is in alpha stage. Up-til then you should try the official build of CM9 (based on ICS) & we will guide you on the same..
Disclaimer : The methods & procedures described here are risky. If you are not aware of the things discussed here, you should not attempt it. In case if any damage happened to your device while following this procedure, neither we nor Cyanogenmod team should be held responsible for it.
Please note that the guide mentioned here is compatible only with International Samsung Galaxy S3 which bears model number GT-I9300. Please dont try it on any other device (including AT&T/Verizon/Sprint Galaxy S3) or it may result in hard bricked phone.
Essential Pre-requisites before installing a Custom ROM :
- Enable USB Debugging from the path mentioned below :
Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging
- It is highly recommended to backup all the data from phone memory (including apps, messages, contacts etc.) since at the end, you’ve to wipe all the data from phone memory.
- Ensure that you’ve charged your device upto 60 % battery level.
By assuming that you’ve followed all the steps mentioned above, you can now safely proceed to installation procedure of CM9 ROM.
Procedure To Update Samsung Galaxy S3 With Official Cyanogenmod 9 :
For simplicity we have divided this article in 2 simple steps.
Step 1 : Installation of Clockworkmod Recovery
- To install custom ROMs on your device, you need to have custom recovery (clockworkmod recovery) installed on it. Follow the guide mentioned below to install clockworkmod recovery on your phone.
Procedure to install touch clockworkmod recovery on Samsung Galaxy S3
Step 2 : Installation of official Cyanogenmod 9
- Download latest Cyanogenmod 9 package from the official development page (Link is mentioned below).
Latest CM9 Package for Galaxy S3.
- Download Google Apps (Gmail, Maps, GTalk, Play Store etc.) which are not installed in ROM by default. (Since Google doesn’t permit to use Gapps on custom builds).
- As soon as you download above file. Connect your device to PC by using the cable which you’ve got at the time of purchase. Enable mass storage mode on it. Now transfer/copy both the files to your device’s internal SD card. Ensure that you are not keeping it in deep directory.
- Now disconnect the phone from computer. You then need to enter into recovery mode. To do so, switch off the device completely, press & hold Volume Up button + Power key until recovery mode appears.
- After entering into recovery mode, select “install zip from sdcard” & then “choose zip from sdcard“. Navigate the ROM file (which you’ve transferred earlier) Select it & press on ‘Yes‘ to continue. ROM installation process will start.
- Wait for the ROM to get installed. After ROM gets successfully installed, your phone will land in the recovery mode again. Now select wipe data/factory reset & wipe cache partition to wipe all the data & caches from the phone memory.
- The same procedure you have to do for installation of Google Apps. (Just don’t do the above step i.e, wiping data after installation of Gapps). When you finished installation of Gapps, it will land in recovery mode.
- Select reboot system now from the recovery mode itself to Restart the phone.
- Usually first boot of the phone takes some time after flashing of new ROM so be patient.
Congrats !! You’ve successfully installed official CM9 on your brand new Galaxy S3. Let us know your thoughts & how it is working for you. In case if you need a help, feel free to comment it below..