The Samsung Galaxy S4 I9505 with Qualcomm Snapdragon processor has received a new Android 4.2.2 XXUBMEA OTA update. This is the major update with tons of new features and improvements in the overall performance of the device. Samsung rolled out this update in order to fix many bugs that were present in its previous update. Thats why it is much stable, smooth and bug free as compared to its previous version. Many S4 users had the complaint regarding the internal storage of their device.
Samsung provided a 16 GB internal storage but only 9 GB was usable to users. This made many users delete their favorite apps. It seems that Samsung has now taken the complaint very seriously by giving an additional more than 100MB free space back to users. They also provided with an App to SD card app using which you can easily transfer the apps to SD card, thus saving your memory.
Lets check out some of its features.
- Added new theme and customization options
- Transparent Notification and Pulldown Background
- Transparent HomeScreen Status Bar
- Included new feature Increase legibility that can be found under Settings -> My Device -> Display
- Battery Saving Tweaks for Extended Battery Life
- Fixed Smearing issue (purple effect while scrolling)
- Smart pause toggle in notifications slider
Now we will head on to the exact procedure of upgrading your Samsung Galaxy S4 I9505 to Official Android 4.2.2 XXUBMEA Firmware.
Try this at your own risk. We are not at all responsible for any of the damage caused to your device after following this procedure. Although it is very rare that your device will be damaged but still we highly recommend you to follow all the instructions properly as they are mentioned below.
This article is compatible only and only with Samsung Galaxy S4 model number I9505. So dont even think of flashing if youre having another device except the one mentioned as your device may get bricked or may result into unwanted outcomes. You must check your devices model number in Settings -> About Phone.
- Make sure that your device is charged at least up to 80% so that it wont get turn off during the process.
- Also we highly recommend you to backup all your Phone data and settings including contacts, SMS/MMS and call logs etc. before following the given firmware installation article. You must also note down the internet APNs from Settings-> Wireless and Network -> Mobile Network -> Access Point Names. So that in case you face any trouble during the process your data will be safe and protected.
- You must take a backup of EFS folder which contains your phones IMEI (International Mobile Equipment Identity) number. It is highly recommended as in case if this folder gets wiped by mistake then your device will not get the network signal which will result in problems for making or receiving calls. So just copy that folder from the root location of your phones internal partition to your external memory card. (Note: For copying this folder your device must have Root Access).
- You must install the appropriate device drivers in your PC for getting your device recognized when you connect it to the PC. Device drivers can be installed through Kies software.
- Click Here to download Kies
- Download Samsung USB drivers:
- Click Here to download
- You must temporary disable all the security tools as well as Antivirus Installed on your PC as they might interrupt the process.
Procedure to Upgrade Samsung Galaxy S4 I9505 to Android 4.2.2 XXUBMEA Firmware:
- Download Android 4.2.2 XXUBMEA Firmware:
- Click Here to download
- Download Odin Multi Downloader v3.07:
- Click Here to download
- This Odin Multi Downloader must be installed in your PC which can be further used for flashing the Official Firmware on your device.
- After downloading the Firmware package given above which is a Zip file, extract it in your PC through Winrar. Youll receive a .tar.md5 extension file along with some other files (optional).
- Switch off your device completely. Now boot the device into downloading mode by holding Volume Down Key + Home Button (middle button) + Power Button simultaneously until a construction Android robot along with a triangle appears on the screen. Then press the Volume Up key to enter in the download mode.
- Launch the Odin Multi Downloader tool which you just installed in your PC and connect your device using the USB cable.
- When the device connects successfully, a message saying Added appears in Odin. Along with that youll see the ID:COM section (located at top left) is turned Yellow with a random COM port number appearing below it. In case the ID:COM section doesnt turn out to be Yellow, re-install the Device drivers or Samsung USB drivers from the link given above in pre-requisites.
- In Odin, select the PDA tab and select the firmware file which youll get after extracting the firmware package. Keep all the remaining options in the Odin as they are.
- Note that the Re-partition box is not ticked.
- Now hit the Start button to begin the flashing process of Android 4.2.2 XXUBMEA Firmware on your Samsung Galaxy S4 I9505.
- As soon as the Firmware flashing process finishes successfully, youll get a message saying Pass above the ID:COM section with a Green colored background. The device will restart automatically.
- Now safely unplug the USB cable from your PC
- In case your device gets stuck while performing the above flashing process, immediately close the Odin window, remove and re-insert the battery and again do the same above procedure.
- For fixing the boot loops issue it is necessary to factory reset the device. To do so, youll need to boot in the recovery mode.
- Firstly switch off your device completely by directly removing battery or long pressing the power button.
- Press and hold down the Volume up key + Home Button (middle button) + Power Button simultaneously until the recovery mode appears.
- In Recovery mode use Volume Up and Down key for Navigation and Power Button for Selection.
- Now Select wipe data/factory reset and wipe cache partition to wipe the data and catches respectively from the phone memory.
- After doing so, restart your device by pressing the reboot system now from the Recovery mode itself.
- The device will take more time than usual to restart.
Congo..! After restarting you will be happy to see that Android 4.2.2 XXUBMEA Firmware is successfully installed on your Samsung Galaxy S4 I9505. If you have any suggestions, issues or any questions related to this update then please dont hesitate to share them in the comments section below. We will try our best to clear them as soon as possible.
Stay tuned to get more updates and dont forget to like our Facebook page as well as to follow us on Google+.