After releasing Android operating system for mobile phones, Google has also captured smartphone market with releasing their series of Nexus devices. After great success of their Nexus S, Google released this third generation Nexus device in collaboration with Korean smartphone giants Samsung. And it comes with stunning features like HD screen, full HD video recording, NFC, 1.2 GHz dual-core processor and 1 GB RAM.Galaxy Nexus is the first device to run Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich, introducing a large number of new features and improvements.
Being a Nexus device it gets all the latest updates as soon as they are released. Now OTA update of latest Android 4.2 (Jelly Bean) is available for Galaxy Nexus. Verizon variant of Galaxy Nexus has also got the update. But if you seek more performance and more customizations you have to go to custom ROMs. They also provide you the better Android experience than stock firmwares with their in-built functions & features.
Here is a new year treat for ROM lovers. An official build of AOKP custom ROM is now available for Verizon Galaxy Nexus. AOKP is a very famous ROM mainly known for it’s highly customizable features. AOKP custom ROM based on Android 4.2 has got features like Fully customizable NavBar, Custom boot animation, Customizable Status-bar Toggles etc. Don’t forget that ROM is still in development stage so you may find some minor bugs but soon they will be fixed.
Tutorial given below will guide you through the steps required for installing AOKP custom ROM (Android 4.2) in your Verizon Galaxy Nexus.
Disclaimer: The steps mentioned in given tutorial are considered as risky and may cause damage to your device. It is recommended that you should not follow these steps if you are not aware of all these things. Read the article at your own risk. We or developers are not responsible for any damage caused to your mobile after attempting these steps.
This tutorial is applicable only to Verizon Galaxy Nexus having model numberSCH-i515. Implementing this tutorial for some other mobile or variant might give you some unexpected results.
- Charge your mobile at least up to 70% so that there will not be any interruption due to low battery.
- Enable / Tick USB Debugging option in your phone.
- As all the data on the mobile gets wiped during installation of ROM, you should take a backup of all your personal important data like SMS, MMS, APN, contacts etc. to the external memory.
(Important) You must haveunlocked bootloader & Custom Recovery like Clockworkmod / TWRP installed in your phone for flashing AOKP Custom ROM. To unlock bootloader, you can use this guide & for installing TWRP Recovery, follow the guide given here.
Procedure to install AOKP custom ROM on Verizon Galaxy Nexus:
- As the Google Apps are not included in this ROM, you have to separately download them and flash them.
- Download Google Apps (Gmail, Maps, GTalk, Play Store etc.) from the link given below.
- Google Apps for Jelly Bean.
- After downloading ROM package & Google Apps, connect your phone to the PC. Enable mass storage mode to access internal memory data & transfer both the files on the root directory of it
- Disconnect your mobile from PC. Switch it off and boot into recovery mode.
- For booting into recovery mode, press and hold Volume up + Volume down + Power button simultaneously until you land into recovery mode. (Use volume buttons for navigation in recovery mode.)
- It is recommended that you should take a nandroid backup of current system. For that select backup & restore and then backup. This nandroid backup will be saved in external memory.
- Select wipe data/factory reset followed by wipe cache partition to wipe all the data & caches respectively from the phone memory.
- Select install zip from sdcard followed by chose zip from sdcard. Then select AOKP zip file form the list. Chose yes for confirmation.
- This will take few minutes for installation.
- As stated earlier Google apps are not present in this ROM, you need to flash it separately. For that repeat above step of install zip from sdcard and then chose zip from sdcard and then chose Gapps file.
- After successful flashing of both the files, select +++++go back+++++ and reboot system now. Don’t panic if first start takes a bit more time.
Well done!! Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean is now running on your mobile through AOKP custom ROM. Share your views about this ROM. If you any queries, then tell us through comments. We will come up with solution as soon as possible.
Tip: If you dont like this ROM or you are not comfortable with this ROM, you can easily return back to the previous ROM just by entering into the recovery mode. Then select backup & restore option followed by restore & chose your latest backup to restore.