Sprint is often fast to roll out latest Android updates & upgrades to their Galaxy S3 smartphone. It was a first US carrier to offer Android 4.1.1 update for Samsungs flagship handset at that time. The process of releasing updates looks quiet simple from the user point of view. But there are so many factors that can delay the update. In case of carriers, 3 stage process is involved. At first stage, Google releases a new Android update. Then at second stage, manufactures modify the OS,add their specific features in it & pushes to their customers. Now at the last stage, manufactures hand over the modified version to Carriers. Carriers make some network related changes, add bloatwares in it & finally roll out to consumers. This whole process takes around 2-3 months from the release date of Original Android from Google.
The trend will continue for further updates / upgrades too. Who knows, how much time it will take for Sprint to provide Android 4.2 for Galaxy S3. Now instead of waiting for Official Android 4.2 update from Sprint, you can directly upgrade your phone to Jelly Bean with the help of custom ROM called Cyanogenmod.
Cyanogenmod 10.1 is based on latest Android 4.2 OS that provides you the pure Android experience. Along with this, CM10.1 adds many customization capabilities to the ROM making it popular amongst the Android users resting worldwide. And now it’s officially made available to Sprint Galaxy S3 L710 for download. Are you ready to try CM10.1 on your phone? Well if the answer is yes then we’re at your service.
Let us move on further to know procedure required for you to upgrade your Sprint Galaxy S3 SPH-L710 to Android 4.2. via Cyanogenmod 10.1 Custom ROM.
Disclaimer: The steps given in this article are considered to be risky & can cause damage to your device. You should not try to attempt these things if you aren’t aware of it. Please follow this guide completely at your own risk. If any damage happened to your device, we won’t be held liable for it.
This guide is intended only for Sprint Galaxy S3 SPH-L10. Dont implement it on any other device or variant of the same else it may result in permanent damage to your device.
- Enable USB Debugging option in your phone.
- Charge your device up to 75% battery level in order not to interrupt the installation procedure.
- It is highly recommended to backup all your data from phone memory which includes contacts, messages (SMS/MMS), call logs, Internet APNs etc.
(Important) It is necessary to have Custom Recovery like Clockworkmod / TWRP installed in your phone for flashing Cyanogenmod 10.1 Custom ROM. If you haven’t done it yet, you can get one from here.
Procedure to Update Sprint Galaxy S3 SPH-L710 with Cyanogenmod 10.1 Custom ROM (Android 4.2.1):
- Download Google Apps zip package (Gmail, Maps, GTalk, Play Store etc.) from the link given below.
- Google Apps
- After downloading ROM package & Google Apps, connect your phone to the PC. Enable mass storage mode to access SD card data & transfer both the files on the root directory of it.
- Disconnect the phone from computer. Now boot into Clockworkmod recovery. To do so, switch off the phone completely. Press & hold Volume Up + Home Button + Power Key together until recovery mode appears (you can release power button after Samsung logo appears but keep holding other two until recovery mode shows up).
- After getting into the recovery, make a nandroid backup of your current ROM so that it can be restored back in case of failure. To do so, Highlight backup and restore option in the recovery menu, select it & then choose backup to start the backup process.
- Select wipe data/factory reset & thereafter wipe cache partition to wipe the data & caches respectively from the phone memory.
- Now select install zip from sdcard & then on next screen select, choose zip from sdcard. It will show you all the files & folders located on the root directory of your device. Navigate to the ROM file, select it using power button (unless youre using touch CWM) & confirm the installation by pressing on Yes. This should start installing the ROM.
- For installation of Google Apps, do the same steps as you’ve done for ROM.
- After you finish flashing all both files, Selectreboot system nowto Restart the phone.
Note:If you want to restore back your previous ROM, you can do so by booting into the recovery mode. In recovery, selectBackup and Restoreoption & on next screen, selectrestore.Now choose the backup you like to restore (or the restore the backup you’ve made before flashing this ROM).
Great Job! Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean based custom ROM Cyanogenmod 10.1 is now successfully installed & running on your Sprint Galaxy S3. Keep visiting official download page for the latest updates. And do let us know how the ROM is doing for you. Enjoy..