XDA Senior Member kalgecin has managed to port Jelly Bean for Samsung Galaxy S2. Galaxy S2’s little & younger brother namely Galaxy S & Galaxy S3 have got JB port already, now its time for the Galaxy S2 to get the same. kalgecin recently developed this ROM & it is in early stage of development (alpha). Therefore we can say that almost nothing is working in it. You can have a look at the list below quoted on the official development page of the ROM.
Disclaimer : The methods & procedures described here are risky. If you are not aware of the things discussed here, you should not attempt it. In case if any damage happened to your device while following this procedure, neither we nor developer of this ROM should be held responsible for it.
Please note that the guide mentioned here is compatible only with Galaxy S2 which bears model number GT-I9100. Please dont try it on any other device (including Galaxy S2 I9100G) or it may result in hard bricked phone.
Here is the list of working/not working functions in this ROM (Quoted on official development page) :
WORKING (not complete list):
[-] bluetooth (reconnects sometimes)
[-] H/W accelerator
[-] adb debugging doesn’t start automatically if switched on with cable pluged in
Essential Pre-requisites before installing a Custom ROM :
- Enable USB Debugging from the path mentioned below :
Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging
- It is highly recommended to backup all the data from phone memory (including apps, messages, contacts etc.) since at the end, you’ve to wipe all the data from phone memory.
- Ensure that you’ve charged your device upto 60 % battery level.
By assuming that you’ve followed all the steps mentioned above, you can now safely proceed to installation procedure of JB ROM.
Procedure To Update Samsung Galaxy S2 With Jelly Bean 4.1 (Alpha) ROM :
For simplicity we have divided this article in 3 simple steps.
Step 1 : Base Firmware Installation
- In order to run this ROM, your device should be running ICS 4.0.x ROM. Follow the link mentioned below which will guide you to install stock ICS ROM on Galaxy S2.
Procedure To Install ICS 4.0.3 XWLPD on Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100.
Step 2 : Installation of Clockworkmod Recovery
- To install custom ROMs on your device, you need to have custom recovery (clockworkmod recovery) installed on it. Follow the guide mentioned below to install clockworkmod recovery on your phone.
Procedure to install custom clockworkmod recovery on Samsung Galaxy S2 Running ICS 4.0.3 XWLPD
Step 2 : Installation of Jelly Bean 4.1.1 ROM
- Download latest Jelly Bean firmware package & required kernel from the official development page (Link is mentioned below).
- Latest JB Package For Samsung Galaxy S2
- Download Google Apps (Gmail, Maps, GTalk, Play Store etc.) which are not installed in ROM by default.
Google App For Jelly Bean.
- As soon as you download above 3 files. Connect your device to PC by using the cable which you’ve got at the time of purchase. Enable mass storage mode on it. Now transfer/copy all the 3 files to your device’s internal SD card. Ensure that you are not placing it in deep directory.
- Now disconnect the phone from computer. You then need to enter into recovery mode. To do so, switch off the device, press & hold Volume Up button + Home Button + Power key until recovery mode appears.
Note : On next step, you have to wipe all the data & caches from your device’s phone memory & in case if you do want this ROM to run on your device its always better to keep Nandroid backup of the same. To backup your current ROM, select Backupand Restore option from the recovery mode & on next screen, select backup. Now It will backup your whole system (excluding SD card).
- After entering into recovery mode, select wipe data/factory reset & wipe cache partition to wipe all the data & caches from the phone memory.
- Select “install zip from sdcard” & then “choose zip from sdcard“. Navigate the ROM file (which you’ve transferred earlier) Select it & press on ‘Yes‘ to continue. ROM installation process will start.
- Wait for the ROM to get installed. After ROM gets successfully installed, your phone will land in the recovery mode again. Now
- Same way you have to install kernel file & Google Apps. (Just don’t do the above step i.e, wiping data after installation of Kernel & Gapps). When you finished installation of Gapps, it will land in recovery mode.
- Select reboot system now from the recovery mode itself to Restart the phone.
- Usually first boot of the phone takes some time after flashing of new ROM so be patient.
Congratulations !! Latest Android build i.e, Jelly Bean is now live on your Galaxy S2. Share your thoughts about this newly installed ROM with us. In case if you need a help, feel free to comment it below..
Tip : To restore the ROM which you’ve backup early, enter into recovery, select Backup & Restore -> Restore -> (your latest backup).