Till now, many of you might have experienced & enjoyed Android 4.2.2 update through custom ROMs (AOSP interface) but you need not to stay with them anymore as the most awaited version of Android viz, Jelly Bean 4.2.2 is now available for Samsung Galaxy S3.
Few months ago, we saw leaked firmware of Android 4.2.1 for Galaxy S3 but now we’ve got Android 4.2.2 (leaked). This firmware is packed using JDQ39 build viz, a latest Android build till today. Being a leaked & an official firmware, it has some cons & pros. Those are discussed below.
As this firmware is re-packaged from dump files, it will increase your device’s binary counter but the current binary and system status will remain official. Modem isn’t provided in this firmware therefore the Modem that you were using before flashing this update will retain. This firmware is fully tested & works very well like any other official firmware.
What’s new in Android 4.2.2 XXUFME3 Jelly Bean update?
Well, there are heavy enhancements in Android 4.2.2. Take a look at the list given below:
- New Lockscreen like Galaxy S4: Multiple Widgets, two Unlock effects (Ripple and Light), improved ripple effect than Android 4.1.2, ability to change clock size and set a personal message.
- New Screen modes like Galaxy S4: Adapt Display and Professional Photo.
- Daydream (AOSP Android 4.2.2 feature).
- Driving mode.
- Actionable notifications.
- New Additions in Notification Center.
- Completely different Settings UI (Tabbed interface same as Galaxy S4).
- Addition of Voice controls (Lets you control various parts of the phone using voice commands Galaxy S4 feature).
- Gallery modes have white background (When changing gallery modes to 3D the background changes to white).
- New S-Voice (From Galaxy S4).
- New smart switch widget.
As we can see, camera features from Galaxy are not mentioned in the list. But don’t worry. Samsung is yet to release Android 4.2.2 for Galaxy S3 officially. Hopefully it will be there.
So, go ahead, follow the instructions & then experience the all new Android 4.2.2 XXUFME3 firmware on your Galaxy S3 I9300.
Disclaimer: Steps mentioned in this article are considered as risky & can damage your phone (although risk level is low). But you should not try to attempt these things unless you are completely aware of it. Please follow this guide at your own risk. If your device gets damage while following this tutorial, we should not be held responsible for it.
Apply / Flash this update only on Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 (International variant). Using this guide on any other model or variant (of S3) might give you undesired results. Your device may also get bricked by doing so.
- Your Device Must be charged at least up 70% battery level.
- It is always recommended to backup all your data from internal storage memory (includes contacts, messages (SMS/MMS), call logs, Internet APNs etc.) as it will get wiped during flashing process (SD card will not be erased but still make a backup of it as well).
- Device specific drivers (Samsung Drivers) are necessary and must be installed on your computer in order to make the phone recognized by PC. You can install them by installing Samsung Kies. Download Kies from here. OR Download appropriate device drivers (according to Windows, you’re running) directly from the links mentioned below:
- Windows 32 bit x86 drivers
- Windows 64 bit x64 drivers
- Disable all security related software (like Antivirus) installed on your PC.
Procedure to Upgrade Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 to Android 4.2.2 XXUFME3 Jelly Bean Firmware:
- Download Odin Multi Downloader v3.07 (Firmware flashing Program).
- Odin Multi Downloader v3.07
- Download Android 4.2.2 XXUFME3 Jelly Bean Firmware Package from the link provided below:
- Download Android 4.2.2 XXUFME3 for Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300
- Extract firmware package (.zip file) to any convenient location on your PC. You’ll find a file with .tar.md5 extension.
- Now, turn off the phone completely. Enter into download mode. For doing the same, press & hold Volume down + Home button (Middle one). While holding both buttons, simply press Power key till you see the warning message appeared on your phone screen. Press Volume up to continue. Finally you’ll see the construction Android robot & a yellow triangle, that means your device has entered in download mode.
- Open Odin Multi Downloader tool on your Computer which you’ve just downloaded & connect the phone using USB cable.
- If your phone is connected successfully, youll see that the ID:COM section (located at top left) is turned blue with a random COM port number appeared below it (If your ID:COM box doesnt turn out to be blue, don’t worry. Just install Samsung drivers using the link mentioned in Pre-requisites).
- In Odin, select PDA tab & choose “I9300XXUFME3_I9300OJKFME1_HOME.tar.md5″ file. Keep all the remaining options as they are & make sure that Re-Partition box is not ticked.
- You are all set now. Just press the start button to initiate flashing process on your device. Wait until Odin finishes its task. When flashing process gets done, Odin will display the ‘Pass’ message above ID:COM (with the Green background color) & device will restart automatically.
- Unplug the device from Computer (only if you get pass message in Odin).
- Now you will need to factory reset the phone in order to ensure proper functioning of this firmware.
- To factory reset, youll have to boot in the recovery mode. The same can be achieved by following some simple steps.
- Switch off the phone (you can do this by removing battery or pressing power button).
- Press & hold Volume up + Home button together & then press Power key. You can release Power button as soon as Samsung logo appears.
- Your device is now booted into recovery mode.
- Since touch wont work in recovery, use Volume up/down & power key only for navigation & selection respectively.
- Now highlight Wipe data/factory reset by using Volume buttons & select it using power key. The same you have to do with Wipe Cache.
- After getting done with all these things, finally select reboot system now option to restart the phone.
- You will observe that the phone is taking long time to boot (than usual) but dont worry, this is for the first time only.
Congratulations! Android 4.2.2 is now up & running on your Samsung Galaxy S3. This is like a dream come true. Well, enjoy the upgrade and do inform us how the update is working for you. We’ll be glad to hear from you.
If you get any problem while flashing this firmware, put a comment below. We’ll look into your problem and will try to solve it as soon as possible. Enjoy!
For getting further updates, like our Facebook page & Follow us on Google+.