Google has already updated their Nexus 7 tab with all new Android 4.2 Jelly Bean. The new OS includes lot many improvements & missing features from the previous Android build. It has got some interesting things like multiuser interface (one tablet many users), wireless display, Daydream, expandable & actionable notifications, photo sphere camera, smarter keyboard with gesture typing, a new look for Google Search etc. And beyond these things, it is ultra fast & buttery smooth.
Still some things are missing right? Well Cyanogenmod is here to help you out. CM10.1 is based on Android 4.2 and offers many customizations over the original Android. Moreover it is officially available for your Nexus 7 tab. Within few minutes you can flash / install CM10.1 on your tab. Just follow the step by step guide given below & your tab will be running Cyanogenmod 10.1.
Disclaimer: Steps given in this article are considered as risky and may cause damage to your tab. It is highly recommended that you should not follow it unless you are aware with these things. Follow this article completely at your own risk. We or the ROM developer wont be held responsible for any damage caused to your device while attempting these steps.
This guide is applicable only for Google Nexus 7 Tab. Dont try it on any other device or variant of the same else it may result in permanent damage to your device.
- Charge your device up to 70% battery level in order not to interrupt the installation procedure.
- Enable USB Debugging option in your tab.
- It is highly recommended to backup all your data from internal memory which includes contacts, messages (SMS/MMS), call logs, Internet APNs etc.
(Important) Your device must have unlocked bootloader & custom recovery installed in it. For installing Clockworkmod Recovery on your tab, follow this guide.
Procedure to Update Google Nexus 7 Tab with Cyanogenmod 10.1 Custom ROM (Android 4.2.1):
- Download Google Apps (Gmail, Maps, GTalk, Play Store etc.) from the link given below.
- Google Apps for Jelly Bean
- After downloading ROM package & Google Apps, connect your tab to the PC. Enable mass storage mode to access external SD card data & transfer both the files on the root directory of it.
- Disconnect the tab from computer. Now boot into Clockworkmod recovery. To do so, switch off the tab completely. Press & hold Volume Up + Volume down Button + Power Key together until recovery mode appears.
- After getting into the recovery, make a nandroid backup of your current ROM so that it can be restored back in case of failure. To do so, Highlight backup and restore option in the recovery menu, select it & then choose backup to start the backup process.
- Select wipe data/factory reset & subsequently wipe cache partition to wipe the data & caches respectively from the internal memory. (Caution! performing this step will erase all the data from internal memory, which includes sms/mms, contacts, reminders, APNs, call logs, apps etc. therefore ensure that youve taken backup of all these things before).
- Now select install zip from sdcard & then on next screen select, choose zip from sdcard. It will show you the files & folders located on the SD card of your device. Navigate to the ROM file, select it using power button & confirm the installation by pressing on Yes. This should start installing the ROM.
- Again select install zip from sdcard followed by choose zip from sdcard & this time browse for Google apps package file (gapps-jb-20121212-signed.zip). Press on Yes to install confirm Google Apps installation.
- After you finish flashing all the files, Selectreboot system nowto Restart the tablet.
Tip: You can restore back your previous ROM using CMW’s restore feature. To restore the previous ROM, boot into the recovery mode, selectBackup and Restoreoption & on next screen, selectrestore.Now choose the backup you like to restore (or the restore the backup you’ve made before flashing this ROM).
That’s all ! You’ve successfully updated your Nexus 7 tab to Cyanogenmod 10.1. Now customize it as you want. And if you have any query, you can report us through comments, we’ll try out our best to sort it out. Enjoy..