Those T-Mobile Galaxy S2 users who were eagerly waiting for an Official Jelly Bean upgrade, its finally here. This update has build number UVMC6. Every carrier wants to have large no. of Customers. And hence there is tough fight between US carriers like AT&T and T-Mobile. Both the carriers have rolled out JB upgrade for their Galaxy S2 at the same time.
Jelly Bean is most appreciable Android version till now because it offers many features than ICS and GB. It is much faster, smoother and reliable update. Lets checkout some features of Jelly Bean:
Enhancements in the New Jelly Bean Update:
- Buttery Smooth Performance & Great Stability (Thanks to Project Butter)
- Full User Interface Revamp (Same UI as of the Galaxy S3I and Galaxy Note 2)
- TouchWiz Nature UX
- Samsungs S Cloud services
- Improved Camera features
- New Lockscreen With Many Customization Options
- New Features like Direct Call, Smart Stay and Pop-up Play
- New Widgets (From Galaxy S3)
- 2 Home screen modes
- New Notification bar With More Notification Toggles
- Google Now
As given in enhancements, Samsung has included their own TouchWiz Nature UX launcher (the same launcher that is used in Galaxy S3 and Note 2) in this update. More settings for Lockscreens, Actionable notifications, Smart Stay & Pop-up play are some of the key features of Samsung’s JB.
So, in this article we’re going to show you how one can update his / her T-Mobile Galaxy S2 T989 to Android 4.1.2 UVMC6 Jelly Bean firmware manually.
Disclaimer : Steps given in this article are considered as risky & can cause damage to your device. You should not try to attempt these things if you aren’t aware of it. Please follow this guide completely at your own risk. If any damage happened to your device while following this tutorial, we should not be held liable for it.
The given article is strictly intended for T-Mobile Galaxy S2 T989. Using this guide on any other model or variant (of S2) might give you undesired results. Your device may get bricked by doing so.
- Charge your device up to 75% battery level.
- It is highly recommended to backup all your data from internal storage memory (includes contacts, messages (SMS/MMS), call logs, Internet APNs etc.). Your phone data will vanish after installation of this firmware (excluding External storage like SD card).
- Samsung device drivers must be installed on your computer in order to make the phone recognized by it. You can install the same by installing Samsung Kies. To download it manually, click here. OR Download device drivers directly from below:
- Windows 32 bit x86 drivers
- Windows 64 bit x64 drivers
Procedure to Update T-Mobile Galaxy S2 T989 with UVMC6 Jelly Bean Firmware (Android 4.1.2):
- Download Odin Multi Downloader v3.07 (Firmware flashing Program) & Jelly Bean 4.1.2 Package from the links mentioned below :
- Odin Multi Downloader v3.07
- Download Android 4.1.2 T989UVMC6 for T-Mobile Galaxy S2
- Extract firmware package (.zip file) to any convenient location on your computer. You’ll find a file with .tar.md5 extension.
- Now, switch off the phone completely. Enter into download mode. For doing the same, press & hold Volume down + Home button (Middle one). While holding both buttons, simply press Power key till you see the warning message appeared on your phone screen. Press Volume up to continue. Finally you’ll see the construction Android robot & a yellow triangle, that means your device has entered in download mode.
- Open Odin Multi Downloader tool on your Computer which you’ve just downloaded & connect the phone using USB cable.
- If your phone is connected successfully, you’ll see that the ID:COM section (located at top left) is turned blue with a random COM port number appeared below it (If your ID:COM box doesn’t turn out to be blue, don’t worry. Just install Samsung drivers using the link mentioned in Pre-requisites).
- In Odin, select PDA tab & choose “T989UVMC6_T989TMB_T989UVMC6_HOME.tar.md5″ file. Keep all the remaining options as they are & make sure that Re-Partition box is not ticked.
- Finally hit Start button to initiate the flashing process of Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean firmware on your T-Mobile Galaxy S2. Sit back & relax until Odin finishes its task. When flashing process gets done, Odin will display the Pass message above ID:COM (with the Green background color) & device will restart automatically.
- Unplug the device from Computer.
- Now you will need to factory reset the phone in order to avoid boot loops & malfunctioning of the phone.
- To factory reset, you’ll have to boot in the recovery mode. The same can be achieved by following some simple steps.
- Switch off the phone (you can do this by removing battery or pressing power button).
- Press & hold Volume up + Volume down button together & then press Power key. You can release Power button as soon as Samsung logo appears.
- Your device is now booted into recovery mode.
- Since touch wont work in recovery, use Volume up/down & power key only for navigation & selection respectively.
- Now highlight Wipe data/factory reset by using Volume buttons & select it using power key. The same you have to do with Wipe Cache.
- After getting done with all these things, select reboot system now option to restart the phone.
- You may see that the phone is booting slowly than usual but don’t worry it’s normal & this is for the first time only.
Congratulations! Your T-Mobile Galaxy S2 is successfully updated to Android 4.1.2 UVMC6 Jelly Bean firmware. Feel free to ask any doubt in comment section below, we will try our best to answer you as quick as possible.