Generally when you say the term Android Smartphone first thing comes to your mind is a fully touch screen operated smartphone. But now recently for those who use their phone maximum for chatting and prefer to type with solid keys instead of on screen QWERTY keyboard, some phones are launched. These are touch and type phones having normal smartphone interface, operated by touchscreen and a QWERTY keyboard below for typing.
Last year Samsung released Android smartphone from Galaxy series for chat lovers called Samsung Galaxy Chat, a low end model basically. Galaxy Chat comes with on board Ice Cream Sandwich but it is upgradeable to JB. Recently Samsung has started rolling out Jelly Bean updates to many of their devices. Here is great news for Galaxy Chat users, now Galaxy Chat has received official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean update.
With installation of this firmware Chat users will get additional boost in performance and longer battery life. Plus latest features of Jelly Bean like smoother interface, actionable notifications, resizable widgets, Google Now etc. This update is available over the air in Spain so Spanish people can update their devices via Kies. For other people who dont want to wait and taste the treat off Jelly Bean immediately can go for manual flashing of update through Odin multidownloader. The step by step process of manual flashing of update is explained below in the article.
Disclaimer: The Procedure described in this article is risky & can cause damage to your device. You should not try to attempt this if you are not aware of these things. Please follow this guide completely at your own risk. If any damage happened to your device while following this tutorial, we shouldn’t held responsible for it.
Please note that, this update of leaked Jelly Bean firmware is intended for Samsung Galaxy Chat bearing model number B5330. DONT try it on other variants of the same or on any other device, it can cause damage to your phone.
- Charge your device up to 75% battery level.
- It is highly recommended to backup all your data from internal memory (includes contacts, messages (SMS/MMS), call logs, Internet APNs etc.). Your phone data will get lost after installation of this firmware (excluding External storage).
- In order to use USB debugging mode on your phone, device specific drivers must be installed on your computer. You can install the same by installing Samsung Kies. To download it manually, click here.
Procedure to Install Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean Firmware on Samsung Galaxy Chat:
- Download Odin Multi Downloader v3.07 & Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean firmware package from the links mentioned below :
- Odin Multi Downloader v3.07
- Download Android 4.1.2 firmware package for Samsung Galaxy Chat
- Extract firmware package (.zip file) to any convenient location on your computer. You will find file named B5330XXUBMC2_B5330OXABMC2_B5330XXUBMC2_HOME.tar.md5
- Now, switch off the phone completely. Enter into download mode. For doing the same, press and hold these keys together: Volume Down + Home(OK Button) + Power till the screen turns on. Then press Volume Up to enter download mode.
- Open Odin Multi Downloader tool on your Computer which you’ve just downloaded & connect the phone using USB cable.
- If your phone is connected successfully, youll see that the ID:COM section (located at top left) is turned Blue with a random COM port number appeared below it. (If your ID:COM box doesnt turn out to be Blue, don’t worry. You will need to install proper drivers for your device. For installation of drivers, use the CD you got at the time of purchase & install Kies software from it. You can download kies from here OR you can manually download device drivers from here).
- In Odin, select PDA tab & choose B5330XXUBMC2_B5330OXABMC2_B5330XXUBMC2_HOME.tar.md5 file. Keep all the remaining options as they are & make sure that Re-Partition box is not checked.
- Press Start button to initiate the flashing process of Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean firmware on your Samsung Galaxy Chat. When flashing process finishes successfully, youll get Pass message with the Green background above COM port & device will restart automatically.
- Unplug the device from Computer.
- Now you will need to factory reset the phone in order to avoid boot loops & malfunctioning of the phone.
- To factory reset, youll have to boot in the recovery mode. The same can be achieved by following some simple steps.
- Switch off the phone (you can do this by removing battery or pressing power button).
- Press & hold Volume up + Home button together & then press Power key. You can release Power button as soon as Samsung logo appears.
- Your device is now booted into recovery mode.
- Since touch wont work in recovery, use Volume up/down & power key only for navigation & selection respectively.
- Now highlight Wipe data/factory reset by using Volume buttons & select it using power key. The same you have to do with Wipe Cache.
- After getting done with all these things, select reboot system now option to restart the phone.
- You may see that the phone is booting slowly than usual but dont worry it’s normal & this is for the first time only.
You have successfully done it. Now official Android 4.1.2 firmware is installed on your Samsung Galaxy Chat. Now enjoy all the latest Jelly Bean features. Feel free to ask via comments us if you need any assistance.