For flashing any custom ROM, we need custom recovery. Clockworkmod recovery and TWRP recovery are the most famous custom recoveries. Unlike clockworkmod recovery, TWRP is a touch recovery i.e. in case of CWM recovery, you have to use volume buttons for selection and power or home button for selection. (Although some latest versions of CWM do have touch support.)
Recently the Team Win Recovery Project updated the recovery to version 18.104.22.168 adding numerous new features. Some of them are sideloading from the /tmp directory on encrypted devices, support for a mouse via a USB OTG connection, haptic feedback for buttons and finishing actions, and caps lock support for keyboards. Other feature includes bug fixes, faster graphics rendering and all that.
This latest version of TWRP recovery supports several devices and one of them is Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini I8190. Since several developers recommend latest recoveries for flashing KitKat ROMs, you should install TWRP 22.214.171.124 for better performance. Just go through few simple steps to flash TWRP 126.96.36.199 on your Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini I8190.
The steps mentioned in the following article are considered as risky and may cause damage to your device. If you are not aware of all these things please do not follow this article. Read article completely before execution of any step. We will not be responsible for any damage cause to your device.
This article is intended only for Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini I8190 (also known as golden). Flashing this recovery on any other variant or mobile may result in permanent damage of device. Check device number as follow:
Menu -> Settings ->About device -> Model number
- Ensure that you have charged your mobile at least up to 70% so that installation process will not get interrupted due to lack of power.
- It is recommended to take a backup of all important personal data like SMS, MMS, APN, contacts etc. to the external memory since it may get corrupted during procedure. You can refer these articles for assistance.
- How to Backup Android Contacts and Text Messages (SMS / MMS).
- How to Backup Call logs, APNs and EFS folder from your Android Device.
- Mobile drivers must be installed on your computer. If you haven’t installed it yet click here download it.
- Download latest build of TWRP recovery for Galaxy S3 Mini from official development page.
- TWRP 188.8.131.52 for S3 Mini
- You will need Odin Multi Downloader tool to flash this recovery on your mobile.
- Odin v3.07
- After downloading both files install Odin v3.07 on your computer. While extract GT-I8190_TWRP_184.108.40.206.tar.md5.zip file in convenient location.
- Now boot your device into downloading mode. To do so switch off the mobile. Then press and hold volume down + power button + home button simultaneously until you get Warning message on your screen. Then press only volume up button to continue.
- Connect your mobile to PC via USB cable.
- Launch Odin software installed on your computer. You will get added!! Message in Odin’s message box. You will also find that one of the ID:COM section is turned blue. If you don’t get such a message make sure that you have installed proper drivers on the PC.
- Now click PDA button on the Odin software. Select GT-I8190_TWRP_220.127.116.11.tar.md5 file which you have downloaded earlier.
- Ensure that Auto-Reboot and F.Resest Time is checked. Don’t click anywhere in the Odin.
- Click the Start button to start flashing of recovery. It will take few minutes. After some time your mobile get rebooted automatically showing pass message in Odin’s message box. This suggests that Clockworkmod Recovery is successfully installed in your mobile.
- However if you mobile get stuck or you get a fail message then exit the Odin, disconnect mobile from computer, remove battery and re-insert it and follow the above procedure again.
That’s it! TWRP 18.104.22.168 recovery is successfully installed on your Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini I8190. Now you can perform advanced tasks like flashing ROM, taking nandroid backup etc. If you have any doubts regarding procedure you can ask in the comments section.
Note: In order to boot mobile into recovery mode, switch off mobile and press volume up + home + power button at the same time. For taking nandroid backup refer this article.