First batch of Galaxy S4s firmwares had many issues and bugs and many people reported them to Samsung. Recently Samsung launched a new firmware for GS4 andthankfully, the new software update brings a ton of improvements, enhancements and fixes over the initial firmwares of Samsungs flagship device.
As users reported, in 16GB variant of Galaxy S4 actual user available memory was only 9.15 GB in which you can install apps or store data. The new update brings the solutions over these issues by giving the user the functionality to move apps to SD card and increasing the available storage to 9.23GB. So now users should not complain about low user available space. And this is just one improvement from the update, rest of them are listed below.
Improvements and fixes in the new Software Update:
-New Camera firmware
-Purple effect while scrolling
-Smart Pause Toggle
-Move Apps to SD Card
-HDR Video (Can record HDR video)
-Semi-transparent status bar
-New Icons in Settings
-Secure boot status
-Increase legibility (Display) (New feature)
Now you can enjoy this update by manually flashing this new firmware. Article mentioned below will guide you on how to update your Galaxy S4 to XXUBMEA Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean firmware.
Disclaimer:Follow all the instructions mentioned in this article as if there is any damage caused due to not following instructions then we shall not be held liable or responsible. Just in case if you face any issues then we will try our level best to address the same.
This guide is applicable only forSamsunh Galaxy S4having model numberGT-I9500 (Exynos 5 Variant). Trying it on other variants of S4 or on any other device can cause damage to your Phone.
Before proceeding for main procedure these are some steps which you have to follow.
- In order to have smooth uninterrupted process you have to charge the battery of your device at least up to 70%.
- In this process if anything goes wrong then there is possibility that you may loose your personal data like SMS/MMS, Contacts, APN settings etc. So better you take backup of all these from backup softwares. Here are tutorials on how to take complete backup of your phone.
- How to Backup Call logs, APNs and EFS folder from your Android Device.
- How to Backup Android Contacts and Text Messages (SMS / MMS).
- How to Backup whole ROM / Firomware via Clockworkmod (CWM) Recovery
- You are required to use USB debugging mode on your Phone, to do so device specific drivers must be installed on your computer. Drivers can be installed along with Samsung Kies software. Here is the link to download and install it manually.
Procedure to Upgrade Samsung Galaxy S4 with Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean XXUBMEA Firmware:
- Links to download flashing program (Odin Multi Downloader v3.07) & Jelly Bean 4.2.2 Package are given below:
- Odin Multi Downloader v3.07
- Android 4.2.2 XXUBMEA for Samsung Galaxy S4
- Once you have downloaded both the files on your PC, extract Jelly Bean 4.2.2 Package. After extraction is finished youll find a file having extension.taror.tar.md5. You will need this file in further process. You are going to flash this file on your phone via Odin.
- Now, switch off the phone completely. Enter into download mode. For doing the same, press & holdVolume down + Power button until the screen turns on. After that simply pressPower keyonce again. Finally you’ll see the construction Android robot & a yellow triangle, which means your device has entered in download mode.
- Once you are in the downloadingmode, youll see “Downloading..” text in yellow. Connect your device to PC via USB cable keeping your device in downloadingmode.
- Open Odin Multi Downloader software whichyou’vejust downloaded along with JB firmware. If your device is properly connected then youll see that the ID:COM section has been turned blue. If not check that you have installed device specific drivers properly or install Kies.
- In Odin software, select PDA tab & choose the firmware file which you have extracted from downloaded zip file.
- Essential!! Don’t make any other changesin Odin software except for selecting the required file as given in above step. Keep all other options as they are. And do not check Re-partition box even by mistake.
- You are done, now simply press Start button to begin the flashing process. It will not take more than 6-7 Minutes to finish with the flashing procedure.
- Once installing procedure in Odin is finished, ID: COM section will turn Green & will show Pass in the box above ID: COM section.
- Essential!!If Odin gets stuck at any step after you hit the start button and seems to be not responding or if you get FAIL message in Odin after completion of process this is what you have to do. Disconnect your device from computer and close the Odin. Remove the battery of your phone and re-insert it. Then again go to downloading mode and repeat the procedure.
- Disconnect your phone from PC by removing USB cable.
- Procedure isn’t over yet.Turn your device off again. Now you need to enter into Recovery mode.
- You can do it by pressing & holdingVolume up + Home buttontogether & then pressingPower key. You can release Power button as soon as Samsung logo appears.
- UseVolume Up/Down keysto navigate options in recovery &Power buttonto select them.
- To avoid your device from going into bootloop, in the Recovery mode, selectwipe data/factory reset&wipe cache partition.
- After wiping data, select reboot system now to restart the phone. Usually first boot take some time after flashing firmware so be patient. As soon as device gets rebooted successfully, youll land in All new firmware.
Success!! You have successfully installed latest XXUBMEA firmware on your Samsung Galaxy S4 I9500. Now enjoy all latest features and enhancements which Samsung has provided in this firmware. And tell us through comments how its doing. You can also ask any doubts if you have any.